Classes Vs. Gyms

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexylove

Reaction score
Hi just wanted to know what you geeks thought?

would you like to see:-
  • classes only venue
  • Gym only venue
  • Choice of both?
Thanks for your thoughts!

id like a choice of both its only my opinion thou hun HTH x

Definately choice of both, There are times when the gym is absolutey packed and so a class is brill. Also, when you just can't be bothered with all the machinery, its great to alternate too.

Whats this for hun?

Me and Hubby (for a long time now) want to set up our own gym but not just for usual gym goers, ppl with health issues (along with beauty/therapies) and we are looking at ways to do it! a cheap (ish) option would be to just offer classes (with some personal training) or sod it all and go the whole hog.

And I was just wondering what ppls preference was, to help us with our decision.

I would like the option of both, but I tell you what a bug bear of mine is....

When you go to the gym and you can't remember what to press to get the cross trainer or the excersise bike to work...get some big posters for dunces like me who can't remember how to work them!!!!

definately a choice of both, but i would like to see more gyms where you dont have to be a member to use facilities/classes, i find it really annoying the fact that you have to pay x amount of pounds every month, its not that i wouldnt go regularly if i had a membership but its nice to have the choice, i rung a local gym lately to see if i could pay for classes only and they said 'no', but surely they would make alot of money doing it this way?

elfprincessem said:
definately a choice of both, but i would like to see more gyms where you dont have to be a member to use facilities/classes, i find it really annoying the fact that you have to pay x amount of pounds every month, its not that i wouldnt go regularly if i had a membership but its nice to have the choice, i rung a local gym lately to see if i could pay for classes only and they said 'no', but surely they would make alot of money doing it this way?

I think this is a good point. Or maybe the choice to suspend membership if you lose your job or something? x

andrelax said:
I think this is a good point. Or maybe the choice to suspend membership if you lose your job or something? x

yes i agree with you on this too, maybe a 'monthly' membership which you can top up when you get paid, it wouldnt make people be as scared of joining up and thinking' jeez i darent do this, i dont wanna be stuck with it for a whole year'!

I think it's great to have both. If you're feeling a little lazy and you're using the gym, you can stop when you like, but once you're commited to a class you tend to finish it.

Classes.
I'm on a diet and not yet confident to do the whole gym thing, so I go to aqua classes.
At my local pool/gym you can join as a member but for classes you still have to pay for them individually as they are so popular sometimes you have to reserve a place.
They're only £4.60 an hr which is a brill price.
Maybe you should consider targeting people like me that dont want to go into the gym as of lack of esteem/body confidence.
Women only gym sessions a couple of times a week.
Have you seen Dodge ball? Thats the type of mix where I'd feel more confident as their all different shapes not totally muscles!

i've used many gyms over the years and these are my main gripes as a customer:

(a) 12 month contracts. not everyone can afford them. my favourite gym was where i paid £30 a month by DD and i wasn't tied in. the same gym offered their services to those who just wanted to pay for individual classes. It was also the friendliest gym i ever went to and i honestly believe this is because it was "working class" to coin a better phrase. i find that with the more exclusive gyms with 12 month contracts people are generally more unfriendly and anal. I used to go to this gym 3 or 4 times a week, and the one i go to now i go about once every 6 months because i've never made any buddies.

(b) naff gym instructors who are unfriendly and unapproachable. The type you get at the big gyms who walk round with their eyes closed while the clients injur themselves by not doing the exercises correctly. Again, the gym above was also the only one where instructors would correct me if i was doing an exercise wrong; and at the gym i go to now, i often see people making mistakes when lifting weights and the instructors walk straight past them without saying anything.

(c) I often also see people walking round the gym aimlessly and its obvious they are completely lost and in awe of the machines (newbie's) and don't know where to begin because the gym instructor showed them ONCE how to do something and they can't remember how to programme a machine or find their instructor.

(d) somewhere safe to lock away your stuff (the reason i left the friendly gym is because you could get to the lockers without paying to come in the gym or go past reception, and eventually the inevitable happened when some scallywags (not the phrase i would use but this is a public site!) came in a robbed my stuff while i was in the gym (handbag, phone, car stereo facia and keys and ALL my clothes). By the time i replaced everything, including changing locks on my car and house it cost me over £200.

I would say offer a range of classes (including things like [the very popular] bodypump which uses free weights) and maybe have a small area with a couple of cardio machines and free weights (and the ones where the weights are on pullies). as you know free weights (when done properly) work your muscles better than static machines so your clients should see results quicker. Also have a running and cycling club to get people out in the fresh air. there is nothing more boring than cycling on a static bike.

Another thing i would suggest is a "cheap rate" personal trainer. the personal trainers at my gym do get results in their clients, but they are expensive and not everyone (and usually the people that most need them) can't afford them.

Maybe you could also have "get fit buddies". encourage people to team up with other members to help their progress.

Hope this helps.

ps. if money is tight to begin with i think you will see a higher return on just doing classes, rather than just weights, especially if you include Bodypump and Bodycombat classes. they are hugely popular and you may get a return from it to start your weights section.

I think its best to have both

Ive not done a class in a long time i get shy last time i did 1 i was like a walking beetroot i sweated that much neva been able to go back in :)

But alot of people just like the weights cardio etc rather than a class so yes both is best

i think both too hun

Cool! Thanks for you thoughts!!

We may contemplate a membership but like you say not tying people in for 12 month etc but also other pay schemes as I say we're mainly targeting ppl with health issues and many ppl spend that much on prescriptions etc that they won't have alot of spare cash floating about.

Any other thouhts please let me know!!

I joined the gym last year and had got a 12 month membership, have never been in the gym but got to classes about 2/3 times a week. I get too bored in the gym and really like the classes as I don't have time to think about what I'm doing - I need a motivator and thats the fitness instructor - Yeah!!:eek:

Latest posts

Back