Career advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ally___pally

Reaction score
Just asking this for opinions really :)

I have been on the shop floor as a graduate stylist for a year , and I've always knows there isn't enough room to have me as a full stylist 2 of the 5 days I work.

I also do , and know I can get a lot of Mobile work....

I was think of proposing to my boss :

Me stop working them two days where I can't be a busy stylist & me continue to work for her on the 3 days.

Is it well cheeky for me to say I want to go mobile on the days I stop working , (in a totally different area to where the salon is )

I think it would be beneficial for her salon not to have to pay me for 2 days I can't take clients all day...

What do you think ? I really wanna do it !! Just don't want to hurt her feelings as my boss is now a good friend too xx

Hey,

Being your own boss is great, but there are a few things you need to concider,
as youve only got a years experience, potential customers may question this and also your ability may not be at its full potential, atleast you have a colourist or senior for advice in a salon setting, I may be wrong im just assuming. Maybe concentrate on shadowing a stylist for the days where you are not busy, as this will give you insight as to how they run their columns and how they approach work.

Ive worked with a few mobile hairdressers who have had part time employment and in my personal oppinion it doesnt work, but these are my views it might work for you, the conflict of interest between retaining that client to the salon or coming to you where you could potentially undercut the salons prices are bound to happen, Your a boss thinking of whats going to benefit your business.

Could you not apporach another salon where you could get your full 5 days in? or what about doing an advanced qualification like a level 3?
being young in this industry is great theres so many oppertunities.

best advice i could give is to not rush in to anything that could potentially stop you from developing. take as much time as you can to watch others work it will be the best thing you will do.

hope this helps

Bailey x

Latest posts

Back