Caught a cold from a client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugar300

Reaction score
:( Not a happy bunny -
I do Massage and had a new Client yesterday (luckily she was from abroad so will not see her again) - done the consultation and once she got onto the couch she said "had a cold for 7 days now" "can I have a tissue!" -
Too late to send her away - Now she has passed it onto to me - Feeling rubbish as do not want to take time off sick.

What do you geek's do in this situation - I have to be more assertive and say "No" next time as this it is not fair for me or my regular's client's.

Thank you for reading my post and Thanks in advance for any reply's X

All part of the job I'm afraid!

Do you usually take time off for a cold? Do you usually turn clients away if they have a cold?

The thing is, you can never tell if someone is suffering from an illness but not yet showing symptoms, there is always an incubation time. So I don't think you could pin point a time when you pick something up. If you do come down with a cold, you might have picked it up shopping last week. How would you know?

As long as you work safe (sanitise, sterilise, disinfect) you are doing your best to keep yourself healthy.

I wish I could say no but I doubt my employers would be happy if I started turning away clients willy nilly :suprised:

I had an awful cough and cold for 2 weeks before Christmas, it turned into a sinus infection and bronchitis and I was thoroughly fed up. Just as I managed to shake it off - guess what happened?! A client coughed all over me during a massage.

I'm afraid all you can do is feign sympathy and curse them under your breath as they leave :sad:

I'm sure I catch all my colds from the Sainsburys shopping trolleys. I couldn't possibly catch one from a client unless I was snogging her. With all the sanitising and sterilising there's no chance.

bit over dramatic surely? the world would come to a standstill if people refused to treat or serve people with a cold!

If I have a cold, I do my clients the courtesy of giving them a call to let them know, to give them the option of cancelling or not. And I have to say, most come anyway but sometimes they cancel, specially elderly people who vulnerable to chest infections, or people with babies, or whatever. And they appreciate the call.

In an ideal world I would like them to do the same to me and I would prefer to rebook them lol however that ain't gonna happen! And as someone pointed out sometimes they are carrying bugs but it doesn't show.

So, I use hand gel, I spray antiseptic spray after they've gone, suck strepsils, gargle with salt and I swear by First Defence and Chloraseptic throat spray. These are in my bathroom cabinet and after someone goes out and takes their cold with them I take these measures and 99% of the time it works.

Sorry, I love my job and my clients, but hate being ill and don't want my family ill either, so yes I try to minimise the likelihood of catching stuff.

Thank you Geek's typed up in a moment of not thinking straight!

You are right have all the hygiene stuff in hand and carry on - feeling better today and back at work X

Latest posts

Back