Chipped Shellac!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danni1984

Reaction score
Hi geeks, just popping over from the hair side, I've had shellac on twice now the first time I had it on it chipped after one day, the second time I had it done by someone else and I told the lady it had chipped last time the day after and she said its probably because she didnt seal the edges, the second time it lasted me 4days then chipped is this normal? I'm not heavy with my hands and was extra carefull the second time but it still chipped, I noticed the second lady didnt use the shellac uv lamps would this make a difference. Xxx

Yep deffo hun, if you do a search on here and type cnd uv lamp, there's loads of info about why it's important to use a cnd uv lamp with the system. xx

Thought so, my clients all wear shellac they say it lasts them weeks and never chips, I used to have bio sculpture gel on that used to never chip so couldn't understand why shellac chips when its meant to be strong. Xxx

Not Shellac or any other nail product is guaranteed to work!:) If you have weak, bendy or flaky nails f.e. it is not possible to say how long it will last. Shellac is a product for women who's nails are healthy and strong and would like a polish that lasts longer than normal nail varnish.

Also if you are a hairdresser and have your hands in a lot of water, in gloves, in bleach etc it will affect it.

If your nails are not strong enough to support shellac then maybe try a gel polish treatment like Gelish or OPI Gelcolor, or get a gel or acrylic overlay under the shellac.

Thought so, my clients all wear shellac they say it lasts them weeks and never chips, I used to have bio sculpture gel on that used to never chip so couldn't understand why shellac chips when its meant to be strong. Xxx

Biosculpture is a GEL, shellac is not. Biosculpture is much stronger than Shellac.

I go for a acrylic overlay as a beautician I wash my hands 100 times a day and no gel stays put on me xx

i had lots of hairdressers try my gel polish (which is shellac, gellish, etc) and they never lasted more than a few days.

i used bio sculpture on them which 100% gel and it worked for the 2 weeks, usually.

hairdressers are best with acrylic tbh but you could try Ezflow Trugel, thats like bio its 100% gel and should be priced the same as a gel polish in salons. x

Also "sealing the edge" is actually more for cosmetic reasons, it looks professional rather than to stop it chipping.

Im a hairdresser and I couldnt be without my shellac! If done properly it should last well. My hands constantly in water and i also have horses so have got hard working hands and usually get 14-21 days out of my shellac. Find a good salon and give shellac another go

Latest posts

Back