Chemotherapy and nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyGillo

Reaction score
Hi i have a client who has breast cancer and finished the last chemo treatment 17 days ago. She came in this morning for a manicure and her natural nails have all started to lift from the nail bed. Her thumb nail looked like there is a fungus infection starting on it. I checked her toe nails and they are the same. I did not continue with any treatment and advised her to see her GP she called the surgery from the salon and got an appt for later today. I will phone Babtac today and ask advise on the matter. Just thought i would see if any one has knowledge on this happening? She has been so brave losing her hair and going through the treatment. Today was so sad because she has beautiful hands and nails and this really distressed her. She has been a good client foralmost 10 years she only ever has nailtiques manicure no gel or extentions. Thanks for reading.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Chemo can cause nail loss as well as hair loss. A tip for future reference is to paint finger and toe nails with black nail polish to try to protect them and stop any loss. It may take a few months for them to recover.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Because chemo kills the immune system things like fungal infections on the nails are common unfortunately... I wouldnt recommend any polish or otherwise on them until they are recovered (im a nurse in a renal/oncology unit and see this quite often) they will usually recover with a bit of care and time.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

I should clarify my comment I meant while having chemo not now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Haven't got anything else to add apart from agreeing with the other replies. My mother in law had cancer and lost her nails on her last round of chemo. The round prior to the last one was when they started to lift. She tried wrapping the nails etc but sadly lost them. It's common to get infections as chemo zaps all cells including those that help fight infection.
It's terribly sad and such a shame that you weren't able to continue with the treatment but you did the right thing both for your reputation but also her as a client

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for your replys. Just home from the salon going to do a bit of research into helping the nails once infection has gone and nurturing the new nail to grow stronger. Some of the nail proteins could be too strong to use post treatment. But will be guided as always by her medic.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back