Can you help me with my brush please!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natural Beauty

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Firstly i want to apoligise. It seems im always asking questions but dont very often reply to any, this is because at the moment i dont feel like i know enough to be able to offer any valuable advise so i hope you dont mind and i hope that soon i maybe able to help others the way you all help me!!

So heres for another question (or few!!) Im having abit of trouble with my brush, Im getting the yellow streaking when im wiping. Ive been reading a few other posts and discovered this is due to contamination. So my first question is there anything i can do? ive read that the best thing to do is get a new one but i would like to try all options before i do this. I know its my own fault i havent looked after it well, not an excuse but im fairly new to this and have been concentrating so hard on my smile lines/ratios/thickness etc that stupidly i have neglected "my best friend"

Secondly what exactly causes contamination and what effect does it have on the enhancement whan you use a contaminated brush?

And lastly when and if i can salvage my brush or with my new brush what should i be doing before/during/after to prevent contamination. I already have a bed for it and keep it lead flat.

Thanks guys i dont know what i would do with out you, i definatly wouldnt have progressed as i have without all your tips

xxx

Hi Hun,

I cant really offer you any advice but I just want you to know your not alone with you brush.

I converted to CND in June and I have already gone through 3 brushes where I have ruined them :irked:. Its so annoying as it took me a while to get used to using a different brush and then I go an ruin it!!!

I now keep mine in the little black box and if I know I dont have any clients booked and its at risk of drying out I dip it in some monomer just to keep it damp.

My main problem was leaving acrylic on it without realising but I am slowly learning (at my own cost!!!)

xxx

Hi!

This happened to me many years ago when I first started doing nails, and unfortunatly for me, I couldnt save my brush! I cleaned and soaked it many times to try and save it, but it was that badly contaminated, I had to bin it! :( Sometimes contamination is caused by liquid getting into the barrel of the brush, which tends to react to the adhesive in the barrel. Make sure you are not dipping your brush too far into your liquid so that liquid can enter the barrel.

Always after use, clean and store your brush laying down so that no remaining liquid runs down into the barrel.

If you continue to use a contaminated brush, it may affect the colour or clarity of the acrylic.

hth x x

Hi love! Brush contamination is a real pain in the butt.

Here's what I do and I find it works well!

I bought an empty polish bottle and half filled it with monomer. I have a small alligator clip and I put around the handle of my brush. I leave my brush suspended in the monomer (the clip ensures that the flags of my brush do not rest on the bottom of the bottle). I do this with my main brush - that way it is always clean and I haven't had any contamination issues.

Yellowing is most often caused when monomer dries in the ferrule portion of your brush. A common practice is to clean your brush with mild soap and water, rinse thoroughly and then dip and wipe in clean monomer.

You cannot avoid getting monomer in the ferrule portion of your brush because you must fully submerge your brush and press it against the bottom of your dampen dish to release all of the air bubbles in your brush.

With my smaller art brushes - when I am not using them, I slide them into my desk lamp's spring so that they are always hanging bristles down.

Hope this helps!

This topic was just discussed only yesterday.
When asking questions on the site it is useful to at least scan through more thread titles than just those on the first page to see if your question has already been asked and answered and also to go to Search and put in contamination.

Here is the thread that was posted just yesterday.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/96035-brush-contamination.html

This topic was just discussed only yesterday.
When asking questions on the site it is useful to at least scan through more thread titles than just those on the first page to see if your question has already been asked and answered and also to go to Search and put in contamination.

Here is the thread that was posted just yesterday.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/96035-brush-contamination.html

THank you for all your tips and advise. I ALWAYS search through a number of pages and do a search before i post anything on here and have read said post but as i had a number of questions i didnt feel that this post answered them all fully.

I have noticed that the actual handle of my brush, just above the metal has got very sticky would this have caused the contamination.

THank you for all your tips and advise. I ALWAYS search through a number of pages and do a search before i post anything on here and have read said post but as i had a number of questions i didnt feel that this post answered them all fully.

I have noticed that the actual handle of my brush, just above the metal has got very sticky would this have caused the contamination.

This happens with most people's brushes but it won't contaminate the hair of the brush. It might cause you some derma problems if you keep getting your fingers in the sticky mess.

Remove stickiness using a soft white block buffer and then put a little solar oil on your brush handle and it will look like new again. Don't be tempted to remove the stickiness with a solvent like Scrub Fresh or your brush handle will have microcracks in it and eventually break.

I actually thought the post answered all of your questions apart form the one about what using a contaminated brush does to the enhancement. It causes yellowing of the product and ageing of the product and it can even be a cause of enhancement breakdown. However it will be visible. Try nailzoo's suggestion ... it can't hurt.

Latest posts

Back