Can I learn in a different brand than what I will be using in salon? Gelish/Gelicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam1206

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm just about to start my second year Beauty therapy course, and I have already covered manicure. My boss would like me to start doing Gelicure in the salon, but first I have to attend a course.

I contacted a company, who after a week didn't get back to my email inquiring about their Gelicure course.

I contacted a second company, who is a smaller business with only one tutor. Its alot more personal and she got back to me within 24 hours. She is really flexible and the class will be one to one. I have booked in with her. She said it will only be half a day and that she uses Gelish.

Now the first company has finally got back to me. Usually I wouldn't goto them as they took so long to reply, but they are £30 cheaper, and use Gelicure which will be the brand I am using in the salon. This wont be one to one, i'll be in a group, but its a full day, rather than half a day.

Now I'm confused on who I should pick! I don't care if the course is a bit cheaper, but I am interested because they use the same brand. What course would you go for? Will it make much a difference learning in one brand, and using another in salon?

Hiya,

You can of course learn whatever you want but surely you wouldn't want to?

Why would you want to know the inside our information on a product that you don't use? They're not all the same and to use something to its full capability you need to understand it fully

I would go for the course on the product that you will be using, it will be relevant, the tutor will know the product and be able to answer your questions and the larger group may mean you meet other local professionals and expand on your own network!

For me, this is a no brainier- learn what you're using- anything else would be irrelevant

X

For insurance purposes you need to do the training of the brand you will be using in the salon. Out of interest though if it is your employing requesting you train why aren't they paying for the course?

The reason I asked was because I told the lady I would be using Gelicure and she said they were identical products and that it would be fine! (her words not mine!)

What you have said totally makes sense, and has helped with my decisions, thank you!

I don't have to do the gelicure in the salon as there is someone there already able to do it, but my manager has said if I want to start she'll be happy for me to do it. She said once I'm trained she will let me use the products to practise with until I'm ready to start applying on paying customers. xx

Personally I would go for the training which covers the gel you are going to be using. The composition of gels will of course vary as will protocol for application and removal etc..etc.
As another poster has stated, I am concerned that your employer is expecting you to pay for and organise product training for yourself?? If I employ someone that happens to be already trained in a particular product or system then it's a bonus, otherwise they receive in house training or go to a training centre at our expense. This includes travel costs and is carried out on a working day or if not possible then they receive a holiday day to compensate xx

The circumstances are a bit different, my employer hasn't requested that I start to do Gelicure, as someone already does this and she doesn't need another member of staff to carry out Gelicure. However, I have shown an interest, and she has agreed to let me use the products if I am trained up.

Sorry if my original post gave the wrong impression.

She is already training me in house for other things, and is very helpful, I'm really lucky!

Latest posts

Back