Canadian geeks need your advice !!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dee

supernatural geek
Reaction score
cambridge,ON canada .. but originally from uk , lo
hi ya since moving over i have noticed the nail industry is a bit different ... so wold just like to maybe chat to some canadian geeks about how they run their businesses ,
thanks dee x

Regarding what specifically? I'm not sure what the differences would be in comparison to where you're from.
I'd love to help, but need a more direct question?

:hug:

hi chick , i think i am just a bit thrown by things over here , i knew there was a lot of "quick" salons lol but it seems theres hardly any regular ones !! , and everyone seems to use drills :eek:
i just dont know wether i should start training to use a drill or stay as i am ?? but theres no way i can compete with places throwing out nails in 30 mins ,
think i just feel a bit overwhelmed , coz in the uk at least where i was from there wasnt really any salons that used drills etc......

I hear you Dee - it is a lot different here than in the UK. The UK seems to take our business a lot more seriously and I envy them that. There is very little regulation in this country and it is really, really sad.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to vent - I am sure Victoria and I would totally be able to help you and understand what you may be going through. Its a HUGE culture shock!

Welcome to Canada!

I hate to break it to you sweetie, but Canada does NOT have the standards that the UK does in terms of the nail industry. It's been a HUGE frustration to me for some time now.

You 'might' consider getting training in use of an e-file, to speed up your process a bit (I use one). But you will still be slower than the nail bars.
Don't try to compete with them. Try to show the HUGE difference there is between your nails and theirs, and build your client base that way.
It was slow going, but I finally got a base. My clients are well aware of the differences between myself and the local nail bars. They educate their friends, and then refer them to me.
Now and then, I get one that just can't stand the 1.5hrs it takes. Ah well, she's welcome to nail damage and infection around the corner. Someone else will show up to appreciate my efforts, just as they will for you.
It just takes a while.

Offer something in your service that the cheap shops don't. Pinkie bottles of oil with first set, or whatever...
Also, don't be afraid to fight against the scams.
One of my flyers read in part "were your UV Gel nails applied with powder? then they are NOT UV Gel" and then I go to explain about my gel.....

Giant hugs and feel free to pick my brains any time.
:hug:

You are in great hands if you have Victoria and Mel on your mentor list!!

But don't do the Canadian nail business down ladies ... there are PLENTY of problems in the nail industry here in the UK too as we also have no regulations here either.

It is up to the like of you guys to set the standards and you are doing it, same as I did years and years ago when I insisted on education before anyone could buy CND products. It may make for slower growth but it makes for better growth, better technicians and loyalty ... which is everything.

Why the whole reason this site was started was to raise standards and by jingo it has done just that and it is all education that techs would never have got from their suppliers (unless their supplier was CND lol) or colleges as we have seen and see evidence of every day. How many times do we hear people say ... "if it wasn't for this site ....."!!! So we serve a great purpose here on the salon geek .... I'm proud of all of us and it really is quite unique.

Best of luck in beautiful Canada!!

Latest posts

Back