Can I steal some location opinions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skymark

Lisamarie
Reaction score
I have most things set up for my new venture except I am torn right now between two different particular shops and the problem is they are 1 and a half hours apart!

One location is close to where I live (within 10 minutes), but is in a city that is seemingly saturated with beauty salons and so competition would probably prove to be my biggest problem. The up side is obviously it's proximity to me and that I can spend longer there seen as it's closer.

The second is in a town that takes 1 and a half hours to drive to, but it's a town that doesn't have a salon at all of the type that I am looking to create. I really believe that there is more business and money making potential with this one as it's a bit of an untapped market.

Obviously the commuting and probable times i'd have to stay over in the further one is the major downside. My last job had a 1 hour bus commute each way so i'm used to getting home late.

I do have somebody to manage the further one that is incredibly good if I decided to go with that location, so trust isn't a big problem for me, more the travelling.

What in your opinion geeks would be a better way to go, less potential but close or more potential with the distance?

Both have their own risks I think, but I want to be very sure in myself as I am personally putting up the cash for the business from start to finish.

So some headaches and anxiety attacks going on right now :eek:

Any opinions welcome as always.

:hug:

hi..It depends on how hungry you are to succeed,
do you have family comitments, and so forth. 1 1/2 hours travelling is a long way to go. I personally wouldn't consider it as i'm lazy, but saying that I'm not rich either, my shops just round the corner and yes i have a lot of competition, but You knowthat you will have the comp, if you go for the nearest shop. Your probably have competition rear it ugly head sooner rather than later at the furthest salon anyway.what a decision to make, whatever you decide, hopefully you will feel the right decision has been made, I try to always think my glass is half full, not half empty.
So good luck in your venture.thg:confused:

do you have family comitments, and so forth. 1 1/2 hours travelling is a long way to go. I personally wouldn't consider it as i'm lazy, but saying that I'm not rich either, my shops just round the corner and yes i have a lot of competition, but You knowthat you will have the comp, if you go for the nearest shop. Your probably have competition rear it ugly head sooner rather than later at the furthest salon anyway.what a decision to make, whatever you decide, hopefully you will feel the right decision has been made, I try to always think my glass is half full, not half empty.

Thanks for your thoughts and support thg.

Is is a dilemma but it does help to hear the thoughts of geeks like yourself.

:hug:

I agree with all of this.:idea:

Personally I would go for the closer to home one. The city may look saturated with beauty salons but it's also saturated with people, ie potential clients. Probably much more so than the town you descibe. :)idea: Maybe the town doesn't have a beauty salon because there is little call for one??) only a thought.

Good luck whichever way you go :hug:

Hiya chuck, I am from Yorkshire and have jut moved away so am dead familiar with the area .....if you want to tell me where you are looking I may be able to give you my honest opinion about the locations?? Your welcome to pm me xxxxxx

HI

I agree with Blossom, have you done some market research in the town you are thinking of? Is your manager from that area?

Although it does not have a salon is it overrun with Mobile's or home salon's?

It is quite a distance away and 3 hours traveling a day is quite a lot.

Think of it this way if your at home and there is an emergency at the salon and they need you NOW (which does happen believe me!) you can be there in 10 Min's or 1.5 hours of stressful driving???

Will your manager be happy commuting?

Personally i would go for the closer option if its a good size and in a good position, city's mean chimney pots = lots of clients.

You can look at other ways to stand out from your competition e.g. a different product line or more services and fantastic therapists and customer service.

HTH

Hiya chuck, I am from Yorkshire and have jut moved away so am dead familiar with the area .....if you want to tell me where you are looking I may be able to give you my honest opinion about the locations?? Your welcome to pm me xxxxxx

Im in Yorkshire too..:lol:..and my towns was a bit swamped, more with hairdresers then nail techs. A few have moved out of town or simply closed so im hoping to pick up from that. i'd stick closer to home. Would you fancy a 90 min drive every morning and night? In horrible weather as well as the good? You need to think long term.

I sound grown up...i dont like it:rolleyes:. xxxx

Latest posts

Back