Can I use Gelish top coat instead over Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessie lloydy

Reaction score
I use shellac and I've noticed after every time I've applied and used the shellac topcoat, then used dsperse the colour keeps coming off a bit. I'm positive I'm covering the nail completely with topcoat, so I didn't know whether to just purchase a gelish topcoat tomorrow (shellac I'll have to order online and wait) but didn't know if you could mix them. Also is there such thing as applying to much d.sperse and that's why some of the color is being removed? Please help as I can't see why it's doing this it's very frustrating, especially when you are sure you're being thorough with all the polish applications!! Thank you anyone who could please help with how I'm going wrong! Xxx

I'm not cnd trained but you shouldn't mix those two brands. Gelish can be used with other gel polish brands, but as shellac isn't a gel polish its not to be mixed - hope that makes sense Hun?

Have you tried doing two coats of the top? The fingernail fixer did a video about the top coat, and how to ensure full coverage, good luck Xxx

If there's loads of colour coming off when you d sperse then it means u haven't sealed all the edges with ur top coat! If u get a little bit on your pad it doesn't mean ur not covering it completely n it doesn't mean ur doing anything wrong! Sometimes a bit of colour will still come off, as long as its not loads then ur application is fine!!

Regarding the gellish top coat I'm not 100% sure but I would say to keep shellac with shellac n gellish with gellish as ur meant to use the same system throughout ur entire application!! Hope this helps x x

Hi are your bulbs ok? The only way you would have colour coming off is either a curing issue or you're not totally covering the nail. It's so hard to see that you've totally covered the whole nail with topcoat sometimes. Hth x

If there is colour coming off the you are not covering the application completely with topcoat.
You may think you are but there must be areas you are missing so I'd suggest slowing this step down and really focusing application on each nail.

Shellac should only be used as a complete system and two top coats will not make a difference, albeit using more product and possibly catching the areas you are missing.

Hi Nessie

You should absolutely not mix brands. Not only does it look unprofessional but you risk service breakdown.

If you are still seeing colour when you wipe off and you are positive it's not coming off anything you may have used to correct your application then you aren't covering the whole nail.

Use a nice thin coat but float over it and apply as if you were applying a red polish, carefully and completely.

With more practice I am sure you'll get the hang or why not do a course and then you wont have to ask.

:)

Thank you people, must be my application of that topcoat then!! It's just been happened the last two people I've shellaced, so maybe I need to reposition myself in my room so I can properly see using the light where I'm getting that topcoat! Xxx there hasnt been loads coming off and onto the pad, just little bits on a couple nails here and there, which is enough to be annoying for you and the paying person!! :) xx it's frustrating though when you're trained and usually everything is perfect when you do it, thankyou all for your help as I have only just started working from home!! :) love this website it's so useful!! :) xxx

didn't think you should mix brands but always best to make sure with people who will Defo know! Thanks all again!

Thank you people, must be my application of that topcoat then!! It's just been happened the last two people I've shellaced, so maybe I need to reposition myself in my room so I can properly see using the light where I'm getting that topcoat! Xxx there hasnt been loads coming off and onto the pad, just little bits on a couple nails here and there, which is enough to be annoying for you and the paying person!! :) xx it's frustrating though when you're trained and usually everything is perfect when you do it, thankyou all for your help as I have only just started working from home!! :) love this website it's so useful!! :) xxx

I always find that the top coat takes me the longest to apply! It's clear so you can't see where you are going with it! Really slow down your top coat application be very precise, slow and controlled! It takes me longer than the two minute cure on the lamp to paint the top coat :)

Also as everyone has said mixing brands is a big no no! Especially with CND Shellac!! As CND Shellac is not a Gel polish its a power polish! So using a gel polish over it would defiantly cause service break down and also excessive removal time!

If you're unsure its always worth using the search function as you will find most questions have been asked before and people get a bit tired of answering the same posts so it may get ignored. If you genuinely can't find it after searching then don't be afraid to ask. This forum is an invaluable tool for me. especially as I work alone and dont have anyone to ask advice from.

Good idea getting yourself into better lighting, you'll get there :)

If you're unsure its always worth using the search function as you will find most questions have been asked before and people get a bit tired of answering the same posts so it may get ignored. If you genuinely can't find it after searching then don't be afraid to ask. This forum is an invaluable tool for me. especially as I work alone and dont have anyone to ask advice from.

Good idea getting yourself into better lighting, you'll get there :)

CND says no, HNH Gelish says yes. Go figure.

CND says no, HNH Gelish says yes. Go figure.

Are you sure?? So if I ring up HNH and ask if I can use gelish top coat over CND Shellac they are going to say yes??? Hmmmmm I think not! They will follow the MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS which is to use the full system!! I feel like I can write think and just leave blanks for you all to say it in your head!

Everything comes with manufactures instructions TV, Microwave, Clothes! If you don't follow the MI your insurance will not cover you!

Are you sure?? So if I ring up HNH and ask if I can use gelish top coat over CND Shellac they are going to say yes??? Hmmmmm I think not! They will follow the MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS which is to use the full system!! I feel like I can write think and just leave blanks for you all to say it in your head!

Everything comes with manufactures instructions TV, Microwave, Clothes! If you don't follow the MI your insurance will not cover you!

Before you start with the attitude, please check your facts. Yes, I am sure. HNH does say that their base and top coats can be used with anyone's colour coats. They not only say it, they have advertised it for well over two years (see below). Thus, this is fully within HNH's instructions. My point was that we all know we should follow the manufacturer's instructions, but what is the proper response when one manufacturer says yes and the other manufacturer says no.

For some reason, SG is not letting me upload the clip of the Gelish ad. Here is a link to a Nails Magazine issue that has the ad - There's a four page HNH Gelish ad starting on page 20, look on page 23. -http://issuu.com/bobit_nails/docs/nails_magazine_jan2011_flipbk

Attachments

• Pages from Nails_Magazine_Jan2011_FlipBk.pdf
    249.5 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
I agree Nancysyd because Nail Harmony definitely DO say Gelish top can be used with other SOG's but as CND say that Shellac isn't a SOG then maybe it shouldn't be used with it.

I agree Nancysyd because Nail Harmony definitely DO say Gelish top can be used with other SOG's but as CND say that Shellac isn't a SOG then maybe it shouldn't be used with it.

But Shellac is a SOG. CND likes to distinguish it by saying it's a Power Polish, but that's just a marketing term. But by any standard, Shellac is a SOGP, even its MSDS says it. But I think the larger issue is the problem when one manufacturer says one thing and the other says another. Intermixing is a lot like the lamp issue. Sooner or later the manufacturers are going to have to get together and agree on some standards.

Don't worry peeps I'm not going to mix products last night I did my own nails in BETTER lighting, really looked at that topcoat and they are perfect!! I just found it disheartening with 2 people in a row there seemed to be little spots of colour loss after the dsperse but I feel happier this morning knowing the light made all the difference, and I was probably rushing the topcoat xxx I watched "the finger nail fixer" on YouTube also so whoever mentioned that thanks she's brill!! 😊😊

But Shellac is a SOG. CND likes to distinguish it by saying it's a Power Polish, but that's just a marketing term. But by any standard, Shellac is a SOGP, even its MSDS says it. But I think the larger issue is the problem when one manufacturer says one thing and the other says another. Intermixing is a lot like the lamp issue. Sooner or later the manufacturers are going to have to get together and agree on some standards.

I have a copy of the CND Shellac MSDS and it doesn't say on mine that its a SOGP?

Just to confirm one fact with you about CND Shellac is that it's defiantly not a SOGP maybe Bluesky shellac or that other copy are probably SOGP but the original CND Shellac always has been and always will be a power polish. CND have its own research and development team they actually make there products them selves they don't buy them of a mass manufacture and just privet label it! You will notice in the SOGP circle that quite a lot of brands have the same colours :) also look at there pattern? What is it for? The formulae? I think not :)
If you look on your CND Shellac MSDS sheet you will be able to see what is different about CND Shellac, it contains monomer, polymers, plasticisers and solvents making it a unique power polish :)

To the OP good luck on those polishing skills! Holly aka fingernail fixer has some amazing videos but also don't forget to practice :)

I have a copy of the CND Shellac MSDS and it doesn't say on mine that its a SOGP?

Just to confirm one fact with you about CND Shellac is that it's defiantly not a SOGP maybe Bluesky shellac or that other copy are probably SOGP but the original CND Shellac always has been and always will be a power polish. CND have its own research and development team they actually make there products them selves they don't buy them of a mass manufacture and just privet label it! You will notice in the SOGP circle that quite a lot of brands have the same colours :) also look at there pattern? What is it for? The formulae? I think not :)
If you look on your CND Shellac MSDS sheet you will be able to see what is different about CND Shellac, it contains monomer, polymers, plasticisers and solvents making it a unique power polish :)

To the OP good luck on those polishing skills! Holly aka fingernail fixer has some amazing videos but also don't forget to practice :)

No, in section 1.2 of the MSDS Shellac is a named as a gel lacquer, like all the others. Furthermore, if you check the ingredients, you will see that CND Shellac contains the same oliomers and monmers that define a gel polish and that other gel polishes have. CND Shellac is more of a hybrid than brands like Gelish or Just Gel, but Light Elegance, NSI Polish Pro and OPI GelColor are also, to differing extents, hybrids like CND Shellac. OPI has manufacturing and R&D that easily outguns CND. Chemically, CND Shellac is a gel polish/lacquer. "Power Polish" has no scientific meaning; it is simply a very effective market term. Now, none of this is said to disparage CND Shellac at all - CND Shellac is a great product but it is no more unique than any of the other gel polish brands. Each of the major brands has unique qualities which is what this such an interesting time in the nail industry. Again, not to disparage CND Shellac in the least but it is factually incorrect to say that it is not a gel polish/lacquer. I get that people love their CND Shellac, but the facts speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Indeed! Our industry is equipped with many fabulous products now! This is an exciting time to be a nail tech ! And product loyalty is a good thing . But marketing , especially in the beauty biz, is all about hype and oneupsmanship!

Latest posts

Back