cleaning airbrush

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dee

supernatural geek
Reaction score
cambridge,ON canada .. but originally from uk , lo
hi i am nearly out of airbrush cleaner, and wont b able to get any while next week , will it be ok to use acetone to clean my airgun , it says so in the book but i am sure i heard somewhere that u shouldnt do it , any help will be great , thanks

hi dee,
what have you been using your airbrush for ? nail art ,body art or tanning
if its tanning just spray through water, if its nail art paint believe it or not a friend of mine had su-do airbrush cleaning fluid analised and it showed up as window cleaning fluid so get cracking with the mr muscle lol :D

thanks it is for nail art , i have been using the su do airbrush cleaner, but it is makin me get a funny throat when i clean it out, i used medea before that and didnt have any probs , thanks for the hel[p

I use distilled water to clean out my airbrush...................
acetone can be abit hard on the gun, specialy the rubber seal.........tiny little thingy bob lol....................

i didnt know you could do it with water , as i use medea paints and on the web it says they cant be cleaned with water as they are alchol based or something , which doesnt really makes sense coz you clean off the overspray with water, i should have thought of doing that really but dont wanna kill my airbrush :sad: , coz you get so many hints with em , like dont do this / do that , i sometimes think if i look at mine the wrong way it will keel over on me lol ,
thanks ruth for the advice

dee said:
hi i am nearly out of airbrush cleaner, and wont b able to get any while next week , will it be ok to use acetone to clean my airgun , it says so in the book but i am sure i heard somewhere that u shouldnt do it , any help will be great , thanks

No No No girl not acertone.

Use surgical spirit, it's a fantastic cleaner, i use it all the time in between colour changes of body paint, it's very effective. To clean out tanning lotion i spray water through the airgun.

But every nite i give it the final spit polish with window cleaner!!

"Jobs a gooden."

Keep acetone away from your airbrush! If it's Medea nail art paints you are using then water is fine for a quick flush in between colours, but you will need something a little stronger for a proper clean.

As Dennis says, you can use diluted window cleaner - I use Windolene, the original clear water-like one, and it's great, saves you a fortune on 'branded' airbrush cleaners.

For body art paints keep water away from your airbrush - I use Isopropyl Alcohol which isn't very expensive and available from Chemists.

that is fab girls thanks so much , i am definatley gonna try the diluted window cleaner, coz airbrush cleaner is really expensive and i seem to use tons , you are life savers xx

dee said:
that is fab girls thanks so much , i am definatley gonna try the diluted window cleaner, coz airbrush cleaner is really expensive and i seem to use tons , you are life savers xx
god never thought of that what a penny saver :D

This thread has made me think, can you use the same airbrush for bodypaint that you use for nail art? I'm hoping to do both. Bodypainting with regular bodypaint that washes off (water based) and the type that you use for temp. tattoos that lasts a few days (I think alcohol based), for nail art I use medea.

Teena_B said:
This thread has made me think, can you use the same airbrush for bodypaint that you use for nail art? I'm hoping to do both. Bodypainting with regular bodypaint that washes off (water based) and the type that you use for temp. tattoos that lasts a few days (I think alcohol based), for nail art I use medea.

You can....... but only if your cleaning is meticulous after each use and you make sure you don't mix the cleaners up with the different paints, you'll end up with a real gloopy mess inside your airbrush. If you can, it's best to use different guns for the different paints.

best using seperate airbrushes chick as body art and nail art are done using different needle sizes bit of a pain to have to keep changing.

dennis said:
best using seperate airbrushes chick as body art and nail art are done using different needle sizes bit of a pain to have to keep changing.
OOEERRR ! Good job I got you guys to talk to, I didn't even think about needing different size needles! Bet you can guess I'm new to airbrushing!!!:D

I never bother changing needles for doing body art - I keep a separate one, an Iwata HP-B, works just fine, and it's the same type as I use for my nail art. I've also used a Badger for body art - no probs.

If you get enough body art work to justify buying a separate gun then go for it, but most of the time, as long as you're very careful with the cleaning, you should be ok with just the one. :)

Can you tell me how much you dilute the window cleaner? ie how many parts cleaner to how many parts water? thanks xx

Aspirations said:
Can you tell me how much you dilute the window cleaner? ie how many parts cleaner to how many parts water? thanks xx

Hi, I dilute about 1 part cleaner to 5 parts water - don't make it too strong or you'll get bubbles! :lol:

I use an all purpose cleaner from a $3 dollar store in barbados,i managed to use it because i had run out of airbrush cleaner.it works great and i don't need to buy any expensive airbrush cleaner any more.

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

i dont recommend that you use as acetone as daily clean cause it will get at some of your part but in pinch you can use it but you will have lube your parts on final breakdown the ladies are right that diluted window clener

Latest posts

Back