Client having a reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HannahKate

Reaction score
Hi guys :)
I wondered if anyone could offer any advice...
I have a regular client who has gel polish.
She has had gel polish many times before becoming my client, and before the first time I did her nails she mentioned that she once had a funny reaction to IBD, which is my brand of choice so I used Gelish instead.
She was very happy with the results however messaged me either 1 or 2 days afterwards and said that she was having the same reaction so she peeled the gel off.
She asked me to do her nails again, I was pretty reluctant but she said she thought maybe she remembered the brand wrong.
So we tried again, this time with Gelish again at her request.
Low and behold, the next day she sent me a photo of her fingers having a reaction.
The only way I can describe it is that the skin around the free edge and hyponichium looks purple and slightly sore/swollen. She says that the first symptom is heat, they will feel hot and itchy and will calm down a short while after removal.
Could this be as simple as an allergy to something in gel polish?
Or maybe something to do with the lamp?
I feel a sense of obligation to find out, as Im worried its something Ive done.
None of my other clients have ever had this.
Any info massively appreciated!
:)

Stop performing any treatments on this client. This is most likely to be an allergy. However this lady needs to go and get professionally tested by her GP.
It could be down to undercuring (old bulbs or using the wrong lamp) or gel polish may be touching her skin.
This is why it's important for nail techs to have insurance and comply with their policy.

Also ensure that your products are bought from the official suppliers. Avoid eBay and Amazon.

Thankyou.
The products are definitely 100% genuine, and Im using a brand new LED lamp.
I did suspect an allergy, I will suggest she speak to her GP and politely decline any future appointments.
Thanks again

All of the previous posters make important point. I do want to point out that it is important that you are using a Gelish LED lamp.

Oh ok thankyou
I have a generic non brand specific LED lamp at the mo, our trainer told us theyre all the same.
Just out of interest, so if you stock and use various brands of gel polish, would you need multiple lamps?
Also, how would using a lamp by a different brand to the polish affect anything?

You're only guaranteed a proper cure using the correct lamp, each lamp is specially designed to work with each product! :)

Oh ok thankyou
I have a generic non brand specific LED lamp at the mo, our trainer told us theyre all the same.
Just out of interest, so if you stock and use various brands of gel polish, would you need multiple lamps?
Also, how would using a lamp by a different brand to the polish affect anything?

Every gel polish will need a very specific range and intensity of uv light to ensure a full and proper cure. Many things affect uv strength and intensity such as bulb placement, lamp design , distance from nails to bulbs etc.

Gel appears to be fully cured at only 50%, it will be hard and shiny and any uncured product will be invisible to the human eye. By using an incorrect lamp, uncured gel has a chance to move through the nail, this can cause overexposure with repeated use.

Please do not apply any other gel products to your clients nails, refer them to a doctor who can pin point their allergy, if it is indeed one.

Insurance can be very tricky in this instance , Every insurance company is well aware of the risks posed by gels when improperly cured and certainly in my own policy states very clearly that manufacturers instructions should always be followed, and this most definitely includes the lamp for my chosen system.

I do think however, Gelish are more flexible on this point, I would contact them directly and ask their stance on using the correct lamp, if they do insist on it be aware by not using it you may be voiding your insurance policy.

Thankyou all so much, I have learnt something new!
I'm very new to this anyway so I guess it's all a learning journey still
Ok I will speak to my client and explain why I think it's happened and also suggest she refrain from gels until speaking to her doctor, thanks again everyone x

Oh ok thankyou

Your trainer misled you. Traditional CFL-UV lamps have a broad range (from 300-400 nm) so they tend to cure most products, although they take longer. Newer LED lamps have a much narrower range (375-415nm). You might take a look at this article - http://www.nailsmag.com/article/93494/the-difference-between-led-and-uv-lamps Each product is designed to cure within a specific wavelength of UV light. It is possible that by not using the lamp for your product, you are not getting a proper cure - remember that gels harden at only 55% cure. More importantly, your insurance may not cover you if you are not following the manufacturer's instructions, including using the specified lamp. We do use different products and have the lamps that go with them, except where we have gotten consent from the manufacturer (Gelish, for example, allowed the use of the OPI black lamp).

CND advertises Shellac as hypoallergenic and many clients who have a reaction to other gel nail lacquers can use Shellac without a problem. Again, this requires having the appropriate CND lamp

Last edited:
Thankyou, I'm currently using IBD products so I will have a good look for an IBD lamp. Had a little look but couldn't find anything so will look again later tonight

Thankyou, I'm currently using IBD products so I will have a good look for an IBD lamp. Had a little look but couldn't find anything so will look again later tonight

You might contact IBD directly. We had a very hard time finding the IBD LED lamps here, so we asked IBD and they stated that the Gelish lamps were acceptable.

You might contact IBD directly. We had a very hard time finding the IBD LED lamps here, so we asked IBD and they stated that the Gelish lamps were acceptable.
Hi Nancy, I know this post was well over a year ago but I just wanted to ask, when you contacted IBD, did you use the contact us link from their site? And how long did they take to get back to you? I’ve been trying to get ahold of IBD for a few days now and absolutely nothing. Thank you :)

Hun I use IBD and I cannot source one anywhere. I’m going to have to completely change brands due to this. I have 20+ new bod gel polishes. I didn’t know about lamps until I joined this forum x

Hi Nancy, I know this post was well over a year ago but I just wanted to ask, when you contacted IBD, did you use the contact us link from their site? And how long did they take to get back to you? I’ve been trying to get ahold of IBD for a few days now and absolutely nothing. Thank you :)

I’ve just realised this is a year old lol! I contacted IBD about a month ago and nothing. Customer service must be appaling!

Agree of course with NancySyd's post, but one more important point to add. In addition to the UV lamp producing the correct UV wavelength (like frequency) for the gel, the lamp also has to have the correct "brightness" (actually, UV Illuminance, which is the amount of UV energy that lands on the surface of the nail).

So maybe you have a gel that needs a UV lamp producing 365nm UV, but the UV Illuminance is too low (under cures), or too high (overcures, heat spikes).

This is why the gels / gel polishes have to matched to the UV lamp. As an analogy, it's why when you replace the tyres on a car you have to buy a certain type - size alone is not specific enough. That's because a car, like gels, is designed as a system. If you start replacing one part with third party products, you won't get the same performance or safety. (This is why tyre manufacturers fight like crazy to have their tyres designed into new cars - the customer is then locked in for life).

Gelish cures at a different spectrum level to IBD so I would advise that mixing these two brands in salon using only one lamp (suiting one, and not the other brand) is not best practice (nor going to fully cure both brands)

If it were a new development, I would have at a guess that its because of the lamp issue - it is under cured. However, as she mentioned she can't wear a specific brand, you may find that the allergy developed with her previous tech due to the same kind of situation or, her previous tech could have regularly been getting it on her skin causing a reaction and now, your under curing is flaring it up.
At the end of the day, you can't guarantee your work if aren't using products and lamps designed to be used together. It can also effect your insurance :s

I have a client like this and it was not the gel but actone that was causing the problem. The itching etc would come on in the evening after I had done her nails no matter what brand I used. I put Vaseline on the skin around the nails before I wrap. And after I’ve done cuticle work she washes her hands before I gel.

I have a client like this and it was not the gel but actone that was causing the problem. The itching etc would come on in the evening after I had done her nails no matter what brand I used. I put Vaseline on the skin around the nails before I wrap. And after I’ve done cuticle work she washes her hands before I gel.
Hi. Does this stop the reaction?

Latest posts

Back