Cancer treatment and nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiana123

Reaction score
i was at a beauty show on the weekend and there was a stall about how to adapt massage for people who have previously had cancer in there life
Is there anything nail related that i would need to adapt in regaurds to people who have had cancer or who are receieving treatment now? -up till now ive never thought about it as ive never had to cross that bridge but the show made me think
Thanks

I had to look into this recently as one of my regulars was sadly diagnosed.

At the hospital they told her she could wear normal polish (dark is recommended as the treatment progresses as the nails can become blotchy and dark). Shellac/acrylic/gel was not allowed, reason being that the cancer treatment can make the nails separate from the nailbeds and any additional weight of product on the nail would make it even more likely that this would happen.

Hope that helps x

Last edited:
I had to look into this recently as one of my regulars was sadly diagnosed.

At the hospital they told her she could wear normal polish (dark is recommended as the treatment progresses as the nails can become blotchy and dark). Shellac/acrylic/gel was not allowed, reason being that the cancer treatment can make the nails separate from the nailbeds and any additional weight of product on the nail would make it even more likely that this would happen.

Hope that helps x
Oh im sorry to hear that , so the dark colour will help hide the blochyness on the nails?
So if anyone was to ask i can only apply normal polish,
Is there anything that can affect people differently after they have been treated?

Oh im sorry to hear that , so the dark colour will help hide the blochyness on the nails?
So if anyone was to ask i can only apply normal polish,
Is there anything that can affect people differently after they have been treated?
Yes that's my understanding, just polish. And yes, to disguise the marks.

I think the nails/plates remain fragile for a few months as chemo/radio really blasts the body sadly. I'm unsure when it would be ok again actually, I would certainly look for a doctors note to say it was ok. Maybe someone else will know

Yes that's my understanding, just polish. And yes, to disguise the marks.

I think the nails/plates remain fragile for a few months as chemo/radio really blasts the body sadly. I'm unsure when it would be ok again actually, I would certainly look for a doctors note to say it was ok. Maybe someone else will know
Okay great thanks for your help:)

Best source of information in my opinion http://www.beautydespitecancer.co.uk they run special training courses that give you a qualification (nails, massage, facials etc). No affiliation just a satisfied customer. Am trained nail tech and have gone though breast surgery and radiotherapy myself this year. Probably obvious, but no cutting of cuticles, keep everything really sanitised and if possible and disposable nail files etc. Susan

A friend of mine recently underwent radiotherapy and chemotherapy. It was recommended by the oncologist that she use a dark colour as Blossom says as the nails can discolour quite badly particularly on the hand that the chemo goes into. Again, as Blossom says the nails are fragile and can be prone to lifting. She was advised that she could have a gel polish but not extensions and they were very keen to ensure that all tools were properly clean and sanitised and advised her to think about the salon she took the service at! When you have radiotherapy you can end up with lymphedema on the side of treatment if you cut or nick yourself so prep work needs to be gentle and techs should be aware of this and ensure no cutting of any live skin around the cuticle area.

But my lady did say that at a time when she was feeling probably worse than at any other time in her life, it really perked her up (as much as it could) to have a pretty colour on her nails & toes. Made her feel human again, she said.

Best source of information in my opinion http://www.beautydespitecancer.co.uk they run special training courses that give you a qualification (nails, massage, facials etc). No affiliation just a satisfied customer. Am trained nail tech and have gone though breast surgery and radiotherapy myself this year. Probably obvious, but no cutting of cuticles, keep everything really sanitised and if possible and disposable nail files etc. Susan
Thats a great help thank you

A friend of mine recently underwent radiotherapy and chemotherapy. It was recommended by the oncologist that she use a dark colour as Blossom says as the nails can discolour quite badly particularly on the hand that the chemo goes into. Again, as Blossom says the nails are fragile and can be prone to lifting. She was advised that she could have a gel polish but not extensions and they were very keen to ensure that all tools were properly clean and sanitised and advised her to think about the salon she took the service at! When you have radiotherapy you can end up with lymphedema on the side of treatment if you cut or nick yourself so prep work needs to be gentle and techs should be aware of this and ensure no cutting of any live skin around the cuticle area.
Thanks for your help:)

I've had a few clients with cancer sadly some are no longer with us but one client at them moment is currently going through treatment, doctors have said she can have dark coloured gel on her nails, obviously I take more gentle care, throw away files, everywhere is sanitised and disinfected. She is prone to infection, more so within 10 days after a chemo session & her nails are more sensitive. Her diagnosis isn't great but hopefully her treatment will help her fight & prolong her life. The gel has helped her nails keep condition compared to her previous treatments where she had nothing on her nails.
I hate cancer [emoji17] X

I've had a few clients with cancer sadly some are no longer with us but one client at them moment is currently going through treatment, doctors have said she can have dark coloured gel on her nails, obviously I take more gentle care, throw away files, everywhere is sanitised and disinfected. She is prone to infection, more so within 10 days after a chemo session & her nails are more sensitive. Her diagnosis isn't great but hopefully her treatment will help her fight & prolong her life. The gel has helped her nails keep condition compared to her previous treatments where she had nothing on her nails.
I hate cancer [emoji17] X
Oh thats horrible thanks for your advice

I work within the nhs where we do massage and nails on the wards. What we do is brand new files and a fresh bottle of polish each time. The patients can keep both. I don't do any cuticle work or cutting/clipping of the nails. With patients having such low immune system its important to stop the possiablity of any infections or any thing because they will find it hard to fight against it while having treatment x

Does anyone know if it's ok for me to do extensions on a client who finished chemotherapy 4 months ago please? X

She should get the okay from her doctor first ask her for a note from her provider that it's okay.

Ok thank you ... Her chemo provider? Or is just doctor ok?

Oncologist

Latest posts

Back