Claiming back training costs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anita_xx

Reaction score
Hi everyone just wondering if any1 can tell me if im able to claim back the costs of training courses when self employed? Thanks! Xxx

It is an issue that isn't straight forward, what I understand is:

You can only claim for a course that 'advances your skill' not a course that gives you 'new skills'.

Basically it seems you can only put the costs for 'further training' in your accounts - so if your already qualified in waxing and then do an intimate wax course you can claim for it but if your not qualified in waxing and do a wax course you can't claim for it as it's a 'new skill'.

I believe you can claim back training costs for training in something that you are already qualified in (i.e. CPD points) but not for something that you have not been previously qualified in. e.g if your qualified in manicure and pedicure and did the 'Shellac Brings Them Back course, you would be able to claim for the costs.

Thanks for your quick replies! I did manicures in my level 2 so would that mean I can claim back the cost of my gel and acrylic extensions course? Xxx

To be honest, I think its a bit of a grey area and may be open to interpretation as to whether learning gels and L&P is regarded as CPD points, i.e. further training in an existing qualification or whether it would be considered something completely different. To be on the safe side, I would check with your accountant if you have one, or check it with HMRC.

Thanks you've both helped so much was driving me mad searching google lol. I've a meeting on Mon so will try to find out then! :) xxx

I went on a self employed tax seminar.
The guy said you can claim back training costs. But NOT for a "new service on your price list". So for gels/L+P, no. For a conversion course, yes.
Hope that helps

I went on a self employed tax seminar.
The guy said you can claim back training costs. But NOT for a "new service on your price list". So for gels/L+P, no. For a conversion course, yes.
Hope that helps
But that wording is not exactly right either - as doing an intimate waxing course would mean you can add the new service of waxing the intimate area but you already have a waxing qualification so your not learning a new skill just advancing your waxing skill.

This is why it is hard to explain and word so that everyone understands.

It's all a bit odd in our line of work as your trained in beauty so all extra training is advancing our skills but could also be classed as a new skill.

I always put all my new courses through in my books. I do roughly 2x per yr . It's never been questioned and it's something I didn't know. X x

I have never heard of this, my accountant always puts all courses through as expenses...

Latest posts

Back