CHILDRENS PARTIES - CRB Checked??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aphrodites

Reaction score
If you do these, are you CRB checked? I just wondered if its something i should invest in?!

what a good question! i'm not sure if you have to have to be by law, but surely it can only be fantastic selling point to be able to advertise you are legally safe to be around young people? x

Yes, I'm CRB checked and it IS a good seling point.

I'm CRB checked because I work in a school and I think it all helps with advertising.

am i right thinking i should go to my local police station fo this? x

hi you cannot get CRB checked if you are self employed it has to be done through an organisation

this what i have copied from CRB website - Home Page

Who can apply for a CRB Check?

CRB checks cannot be obtained by members of the public directly but are only available to organisations and only for those professions, offices, employments, work and occupations listed in the Exceptions Order to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
For this reason your application will be processed either by your employer, if it is registered with the CRB, or a third party organisation, called an Umbrella Body, which is registered with the CRB.
Return to top of page

How do I apply for a CRB Check?
An individual cannot make an application for a Disclosure directly, and the Disclosure service does not apply to those people who are self-employed. This is because there needs to be an independent person who makes the decision to employ an individual having assessed that they pose no threat to either children or vulnerable adults in their care. If a person is self-employed there is no independent third party to make that decision.

There are two ways of applying for a CRB check. You will either be asked to:

telephone the Disclosure application line on 0870 90 90 844, in which case you will need to provide the Registered Body name and number (Please have this information to hand when calling), or
complete a paper application form handed to you by the person who asked you to apply.
In both instances, you will have to provide evidence of your name, address and date of birth, along with the Registered Body name and number, and the level of CRB check. This will help the person who asked you to apply, confirm your identity.

for example: I teach in a local FE college - so they applied for CRB check on me after I filled in the application form and returned to the college

I also invigilate exams for another college and they applied separately for a CRB check on me aswell

A CRB check is more or less invalid after the check has been done anyway its only good for that point in time at which it was applied to show that you dont have any convictions/records/warning etc - as one of these could be recorded against you at any point after the date it was issued - so each college I go into will apply for a new CRB check on me - Have had 3 done now in last 18 months

hope this helps

Nicola

Last edited:
Great, thank you for the info :) I dont think i'll be able to do it as im self employed :-(

hi i checked this out when i started up and as i would never be left alone with children, there would always be parents present, i was told i wouldnt need to be crb checked. but it is a good selling point and puts parents at ease these days. but you do have to be employed which is quite stupid for us that is self employed .

Hi,
Both Hubby & I are CRB checked for our bouncy castle business. We are self employed.
We had it done under an umberella company. It was the only way possible.
On CRB website you put in your area and it gives you a list of organisations that can do it for you.
I got forms from them, when filled in I went back in with all our required documents and my cheque book. All documents were checked, paper work sent off, and one week later mine came through, hubbys 2 days after mine. They do say it can take about 6-8 weeks.
We had it done because one local council insisted we had it to run a bouncy castle, even though the parents never leave the children.
I feel it is a very good thing to have from an advertising point of view, I do agree it is only valid at the point it is done.
Lotsa luv x x x x

Latest posts

Back