Charging whilst training....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaClare85

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Some help and advice is needed!!

I am training in NVQ Level 2 Beauty and at assessment stage. I was thinking of starting to charge people purely to cover costs as I am getting alot of requests for treatments and I am finding that I am going and buying extra products to use on people.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to charge? I live in Dagenham in Essex.

I currently do - Manicure, Pedicure, Waxing (legs, bikini, eyebrow, lip, chin and underarm), Eye Treatments (tinting and shaping), Facials and Make up.

What are your thoughts on charging whilst your still training? Do you have any suggestions on what to charge?

I hope this is all ok....

Thanks Emma :biggrin:

I think you are within your rights to charge a little to cover your costs, but be aware that to do treatments on paying clients you should be insured. Now for family and friends you could get insurance later down the line but if anything was to happen you'd still be liable. Some companies offer student insurance which doesn't cost much, but would cover you in the event of an accident or misshap!

A friend of mine is in your situation too, just started her course and wants to get practising...so she's charging I think about £2 for a eyelash tint, £4 for a manicure etc, and ONLY to family and friends. She's not advertising to joe public yet, and obviously she's not making much money, but it's allowing her to replenish her kit as she uses it, she's getting the practise in, and friends are getting their bits and bobs done for virtually nothing. I can't see any harm in it, as long as she is confident enough to raise her prices when she qualifies!!

Good luck with your course, I hope it goes well for you :)

You definately don't want to fall into the trap of not charging anything....you need to at least cover the cost of your products..I also don't have a problem with charging a little extra to go towards paying for your courses, insurance etc.

It's really up to you but you could see what the going rates are and halve it and use that as a good indicator of what to charge. Just make it clear to everyone that this is for a limited time and then you'll charge full rates (otherwise they will think you'll always charge this price)

when i did my level two traing at home people wer eger to book me i told them im training etc and they wer fine and i was doing like 10pound waxing 4pound for eyebrows cuz i new i had to cover products etc and my potential clients wer very hapy to pay that as i did them just as good of a professional treatment and the cost was lower than any salon.:)

Latest posts

Back