Card machine PCI compliance & scan advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daydreams01

Reaction score
Hi I am a new salon owner and have a cardsave card machine. Last month I had a £10 charge for PCI non compliance which is an online security thing I had to do within 3 months. I thought I had done it but it hadn't completed properly so I spent over an hour on the phone with them whilst on my pc filling it out. It was so complicated with loads of technical jargon but I finally finished it and they agreed to refund me the £10 charge as it stated on my letter I had 3 months to comply and only 1 month had actually passed. I am still waiting for the refund a month later and on this months statement I got charged £25 for an annual monthly security scan fee.

I was never told about all this when I signed up to cardsave. Is this something that all card machine companies require you to do? They have said because I use my Internet connection to connect to my card machine I have to do this whereas if I just used my phone line I wouldn't have to pay for the annual scan fee. I am wondering if it's better to just use the phone line to connect it? What do other salons do? It just seems like another hidden cost for me to deal with. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm with sum up and have never been told about this. Would be interesting to hear

I am with cardsave at the moment and never had a problem. I used to be with Elavon with a broadband terminal and never paid a scan fee but it was more expensive hence moving to cardsave. If say if you have already paid the £25 and it's for a year seems silly changing it to landline now.

I don't disagree it's wrong but on the grand scale of things if they refund the PCI compliance charge and you kick up a fuss they should do some other freebie too for next month.

Good luck.

I am with cardsave at the moment and never had a problem. I used to be with Elavon with a broadband terminal and never paid a scan fee but it was more expensive hence moving to cardsave. If say if you have already paid the £25 and it's for a year seems silly changing it to landline now.

I don't disagree it's wrong but on the grand scale of things if they refund the PCI compliance charge and you kick up a fuss they should do some other freebie too for next month.

Good luck.

Thanx for reply, is your terminal through your phone or broadband? Just wondered if you had heard of this compliance thing because they said its a new compulsory thing to do regardless of which merchant provider you use?

I'm with firstdata and I had to do that too, I was do it all over the phone as I missed my deadline and they rang me

Hi I am a new salon owner and have a cardsave card machine. Last month I had a £10 charge for PCI non compliance which is an online security thing I had to do within 3 months. I thought I had done it but it hadn't completed properly so I spent over an hour on the phone with them whilst on my pc filling it out. It was so complicated with loads of technical jargon but I finally finished it and they agreed to refund me the £10 charge as it stated on my letter I had 3 months to comply and only 1 month had actually passed. I am still waiting for the refund a month later and on this months statement I got charged £25 for an annual monthly security scan fee.

I was never told about all this when I signed up to cardsave. Is this something that all card machine companies require you to do? They have said because I use my Internet connection to connect to my card machine I have to do this whereas if I just used my phone line I wouldn't have to pay for the annual scan fee. I am wondering if it's better to just use the phone line to connect it? What do other salons do? It just seems like another hidden cost for me to deal with. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Yes I had to have PCI accreditation with my phone line card machine, apparently it's not need with the smart phone apps as you dint hold paper records containing card numbers

I'm with Hand e pay/Streamline and have had to do it. I had to do it when I ran my machine through the phone last year and found it even worse this year as I now run it through the internet.

I changed to run through the internet so I can take card payments over the phone which is how I sell a lot of vouchers and retail.

Vicki x

I'm with Hand e pay/Streamline and have had to do it. I had to do it when I ran my machine through the phone last year and found it even worse this year as I now run it through the internet.

I changed to run through the internet so I can take card payments over the phone which is how I sell a lot of vouchers and retail.

Vicki x

Yes I remember this is why I did it too and I have taken a few payments over the phone in advance or when a partner is paying and I wouldnt have been able to do this if the machine ran through my phone line. I feel reassured now I know it is a legitimate thing as had never heard of it before. Thanks for the replies, on a big learning curve at the mo!

I'm with cardsave, I got charged one month as i didn't do the PCI thing.
( have now done it ). I haven't try been charged the £25 , I'm mobile so I'm
Not sure if that's why? X

I'm with cardsave, I got charged one month as i didn't do the PCI thing.
( have now done it ). I haven't try been charged the £25 , I'm mobile so I'm
Not sure if that's why? X

Probably as apparently they are going to run this scan on my pc every month now! At least you get to save £25! :)

I've had my card machine about 15 years, I total it every night. I've never been asked to back anything up...ever and certainly never been charged (or am I facing bankruptcy when they do 😳) is this something new or only for cardsure? Mine goes via the phoneline.

Had this with streamline, it was a monthly fee too until I noticed it and did the online compliance form. Then there's an annual fee for it too!

I think most decent card processing companies use Streamline as the merchant bank as there one of the biggest in the UK/World I believe.

I'm with Barclaycard and theyve just sent me through the compliance stuff, I had no idea when I signed up either. But it does seem straight forward, I just have to sign up online with a username and password they've posted to me.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Latest posts

Back