Carlton Institute in liquidation as I am about to submit my NVQ2!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amymc15

Reaction score
As the title says, after a long 2 years i have finally competed my NVQ2 in beauty therapy. I had a final question to ask the tutors but when i tried to call today all the number were no longer in use!!!! After many attempts i finally called Stonebridge college which is who i did my theory through and they hired Carlton Institue as the practical trainers. Stonebridge confirmed that carlton Institue have gone into liquidation 😨 ...omg...I have worked so hard and am now awaiting a call to hear whats happens now! Am so concerned that its all gonna be for nothing, anyone else in the same boat.

I'm no expert in NVQ but I believe any NVQ assessor can asses and sign off your work (obviously one who is qualified in beaty/nails/whichever you are doing) so don't panic just yet. Hope it gets sorted for you soon.

I think they stopping trading a couple of weeks ago. I'm surprised your college hadn't notified you of this though. However, as Trinity says hopefully they will source another assessor for you and you will still get your qualification.

We are very lucky, one of our staffs certificates arrived last week!!! Hope everything goes OK for you!!!!

Thanks for your reply's, fingers tightly crossed x

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Because an NVQ 2 beauty therapy is VTCT you will be able to contact VTCT and they should be able to do something about it xx

The same has happened to me!! I paid Stonebridge and then went on to do the practical with Carlton. Was trying to call today to book my exams and have found they've gone bust!! Have you had any luck with getting it sorted?

No luck so far from Stonebridge (have emailed them and plan on calling tomorrow) ... when I spoke to the awarding body VTCT and gave them my learning number it turns out Carlton I even gave me a fake learner number as it comes up as a different name and apparently they had 100 calls 1 day and only 13 were registered!!! ... I have found an alternative beauty school who VTCT say are happy for them to registar me, assess me, sort the exams and verify/mark my portfolio ... who will pay for this tho? Me initially but I will fight hard to get the money back!
....feel so frustrated with it all 😢
Surely if I hired a builder to do an extension and he them employed a plumber to do some work and the plumber when bust it would be down to the builder to sort the work still left to do? Isn't this the same situation really?

Hi, don't post on here very often so hoping you saw my reply, I will let you know how I get on tomorrow and would appreciate you letting go me know how you get on too. I feel for you, what a rubbish situation we are in!

I will get on the case tomorrow as I found out quite late in the day today so everywhere I wanted to contact was closed. They have my portfolio, hoping I can get it back....:cry:

So glad you've found somewhere to continue your NVQ, hopefully you won't be too much out of pocket though!

If I get anywhere tomorrow, I'll be sure to let you know x

Amy, I called VCTC who said I was registered by Carlton so they can move my NVQ to another centre without fee. Now trying to sort getting my portfolio back. VCTC are finding out where people live to be able to set up an open day for Carlton learners to have their portfolio's checked over. Were you told this too?

Hi, thanks for the info, I called VTCT yesterday after reading the link but unfortunately because Calton never actually registered me they can't transfer my registration 😕 ... I'm still not convinced I'm going to get my qualification without spending more money 😢 X will keep u posted.

Hi Amy

How are you getting on with sorting this out?

I went to meet with some ladies from VTCT a few weeks ago who looked at my finished portfolio and said I needed to find a new college to finish the course off - 3 hour round trip for this info! My local college couldn't help - they do NVQ but not using VCTC as governing body. I'm now talking to a private trainer about starting a VRQ (equivalent of a NVQ) with her at the cost of £1695.

Having already paid Carlton £1800 I am absolutely gutted. Trying to get hold of the accountants who are dealing with the liquidation to see if theres any chance of getting any money back!!

Last edited:
Did you pay for the course by credit card, even just a deposit? If so, you can make a claim against the credit card company. Contact your credit card company and they will advise you of the process for claiming. It's pretty straightforward so don't be put off.

My best friend did nvq at Carlton. But the education is questionable as his tutor didn't do nails?? As for the home-based nvq anyone can write event practice on imaginary clients using the right speech, dates, and the required paperwork ie ski jump, wide nails etc. They have also included some fake information in their website. I think, there is a possibility to sift to another college as it may get exterminated.

Latest posts

Back