Chronic chapped lips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassies97

Reaction score
So i was wondering if a skin geek could give me some help!

For pretty much all of my life i've had really bad chapped lips. I can delay them with things like blistex medplus and daily lip conditioner which i really do the job but if i don't apply it again within about 20 minutes my lips are chapped. I mean super dry with a line of annoying chapped skin where they lips stop being moist.

I don't know if its the fact my lips are fairly plump that is the problem.

Should i seek advice from my GP?

Thanks.

Avoid products with phenol, menthol or salicylic acid. Balms with these ingredients may make a tingling feeling, but that tingle is actually protective layers of skin on your lips peeling off. I suggest you gradually cut back to perhaps twice a day and recommend the brands Yes to Carrots and Burt's Bees, although I must confess the Blistex is my personal fave but I use only once or twice each day.

Avoid products with phenol, menthol or salicylic acid. Balms with these ingredients may make a tingling feeling, but that tingle is actually protective layers of skin on your lips peeling off. I suggest you gradually cut back to perhaps twice a day and recommend the brands Yes to Carrots and Burt's Bees, although I must confess the Blistex is my personal fave but I use only once or twice each day.

Thanks for your reply!

It gets so annoying though when i can feel my lips are super dry and cracked i have to pile loads of product!

You can also try a rough dry washcloth to exfoliate or a bit of sugar on a wet finger. Moisturizer afterward with a good non medicated balm. Coconut oil is good also.

You can also try a rough dry washcloth to exfoliate or a bit of sugar on a wet finger. Moisturizer afterward with a good non medicated balm. Coconut oil is good also.

What moisturisers do you recommend?

The balms I mentioned above or coconut oil.

Aquaphor!

My daughter gets such sore lips that she gets a balneum cream on prescription. Our GP recommended Vaseline every 10 mins when she feels it flaring up and I was sceptical but it worked better than anything we'd tried.
Hers is caused by allergies so might be worthwhile visiting your GP if it's a persistent problem. She got other medication which eased the symptoms a lot.

Not a fan of their other products (and I know it's not a pro product) but the Forever Living Aloe Lips is brilliant and takes away that irritated feeling straight away. Try drinking more water too as it can be the acid in your saliva that dries your lips out; you lick them because they feel dry which in turn makes them drier (hope this makes sense)!

Lush do lip scrubs , they work really well for me.

I find Jane Iredale's Sugar & butter lip treatment along with Dermalogica climate control is brilliant for my chapped lips X

My sister swears by bepanthen at night...

The forever aloe for lips stick is awesome.

I use coconut oil in the evening before bed, however someone introduced me to liquorice balm from the skin shop when I had a cold sore once, amazing stuff.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1457795160.020447.jpg
ordered online www.skinshop.co.uk

@cams97 I know how you feel I have for as long as I can remember very very dry lips. My bottom lip is worse then my top lip. It's always cracked and peeling and does get swollen and lumpy sometimes too. I find burns bees do really nice balms, love the mango and grapefruit ones. Also think I suffer from dry mouth as no matter how much I drink my mouth always feel dry and can never get the build up of saliva off my tongue. I do believe these can be related. Off to the dentist next month so will discuss all then but that may another reason why you have dry cracked lips.

@cams97 I know how you feel I have for as long as I can remember very very dry lips. My bottom lip is worse then my top lip. It's always cracked and peeling and does get swollen and lumpy sometimes too. I find burns bees do really nice balms, love the mango and grapefruit ones. Also think I suffer from dry mouth as no matter how much I drink my mouth always feel dry and can never get the build up of saliva off my tongue. I do believe these can be related. Off to the dentist next month so will discuss all then but that may another reason why you have dry cracked lips.

I'm the same with the saliva on my tongue! Mine have started improving now, i haven't applied anything to them in about 3 days and they're only moderately dry

Latest posts

Back