Charging for colour. New look, big job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lfox

Reaction score
so iv just opened a little shop it's an old converted stable joined on to my parents pub... So it's just me in there its only got 2 stations. I'm cheaper than all other salons as I don't pay rent so can afford to do that. Anyway got a client in today, she base 5 got loads of diy colour on her hair, gotta strip that out, with bleach & olaplex , (her hair is strong type but so dry) then got to do a different colour on roots then colour and tone mid lengths and ends, wash that off dry it and then balayage it then tone the balayage, then finish the olaplex treatment then cut & dry it.
She asked how much, so I gave her a breakdown, I charge £58 for any fashion colours with cbd, never charge more than that, but to strip I charge £10 on top then £15 for the olaplex So £83 altogether.., she looked a bit shocked, especially as I told her she's not going to Achieve her desired cool blonde balayage tones in 1 appointment, I warned a lot of warm tones will expose themselves, I told her it would be a work in progress...,
Do u all think that price is reasonable?

I think that price is very reasonable. In our salon we charge £50 for the strip, £59.95 to balayage it, £10 to tone the balayage, £25 for the Olaplex as its not a single use of number1, so all together £145. your going to be using roughly 25mls of you use it correctly in your bleach, base tint, bleach and toner which costs you roughly £13 of Olaplex.

What would other salons near you charge? Maybe she looks shocks because your cheap and expects you to be cheaper? We opened 3 years ago and done colour cut and style at £45 for he first 18months, then changed all our pricing, more than doubled what we were charging and yes we lost a lot of customers but a lot stayed, a lot of people who'd previously walked in asked a price and left came back and stayed, a lot of people think the more they pay the better it is, and now we take 3 times more money and only have to do 2 clients a day to break even instead of 6 (much less stock is used which means the business is much more viable) however were still almost booked out

That's very reasonable , im mobile and charge £30 to just colour remove that's without any colour or cbd. Did she say she was shocked for being cheap or expensive ? Xx

It's just a shock, shel get over it, sheel probably ring around a few others and it'll be anywhere up to £250 so just wait and sheel be back, you do not want to do this for less than the £80 odd seriously, it will take up your whole day & use a lot more product than you think, you'll kick yourself after doing a few of these for not charging more, I do every time!

Wow all those prices sound more then reasonable to me. I know the currency is different but I tallied up up all those services and at my salon it would come to $564 plus tax and tip! But then again I live in one of the most expensive cities In North America. This will easily take you 5+ hours. Which comes to $100 an hour, pretty standard here also as some people charge a flat by-the-hour-rate. Anyhow. I just feel like a lot of these DIYers dont appreciate or know how many hours as well as blood, sweat, and tears go into our craft! Not to mention that you will go through a lot of product. Olaplex is freaking expensive! And each batch of bleach you mix you have to add more. And the fact you are willing to do all that work and keep her hair in the best shape is awesome. Don't undermine yourself! You don't want the client who doesn't appreciate your work and expects deals all the time. They lose respect for you and you dont want to have a reputation for a "discount stylist". Cause they will just move on when they find someone "cheaper" and come crying back when their hair is messed up.

It's just a shock, shel get over it, sheel probably ring around a few others and it'll be anywhere up to £250 so just wait and sheel be back, you do not want to do this for less than the £80 odd seriously, it will take up your whole day & use a lot more product than you think, you'll kick yourself after doing a few of these for not charging more, I do every time!

Yip defo do not charge less!! You could probably charge more!!

New salon I work in the owner had a girl in for consult. She quoted her 60 for full head foils and instamatic colour.
This girl ended up taking from 11.30 til 6pm to get lightened up and still wasn't finished!! Had to come back on Mon and owner ended up using 2 tubs of blondor on her that day alone!! She was kicking herself after. The girls hair was mostly her own with some lighter pieces in and naturally about a 7 but with a lot of warmth in it. Not even box dye correction.

Thanks for the comments guys... So it took 5 hours half tub of ice cream bleach, thickest hair in the world... Lifted up orange, which is what I expected.... But had some stubborn red patches...(she also had previous red box dye under the darks aswell) . Took 1 1/2 hours to strip it all.... Used a 7.0 and a blue base 6117 only 10g of that tough... But couldn't put it on the red patches as would go purple.... So had to mix an green base ash up to go on red patches.... Plus had to lift her dark roots up to base 7... At this point I felt like crying.... So many shades of red and orange.... Anyway turned out ok.... Explained at the start it was a work in progress and said it could take 5-6 appointments.... But base shade is nearly there, next appointment will just do roots and balayage.
When I washed toner off, did spot some khaki areas just whacked a warm 7 over the top.... Used so much olaplex
I will charge more next time.... She happy... I'm happy it's over! But pleased with result so far. Not an easy one at all! My little salon/room looked like a bomb had gone off lol! After all the colour, bleach, olaplex, I prob didn't make that much... But hopefully repeat business and word of mouth... Iv only been open 4 months....

Thanks for the comments guys... So it took 5 hours half tub of ice cream bleach, thickest hair in the world... Lifted up orange, which is what I expected.... But had some stubborn red patches...(she also had previous red box dye under the darks aswell) . Took 1 1/2 hours to strip it all.... Used a 7.0 and a blue base 6117 only 10g of that tough... But couldn't put it on the red patches as would go purple.... So had to mix an green base ash up to go on red patches.... Plus had to lift her dark roots up to base 7... At this point I felt like crying.... So many shades of red and orange.... Anyway turned out ok.... Explained at the start it was a work in progress and said it could take 5-6 appointments.... But base shade is nearly there, next appointment will just do roots and balayage.
When I washed toner off, did spot some khaki areas just whacked a warm 7 over the top.... Used so much olaplex
I will charge more next time.... She happy... I'm happy it's over! But pleased with result so far. Not an easy one at all! My little salon/room looked like a bomb had gone off lol! After all the colour, bleach, olaplex, I prob didn't make that much... But hopefully repeat business and word of mouth... Iv only been open 4 months....
Pat on the back for you :) you can see what I meant in my earlier comment now can't you lol X

Pat on the back for you :) you can see what I meant in my earlier comment now can't you lol X
Yes
Yes I can!!
She did think it was pricey though as she pull a face and said, I won't tell the hubby that!
Although maybe now she will have a bit more Appreciation of what a bargain it was for all that time & work x

Latest posts

Back