Chlorine with bleached hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a.gidman

Reaction score
I have a client who is wanting to go blonde, now im going have to use bleach as she is base 5!! Wants an ashy colour. Going back to the chlorine, am i right in thinking you only have problems if its severely porous and damaged!? I have bleach blonde hair and never had a problem. But shes asking how long she has to leave it till she goes swimming and its baffled me a little bit. Thanks

I have a client who is wanting to go blonde, now im going have to use bleach as she is base 5!! Wants an ashy colour. Going back to the chlorine, am i right in thinking you only have problems if its severely porous and damaged!? I have bleach blonde hair and never had a problem. But shes asking how long she has to leave it till she goes swimming and its baffled me a little bit. Thanks

I would say after 24-48 hrs. As long as she uses a decent shampoo for swimmers, and a moisturising conditioner, as well as treatments and perhaps Argan oil, she'll be fine! :)

Paul Mitchell Shampoo 3 Is fab!

Aye i said to use a moisturising conditioner and aftercare oil. I cant see there being any problem but just thought id get other opinions on the case!! Thanks!!

Being a swimmer and also a very bleached blonde hairdresser the ONLY thing I have found that works for me is loading my hair up with lots of Pantene conditioner before jumping the in pool. Due to the large amount of silicon I feel like the chlorine never gets down to my own hair. I always clarify and do a treatment after getting out of the pool also. Ps. Toners won't last long when swimming I tone almost every time after swimming but I can't stand gold hair on myself.

Always give a new color/bleach a good 48hours after the service before shampooing/swimming etc. Sounds like she will have pretty healthy hair after so porosity shouldn't be an issue for grabbing the chlorine. 1 trick I have used is to run a little coconut oil in liquid form through the hair. It protects & is easily shampooed out after.

I've gone swimming the day after a bleach up before now, absolutely fine; I'm beginning to think it's a myth! Normally a swimming pools you're asked to shower before entering so if she does that, she can just put conditioner in her hair, this will act as a barrier, and give her peace of mind :)

It's no myth, we just take care of our hair :)
If you get hair wet with fresh water before getting in pool it will be fine also, leave in conditioner is what I recommend ☺️To my blondes

Not a myth 4 sure! I had a client send me her sister whom moved into a new building with copper pipes turning her blonde to a strong green from showering..... Mind you her stylist had over processed her hi-lights to translucent-platnium-ish in spots welcoming her to porous city first class for such a conundrum to occur.

Not a myth 4 sure! I had a client send me her sister whom moved into a new building with copper pipes turning her blonde to a strong green from showering..... Mind you her stylist had over processed her hi-lights to translucent-platnium-ish in spots welcoming her to porous city first class for such a conundrum to occur.

Great post ^^^

It's the copper that turns bleach blonde hair into a pale shade of green, not the chlorine. Chlorine is a colourless liquid, whereas as copper sulphate is blue. Blue + Yellow = Green.

As has been said, thoroughly wetting the hair and then covering with conditioner creates a barrier that prevents the copper from entering the hair, thus minimising the 'hulk' effect.

;)

Great post ^^^

It's the copper that turns bleach blonde hair into a pale shade of green, not the chlorine. Chlorine is a colourless liquid, whereas as copper sulphate is blue. Blue + Yellow = Green.

As has been said, thoroughly wetting the hair and then covering with conditioner creates a barrier that prevents the copper from entering the hair, thus minimising the 'hulk' effect.

;)

Another great post from SalonGeek's No 1 Hair Guru. :)

There isn't anything this guy doesn't know about hair and running successful salons!

Another great post from SalonGeek's No 1 Hair Guru. :)

There isn't anything this guy doesn't know about hair and running successful salons!

Ooooh...there isn't a smilie for 'blushing' but if there was I'd be using it here! Thanks for the compliment!

I don't get on here as much as I used to, mainly due to time constraints with work, but I do get notifications for PM's and thread subscriptions.

Congrats on becoming a mod btw! It seems like there have been a few changes lately? Looks like Izzi will finally have some help! :)

Latest posts

Back