Chloasma/melasma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremities

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the best treatment for this pigment condition is. I have been using 2% Hydroquinone presribed by my doctor since april and if anything, it looks darker.

Apparently I can't have laser treatment as I have type 4. colour skin. Has anyone on here treated this successfully. I would be happy to just reduce the darkness of the pigmentation, sick of wearing concealer on a daily basis.

Would a medical microdermabrasion or peel help.

Help!!!

Sam

If these are caused by sun exposure I have read that AHA and BHA peels will help as will retinol but then you have to religiously wear high factor sun protection spf30 plus or you will get more pigmentation. (You should be wearing a high factor anyway and NEVER sunbathing to stop future damage). I can't be specific about the best peel though, I know a strong glycolic would work but there may be something better. You would have to have a course though. I know Jan Marini skin care do a lightening gel which is very popular but £££. I haven't treated this type myself but my old boss had clients with this and did glycolic peels and prescribed the lightening gel. I didn't see the clients all the way through their treatments though I'm afraid so can't comment on how dramatic the results were.

You obviously need to apply a melanin supressant which stops the chemical reaction in the melanocytes at the basal cell level. An advanced skin care book I have says that hydroquinone is the best melanin supressant and the only FDA recognised one, hense why you were prescribed it. It also lists kojic acid (I think this is in the Jan Marini product), magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (also an antioxidant), arbutin, bearberry extract and azelaic acid.

:)

Latest posts

Back