Childrens manicures.... + question about broken bones!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily22

Reaction score
Hi there;

I have 2 questions as you may have guessed from the title!
My first is with regards to childrens manicures... when doing a little girls manicure i include the following:

• file & polish,
  • easing back the cuticles
  • mini hand & arm massage
  • polish with nail art
I have just been asked about doing a paraffin wax treatment on a clients child. The little girl does have the occasional manicure treatment but Ive not done a pwax on a child under 16 before. This girl is 12yrs old..
Obviously id have all the parental consent forms etc signed; would you say you would do this treatment on a 12yr old or not??

2nd quesion: if someone has had a broken thunmb recently, how long would you say to leave a manicure treatment for afterwards? I have a client who had her plastercast removed last week, has just a file & polish and did want a manicure but I suggested waiting a little while first as her doc at the hospital has advised her take it easy with it until after christmas and then she can carry on as normal..
She would like a pwax manicure at the end of jan 09, so i ahve said i will contact her at the begining of jan to see how the thumb is getting on and then we can go from there - would you say to get consent from the GP as it would have only been just over 6 wks since having the plastercast removed??

* bump* :eek: anyone?

I can't answer your question about the nails, but if you're doing a little massage etc with the manicure I would leave it a while, when doing body massage/aromatherapy I would expect for the client to wait about 3-6 months after an operation/reset of broken bones, hth x

Regarding the childs manicure, I dont know. Different people have different rules, personally I wouldnt do half the stuff you do on a young child and certainly wouldnt do a paraffin wax, but then I know that many others do.
Re the broken thumb, the only person that can answer this question for you is the clients doctor. Get her to go back to the doctors and get written consent for her to have a manicure treatment, ask her to bring this letter (or a copy of it) to you and keep it attached to her client record card. If this was one of my clients I'd be saying no written consent from doctor = no manicure.

Maybe things are different in the US but I wouldn't have a problem doing a paraffin manicure on a 12 year old. It's just a moisturizing treatment...meant to help with dry skin. +, the warmth of the wax is really nice, especially this time of year.

As for the broken thumb, as long as the doc says she can resume normal activity, I would do the massage. BUT...I would start out GENTLY on the broken thumb hand and see how it goes. IF the client is experiencing any pain or discomfort, I would discontinue the massage on that hand but certainly you could still do an arm massage.

HTH's! :)

What benefit is the child looking for from the paraffin wax? In the main I havent found that children suffer from the same dry skin on their hands (unless excema related so I wouldnt do a p wax anyway) so I may look for another alternative depending on what benefit they are after.

Hi! Couldn't find this post anywhere when I came back onto look for it! Anyway, now ive stumbled across it again I just thought I'd say thanks for all your replies!
I didnt go ahead with the manicure as the little girl broke her other thumb just before her appointment!
Her mum is desperate for her to have her nails done when her plastercast is off but I've insisted that she has permission from her GP first.

To ensure I get an answer from the GP (and no-one else! lol), I send the letter direct to the GP myself with an S.A.E for it to be returned directly to me. I have the client sign the letter giving me permission to consult their GP.
Have only ever had to send a GP letter once so far - and was glad I did as the GP advised AGAINST treatment on that occasion despite the person insisting it would be ok! - Just shows it always best to check if there's any doubt!

With regards to the P.Wax, i've decided not to do this on under 16's. Simply because this makes it easier for myself instead of having to say no if the child has soft nails etc (which is common for growing children!)..

Latest posts

Back