Capping with Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Sorry if this has been done to death before, but i'm new on here...during my shellac training, we were advised NEVER to cap the polish, as it would cause chipping. I have practised on my mum, using Tropix, without capping, and her shellac has chipped quite badly. Any suggestions? ( And I did PEP!) x:eek:

You seal the edge not cap!

So with the end of your brush after you've finished brushing up the nail in the same movement you flick your brush across the free edge sealing in the colour but not CAPPING!!

On my Shellac course we were taught to seal the free edge, as AmeliaR says above to help prevent chipping x

That's what they told me, I think I just need more practice...thanks!

Have a look at Fingernails fixers vids on youtube, theyre very helpful.

I tend to do the sealing in the same motion as painting, lightly flicking the brush over the free edge without removing the brush rather than taking the brush off and going along the edge, I hope that makes some sense!

That's what they told me, I think I just need more practice...thanks!
To use Shellac beautifully and with a long lasting effect you need to be able to polish like an experienced professional. Many think it's easy to polish as they have been doing their own nails from a young age .. but the reason a pro polish job looks totally different to a consumer's effort, is training and technique.
First, become an excellent manicurist and polisher ...

Fingernailfixer's videos show her capping .. she adds product to the free edge in a separate stroke, not how I teach it .. she can do it because she uses practically nothing on the brush and has lots of experience ... but if you attempt to add this product at the free edge with even the smallest amount of excess on the brush, you will get chipping; so it is best to 'seal' with the technique I describe .. you will get into less trouble.

The other thing to make sure of is that your mother/clients do the correct after care and protect their manicure against too much wear and tear. Shellac is strong and durable but not indestructible.

Latest posts

Back