Cheap make-up artists - S Colour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiamondDivasBea

Reaction score
Hi geeks :) I have come across a post in Facebook where some woman was asking why trials and bridesmaids are so much cheaper than brides in the day. I replied saying that we don't make anything on trials but need to charge otherwise were working for free and it's expensive blah blah.

Some other makeup artist comments saying she charges £15 for trial and £20 on the day, same for bridesmaids! So I said I'd be interested to know what products she uses as I pay more than this for primer alone not to mention nearly twice that much for liquid foundation ect and she said she uses a product called s colour which is only available for professionals and a fraction of the price of others but just as good!

Has anyone heard of this and is it really just as good??? I really try to stay out if conflict on Facebook so I just wow that's good.

Also be interested to know what people charge, I know it's different for different areas but we still have the same costs right? Except for some city travel charges. I cover Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire and may do Leicester and sheffield if the price is right!

I'm a bit confused, do you use a whole primer and foundation on their face?

I charged £50 for the trial and £20 for anyone else wanting a trial. The £50 secures the day for the bride as well. I then charge £40 for the bride on the day and £35 for anyone else.

I always explain that the bride is more because you may just have the bride book in and it has to be worth your while.
I have now stopped wedding make up mobile as it takes me out of salon and I can earn far more without running round the country and getting stressed that I may have forgotten something!

Also I've never heard of s colour unless it's the make up available from the wholesalers. Have you googled it?

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I charge £80 for the trial £50 on the day. £40 for bridal party.

Most of the hard work is done at the trial so I reversed my prices accordingly.

It's the stuff they use in college training kits. I think it's a Salon Systems own brand?

Personally, I don't think it's any better quality than Superdrug brands such as Sleek. I think it's fine for practising with or doing make-up lessons etc. but I definitely wouldn't use it on a Bride for make-up that is intended to last all day looking flawless.

I'm a bit confused, do you use a whole primer and foundation on their face?

No I wouldn't use the whole thing! But I would have to do at least 5 brides alone to make back the cost of buying product just for the foundation, primer, concealer and setting powder! This does not even take into account the costs of eye make up, lashes and lips let alone time and costs advertising, time speaking to the bride and travel time and costs and of course we do this for a living so need to make a profit.

Haven't had time to Google it yet but will do x

I remember using s colour at college 10 years ago. It's ok for practice but I personally would not use this particular make up for bridal.

It is low price which is why her prices are low.

I had an S Colour makeup kit when I was training. I'm useless at makeup so I'm no expert, but I use Estée Lauder double wear foundation and the S Colour foundation was nowhere near as good.

It is defiantly a brand the colleges use for their student kits. I think it is available from ellisons . While it is ok ish for students, it is not what i would use for brides. Certainly not what i would expect in any professionals kit . x

Ah this explains why she only charges £20!

Anyone else care to share their prices and locations? Tia x

I charged £120.00 for the bride, this included a trial.

£80 non refundable deposit secured their trial and wedding day.

I'm positive that brand is used at college, I found it hideous, no way would I be using it on anyone! No wonder she charges so little!!!

Hi geeks :) I have come across a post in Facebook where some woman was asking why trials and bridesmaids are so much cheaper than brides in the day. I replied saying that we don't make anything on trials but need to charge otherwise were working for free and it's expensive blah blah.

Some other makeup artist comments saying she charges £15 for trial and £20 on the day, same for bridesmaids! So I said I'd be interested to know what products she uses as I pay more than this for primer alone not to mention nearly twice that much for liquid foundation ect and she said she uses a product called s colour which is only available for professionals and a fraction of the price of others but just as good!

Has anyone heard of this and is it really just as good??? I really try to stay out if conflict on Facebook so I just wow that's good.

Also be interested to know what people charge, I know it's different for different areas but we still have the same costs right? Except for some city travel charges. I cover Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire and may do Leicester and sheffield if the price is right!

We trained with S-colour in college simply because it was cheaper to buy a kit! I wouldn't use it on clients for special occasion make ups personally as I found it a bit naff, Avon make up is nicer than S-colour in my opinion. It's ok to play with while getting to grips with the basics but nothing more.

I don't offer make up as part of my lil mobile business because I don't think I learned enough at college to be honest, so couldn't tell you about price etc.

Latest posts

Back