Capping the free edge?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loulou71

Reaction score
Ok - I keep reading contradictions around this. Basically that 'capping prevents chipping and MUST be done for the application of gel polish', versus, 'it's only for cosmetic reasons and makes not difference to longevity of any polish.'

Thoughts??

Pure - thanks for the the link. It provides a good discussion.

I guess that what I'm getting at is that when I read that new techs (including myself) are having issues with chipping, that one of the standard responses is 'have you capped the free edge'. If this is indeed for cosmetic reasons alone then failing to do so cannot be the cause of the chipping. Therefore, what is???

Incidentally, I do 'cap' the free edge!

Last edited:
I agree, not capping the free edge is unlikely to be the cause of chipping, the most likely causes would be improper preparation of the nail, colour applied too thickly, or lack of aftercare by the client.

Some techs cap the free edge with too many layers, then that causes chipping..

I'm starting to loose the will with it all to be honest.

I recognise that I hadn't removed enough of the cuticle from the side edges when I was having problems in that area. Really can't get to the bottom of the free edge chipping though yet. It's really inconsistent with my ladies too!

I don't want to start charging until it's resolved, but I can't keep on doing freebies forever!!!! :sad:

I think one common cause of peeling (judging by a lot of pics on here) is that if there is delamination (peeling of the natural nail) and it isn't either removed on sealed. This will certainly cause peeling.

I take it peeling is a problem you are having?

I'm starting to loose the will with it all to be honest.

I recognise that I hadn't removed enough of the cuticle from the side edges when I was having problems in that area. Really can't get to the bottom of the free edge chipping though yet. It's really inconsistent with my ladies too!

I don't want to start charging until it's resolved, but I can't keep on doing freebies forever!!!! :sad:

Ive just trained in Shellac and have done my friends nails twice in French and both times she has had chipping, the second time less than the first thankfully but still I obviously do not want any chipping to occur! I thought it was because I hadn't capped the free edge but I made sure 100% I did this the second time around. With French could it be that it was perhaps a little thick in one area and that has caused it to chip? Has anyone else had this with French as its just the white tip thats chipping.

Thanks x

Hi, I'm new to all this 😊. Qualified as a nail tech in March and did my shellac training shortly afterwards. I read the forum regularly but have never posted. I have also had problems with my french shellac chipping, I use cream puff, which I find thicker than the other colours. Am wondering if I'll have better luck with Studio white? Any other colours I've applied have lasted a good 2-3 weeks with no problems.

Ive just trained in Shellac and have done my friends nails twice in French and both times she has had chipping, the second time less than the first thankfully but still I obviously do not want any chipping to occur! I thought it was because I hadn't capped the free edge but I made sure 100% I did this the second time around. With French could it be that it was perhaps a little thick in one area and that has caused it to chip? Has anyone else had this with French as its just the white tip thats chipping.

Thanks x

I was told during my training with NSI that if doing a gel french that because it is thicker at the end it is likely to chip. Obviously this would seem to be true if you are capping the free end and it's not peeling then it's not prep so it seems as though this might be the case!

Not much of a help but I thought I'd tell you what I was told. X

I was told during my training with NSI that if doing a gel french that because it is thicker at the end it is likely to chip. Obviously this would seem to be true if you are capping the free end and it's not peeling then it's not prep so it seems as though this might be the case!

Not much of a help but I thought I'd tell you what I was told. X

On my second set the index finger and thumb on the right hand chipped, the left hand was completely fine (she is right handed). Sorry I meantI sealed the free edge, not capped! Am thinking it was just a little thick perhaps where these chips have occurred. I also use cream puff...anyone suggest the best white to use for French?

Thanks x

On my second set the index finger and thumb on the right hand chipped, the left hand was completely fine (she is right handed). Sorry I meantI sealed the free edge, not capped! Am thinking it was just a little thick perhaps where these chips have occurred. I also use cream puff...anyone suggest the best white to use for French?

Thanks x

The thumb could be from texting ? Or something like that. If she's right handed maybe she's using heavier handed on that hand and not realising it? Does anyone else experience it? I know my right goes before my left lol. Just throwing suggestions of what it could be. Can't help with the colours though, sorry as I don't use that brand x

Latest posts

Back