Can I do nails if I have bad wrists?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eve26g

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently studying a course with essential nails but I have had a few months break from it, a while back I got what the doctor thought was a ganglion on my wrist, i'd had pain for a while and then got a swelling. That has gone down now but I still find I get achy wrists, I think they must be weak.

I did a secretarial course years ago which had advanced typing on it, that never caused a problem.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should go back to my nail course, or if it would cause a problem. If I am prone to ganglions now, and have weakness, and easily sore wrists, also don't have much strength in my arms, is it advisable or even the right career for me?

I know that it didn't cause the ganglion before as I wasn't doing any work on the course at the time. I just know that nail technician's can be prone to carpal tunnel and other RSI.

Hope you can give me some advice

Thanks

Eve

hiya

i think you would be fine, the only time you would struggle a bit i think is doing Acrylics. When i first started i seemed to be filing for ever, and i did feel the effects, but as you get better and quicker theres less filing to do....

Don't let it stop you doing what you want to do.

Yes we do use our hands alot butts not like were brick layers or labourers I've got arthritis in my hands and have had it since I was 11 years old but I just crack on with it and don't let it stop me x

I have found the only thing that bothers my wrist is a lot of hand filing and a heavy electric file handpiece. I was on the way to getting carpal tunnel in my wrist at a secretary job because I typed 8 hours a day, but doing nails hasn't affected it except the two things I mentioned.

What does your doctor say?

I broke my arm really badly about 7 years ago. The bone come through my skin and pierced my nerves on the way out (gross haha)

I have really weak wrist now, (can barely hold a hairdryer) yet haven't ever had a problem doing nails! X

as a massge /physo and nail tech i have expersance from both sides , first make sure the way you work is correct ie chair ,lighting ,desk layout it amazing what a differnce that can make and also look at get some wrists supports and then try to build your wrist and for arm mucsles up with a little wight also take breacks and do wrist rolls to refresh your joints .
but dont let it stop you nails are brillent and lets face it when thebug bites youcan not do them lol ,good luck :Love:

Latest posts

Back