Can you claim for your driving lessons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KateeLouise

Reaction score
Hey geeks, just a quick question as in title if you do driving lessons for business purposes would you be able to claim it back at all? And could you also claim for a car for business use only xx

Probably not. It seems a bit much and you couldn't prove it was just for business. Plus it's your choice to learn. Just like it would be your choice to do further training courses for your business. You wouldn't claim that back.

LolliDolli💋

I thought you could claim for advanced learning for your business but not initial learning

Probably not. It seems a bit much and you couldn't prove it was just for business. Plus it's your choice to learn. Just like it would be your choice to do further training courses for your business. You wouldn't claim that back.

LolliDolli��

I thought you could claim for advanced learning for your business but not initial learning
You CAN claim on your expenses for further training & if the car is for sole business use you can claim for them too - if you plan to be mobile and driving is imperitive then I suppose the driving lessons could be claimed for too. To be sure ring HMRC and ask them, they are really helpfull.

You CAN claim on your expenses for further training & if the car is for sole business use you can claim for them too - if you plan to be mobile and driving is imperitive then I suppose the driving lessons could be claimed for too. To be sure ring HMRC and ask them, they are really helpfull.

Thanks xx

Surely you not just going to use your car for work though you would use it for shopping going to see friends etc.x

Some people do have a car that is just for work (for example - my other half used to have a work car and we had our own car for personal use).

Some people use their car for business & personal use.
If you use it for personal use and work then you have to work out the percent of personal use & percent of work use then you charge that work percent of your car bills to the business.

If you have a car you use more for personal use than for work it may work out better to just claim the set 45p per mile rather than a percent of all car bills.

People need to stop trying to claim everything left right and centre. Driving is one of the best things I ever Learnt to do and doing it all on your own makes you feel like you've really achieved something. And you may think you would only use it for business but once you have that freedom there's no way you'd still be catching a bus!
Same with courses. Just because you 'CAN' claim doesn't mean you should.

LolliDolli💋

Some people do have a car that is just for work (for example - my other half used to have a work car and we had our own car for personal use).

Yes exactly you had a car just for work but another car for pleasure. It doesn't matter if one car Is just for work and one isn't. She's claiming for lessons not for cars so shouldn't be driving any car for leisure.
Do it the old fashioned way and save up.

LolliDolli💋

People need to stop trying to claim everything left right and centre. Driving is one of the best things I ever Learnt to do and doing it all on your own makes you feel like you've really achieved something. And you may think you would only use it for business but once you have that freedom there's no way you'd still be catching a bus!
Same with courses. Just because you 'CAN' claim doesn't mean you should.

LolliDolli💋

Yes exactly you had a car just for work but another car for pleasure. It doesn't matter if one car Is just for work and one isn't. She's claiming for lessons not for cars so shouldn't be driving any car for leisure.
Do it the old fashioned way and save up.

LolliDolli💋
Why would I not claim an expense that is for my business? Why would I not put the cost of my course through as an expense?

Of course you do courses because you want to but your doing them to expand your business too, why shouldn't the business pay for that? It would pay for an employee to train so why not the business owner (or the sole trader)?

Of course we are all trying to claim (put as an expense) everthing we can that is business related, why shouldn't we. It's not like anyone is going to give me free money to pay my bills, I have to earn that money.

It's not wrong to charge the business for it's costs. If HMRC says she can claim driving lessons back from her business expenses then why shouldn't she?

I think the word claim makes it seem like someone else is giving us the money when the fact is nobody gives us anything, we just get a tax break by being allowed to earn back what we have spent on the business without having to pay tax on it - what is wrong with that?

Sorry it's a post full of questions as I just don't understand why anyone would be so against claiming business expenses.

I'm a self employed hairdresser with an accountant as my boyfriend and I claim all my petrol reciepts, any clothes I but for work and products too. I keep all receipts for proof of purchase. I also brought a car 2 years ago and yes I've put that through too as i need my car for my work. How else would I get around?

I personally wouldnt put my driving lessons through, on the basis that I would be able to drive for life... I would use that skill to see friends, do my shopping, make my life easier.

If my actual car was 100% work only I would put that through. But as it isnt, I do as baggybear mentioned 45p per mile for each appointment.

But just check with HMRC first, before you do put it through, they are really helpful.

Xx

I also pay my tax so I agree with putting my receipts through

I'm a self employed hairdresser with an accountant as my boyfriend and I claim all my petrol reciepts, any clothes I but for work and products too. I keep all receipts for proof of purchase. I also brought a car 2 years ago and yes I've put that through too as i need my car for my work. How else would I get around?

If you dont use your car for personal use, you are fine.

If you do use your car for personal use, then it should be worked out in %'s.

There is ONE loop hole if the car is a new low emissions car then it can be also used for personal use. But id double check with HMRC before taking my word as gospel :) xx

Thanks all, I already have a car that I practice in my fiancé bought it for us both he said when I pass I can use the car as personal and see about a business car, my fiance has a work van that he only uses for business and uses the car for personal. Xx

Latest posts

Back