Cant Wait!!! Hot Stone Therapy!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahmarie

Reaction score
Hi guys!! Just wanted to share..

I am aware that some of you MAY be disapointed to hear that I am talking about home learn courses.. BUT, I personally think that they can prove to be perfect for alot of us!

I have had an enrolment form through for BSY, and they are doing 2 courses for the price of one.. AND you can pay in monthly instalments interest free.. SO, in my opinion, it's too good an offer to miss!!

The therapies/beauty/well being courses are generally about £325 each and so therefore you can do two courses, and achieve recognised certification in these (diplomas) for £335 instead of about £670!! (different courses are priced differently)

I have filled out the form and am doing the massage course and the hot stone one.. I pay £85 deposit, then just £25 per month for ten months for them both!!..

I think it's great!
I know that this type of learning does not compare to the amount of practical learning that we do in colleges, but Apparently they are supported by BABTAC and more, so I know that the qualifications wont be worthless when I complete them..

What do you reckon guys? :hug:

Sarah
xx

The main thing you need to be sure of is whether you insurance company will recognize the qualification - if not you will have wasted a lot of time and money. Give them a ring and check it out before you sign up for anything.:hug:

Yes you are very right..

The course provider (BSY) did say that they have insurance providers if I struggle to find cover once qualified however.

Their cover may be very expensive/restrictive etc though I know..

You can do the courses a lot cheaper than that if you shop around.

I have done a BSY course and it was an absolute load of PAP!
I rang to complain and basically who you are speaking to is a very good salesperson who will say ABSOLUTELY anything to get you to sign up for the courses.

You want my opinion, just take your monthly installments and flush them down the loo!

how can anyone learn massage or hot stone without practical tuition????????????? it amazes me that babtac suport this!!!!! i also think that distance courses are ok for extra knowledge or a+p tho in some cases! sorry to put a downer onnn the course hun.x

I think with these courses you will have to do a 1 day practical session ( at extra cost) to pass the course and get insurance. There really is no way you could learn enough practical skills for these treatments in a day.

I'm not being funny as I have done training with them myself. This was after I'd done Swedish massage at college for a year and already had experience.

"I know that this type of learning does not compare to the amount of practical learning that we do in colleges, but Apparently they are supported by BABTAC and more, so I know that the qualifications wont be worthless when I complete them." (Sarah)

"how can anyone learn massage or hot stone without practical tuition????????????? it amazes me that babtac suport this!!!!!" (Vicky)

Hiyall

Errrrmmmm... it's 6am Tuesday, and I've just come across this thread. I'm having this checked later today, but, to be honest, I'm far from sure we actually do 'support' this. Other Associations may endorse home learning courses, but although we endorse many hundreds of excellent compaies and courses, I'm far from sure we endorse any distance learning programmes..

Sarah - what do you actually mean by 'support'? Who told you what?

Back as soon as I have an answer.

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
Marketing Services Manager
BABTAC

re: insurance

BSY offered to put me in touch with an insurance company with my course. that sent alarm bells ringing as to me, that says their is NO guarantee that you will get relevant insurance, AND how much, if their is insurance, it would be?!

Walk away from it, I implore you!

Even if BSY courses are insurable, I personally think it would be hard to learn massage and / or hot stones without the guidance of a tutor. How will you know if you are doing everything right? I agree with others, steer clear! It may seem like an economical option atm but seriously, how many of us have paid out for courses (and equipment.. and products..) that have turned out to be rubbish ? Imho, price should not be the leading factor when making choices like this :hug:

"I know that this type of learning does not compare to the amount of practical learning that we do in colleges, but Apparently they are supported by BABTAC and more, so I know that the qualifications wont be worthless when I complete them." (Sarah)

"how can anyone learn massage or hot stone without practical tuition????????????? it amazes me that babtac suport this!!!!!" (Vicky)

Hiyall

Errrrmmmm... it's 6am Tuesday, and I've just come across this thread. I'm having this checked later today, but, to be honest, I'm far from sure we actually do 'support' this. Other Associations may endorse home learning courses, but although we endorse many hundreds of excellent compaies and courses, I'm far from sure we endorse any distance learning programmes..

Sarah - what do you actually mean by 'support'? Who told you what?

Back as soon as I have an answer.

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
BABTAC

Hi.. I searched BSY on here and a previous thread said that BABTAC supported them.. That's where I saw it..

Clients DO ask where you trained. How are you going to instill confidence in your abilities if you tell them you did a correspondence course?

ellisons in coventry do a 1 day hot stone course (I did it) don';t know how much it would cost now but I think I paid under £200.

Ok.. Just to let you all know.. I will not proceed with the BSY courses..

I am obviously fully aware that these type of courses need alot of physical/practical work and guidance so I have changed my mind.. Just wanted to see what all of your thoughts were out of interest last night as I was for a short period of time thinking that it may be worth it!!

I was just very excited at the thought of learning new and exciting things so this ran away with me!

Thanks alot for all of your replies though!!

Sarah xx

Clients DO ask where you trained. How are you going to instill confidence in your abilities if you tell them you did a correspondence course?

ellisons in coventry do a 1 day hot stone course (I did it) don';t know how much it would cost now but I think I paid under £200.

Oh great.. Thanks for that! xx

thats what i mean babtac manager , im wa very suprised if babtac would 'support' this as 2 years ago when i looked into a bsy course i phoned babtac and the guild and they both said it wasnt an accredited course with them . things mite have changed since then tho .

also many colleges run l2 part time evening courses in this for around 20 weeks. 1 near me does! could be an option for u !

I think 'swedish' massage or 'body' massage qual is required (inc A&P) before doing hot stones x

Although Ellisons may well do that as well. No time to check atm x

Thanks guys!..

I am going to look at PROPER intense, hands-on courses in both of these areas..

Only problem is, my local colleges only do beauty courses starting in Sept unfortunately and so it's a bit annoying that there are no local centres that have many different start dates as I would like to do it in the evenings you see, starting asap!!

xx

hi all, i did indian head massage with bsy, you do the theory work first, by completing paper work and returning it for marking, then they send your next assignment etc.... then when you have the theory in place you travel to them for practical tutoring, assesments and exam. i'm insured, but i dont provide it in my salon anyway. its a good start and if you enjoy it you could always do a more advanced course in sept.

OK folks, here's the bottom line; warts and all. I promise i will never be anything other than honest with anyone here on Salon Geek (I have a wife and two daughters; three women catcvhing me out and annoyed with me is bad enough!).

As I thought (I've only been with BABTAC 20 months, and it's not really my deparment) we do not, as a general rule, insure qualifications by remote learning. But two or three years ago, BSY's Hot Stone course genuinely impressed the (then) management so much that we 'accredited' it; which means that WE would insure (subject to all prequalifications and other normal conditions), but doesn't mean others will. It doesn't necessarily mean we 'accredit' ALL other BSY courses - just this one.

As far as I know, we have had no complaints from anyone who has undergone this course, nor against any therapist who did it (otherwise there would have been an investigation). And, I do have to say, some distance learning courses do require in-person practicals...

All I can add is that we review what was previously called our 'accreditation' policy regularly, and ALL 'accrredited' courses are currently under review. By the way, we now call it 'endorsement'.

That's the best I can do, and the most honest, and probably not, I know, up to some Geek's idea of 'best'. The course was clearly good, and I have no reason to doubt it - then or now. All I can say is that time moves on, and as with all endorsed courses, it's under review.

Sarah - I don't know where you are, but if you have really decided to go for a non-distance-learning course, depending upon your location drop me a line at [email protected] and I'll see what I can do. Many of BABTAC Council members are trainers... I might be able to sort you out some sort of deal.

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
BABTAC

Thank you for your candid reply Philip.

Thanks alot for clearing that up Phillip!! xx

Latest posts

Back