Card machine-self employed stylists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snmlondonhair

Reaction score
Hi geeks!
I own a salon + have 2 self employed hair stylists who I charge 50% of their earnings for rent.
I have a card machine in salon linked up to the business account. Can my self employed stylists use this + I transfer them 50% for each client? Or will we all need our own individual card machines.
And how would that work with linking it up to the phone/broadband :/

Technically if they are self employed they must take their own payment's and then pay you from that. So they would need to get their own machines. I'm sure the company would be able to help you with installing them.

I am self employed and work in a salon. I have a card reader from izettle which just connects to the wifi or 4G on my phone. There are lots of companies around that do them. The self employed persons shouldn't need to connect to a telephone point.

The self employed persons also need to take their own money whether it be cash or card. It shouldn't run through your card machine or till as it will falsely inflate your earnings etc. It all has to be separate.

If you run it through your machine, you'll be paying charges and showing a false profit x

I work in a salon and have my own machine. I use SumUp, it's a little portable device that uses batteries and connects to my phone via Bluetooth. Money usually clears to my account in 2 days and I think it's 1.95% fee they take off each payment which at the time of me buying it was the lowest percentage of all the companies x

Thanks for your help guys! The girls are looking into their own machines [emoji5]️ out of interest do any of you charge clients to use the machines? To cover fee costs?

Thanks for your help guys! The girls are looking into their own machines [emoji5]️ out of interest do any of you charge clients to use the machines? To cover fee costs?
I didn't think you could? I may be wrong there

I wouldn't use a card machine/hole in the wall if it charged me for using my own money that's just my personal preference though

No, you absorb the cost. Which is usually not a lot if you research your card machine company and get the best rate.

I charge my clients £1 per transaction to pay with a card. Have done for over a year and no one has ever complained.
The cash machine can charge anything between £1.50-£1.90 in my area, so I'm still cheaper than going to the machine. If I didn't then o would need to increase my prices, so why should cash payers have to pay more? It works for me.
I use payleven. Easy to use but takes to long to actually get the cash.

I use payleven in my retail business their rates are quite low compared to lots of other systems and machine was only £50. It takes me around 5 working days to receive the funds, but you find other than the PayPal card machine they all take around 5-7 days.

I use payleven and love it. I charge clients 50p if they pay by card to help cover the fee that gets deducted. I found it added up after taking lots of payments by card and takes a dint in the price I charge for treatments as my prices are quite competitive. No one has complained yet and have said they understand x

Latest posts

Back