Card machine without line rental?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruc123

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a card machine without having a.line rental and just a mobile phone? I want to keep my outgoings as low as possible with a new business. And was wondering if a card machine makes a difference to the business??

Is it possible to get a card machine without having a.line rental and just a mobile phone? I want to keep my outgoings as low as possible with a new business. And was wondering if a card machine makes a difference to the business??

I would also be interested if anyone has anymore info on free or cheap card machines!

Yes there are lots now. I use izettle. One off purchase cost, works through mobile using Bluetooth ( you might need to check compatible devices as I think it's iphone, android etc), no line rental, percentage charge on each transaction.

Intuit Pay are also mobile compatible.

I run it via my iphone using 3G. The rates per transaction is higher (2.7%), as there is no commitment or rental costs - but you have to take the rough with the smooth here.

I feel it makes the business appear more professional to accept cards, and clients generally spend a little more.

Receipts are sent by email (which my clients seem to like) or printed.

I'm now looking into other mobile options now that its been a success, to bring the costs down, but these often need a contract and monthly fee, so you'll have to sum it all up.

Just remember as you don't have a merchant bank to support you all people would have to do is ring up there bank and do a chargeback and you can say bye bye to that money.

Downside to using the mobile phone options.

Hi

I have my terminal through lloyds tsb cardnet. It is set up with a sim card in the hand terminal, so requires no phone line connection. It also means I can take it out on any mobile appointments, and it will work within a 20 mile radius of the base unit, which is always on charge in the salon. It looks no different to any of the machines you get in shops restaurants etc and is set up to take all credit and debit cards. Also comes with a full marketing pack with window stickers, tent cards, back up manual vouchers etc. Also I have found their customer service to be excellent. Not sure whether you have to have your business account with them, as that was all done as part and parcel of me opening my account, but I have found it to be great so far :)

I use sumup, it's fab, transaction fees are 1.95% and when I got mine my card reader was free, this was a while ago so not sure if they charge now. I've never had a problem with it, they reply to emails straight away and even take suggestions to better their service.

The app is great too! I can really keep track of my earnings including my cash transactions.

As far as charge backs go , I guess it depends on your clients! I have built up my business and known most of my clients for 7 or so years, I wouldn't expect any of them to just "do a chargeback" .

What is the charge on this Lloyds bank machine? Im fed uo of clients n8t having enough cash on them :/

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

What is the charge on this Lloyds bank machine? Im fed uo of clients n8t having enough cash on them :/

sorry, iv just seen this :/ I pay £21 per month :) been worth its weight in gold with add ons which clients wouldn't have bought if they had only brought enough cash for their treatments :)

Latest posts

Back