Client unknowns

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaraB

Reaction score
Hi All,

We have seen threads where the hair is affected by tints not turning out as expected, and changes happening when you don't expect them to. Even in the Nail forums where the gel doesn't set right or the clients nail beds are altering. How do you deal with these situations when you don't know the full history of the client.

I know many clients do indeed mention whether they are pregnant or in the throws of chemo due to cancer, but what about the lifelong illnesses that are not visible, and the client appears to be healthy, HOWEVER they are hiding a lifelong illness where they take daily medication. These medications could therefore pose as a possible contraindication. Due to personal reasons clients may withhold this information, and adverse effects may occur.

Would you second guess your work or begin to have self doubt? Would you discuss events in a forum like this? Seek advice elsewhere?

Just wondered whether anyone would even consider the fact that there may be underlying issues or whether they would point blankly lay blame at their own work?

Should anything happen I would ask the client if there were any medication they take they didn't tell me during the consultation. I am quite thorough with my approach and take test cuttings, skin test and ask them if they take medication as well as delve into the past.
Knowing clients lie often I re question in a different way. After the usual "are you on any medication?" Question I later ask "is there anything you are taking at the moment?" It usually catches them out if they are. X

Should anything happen I would ask the client if there were any medication they take they didn't tell me during the consultation. I am quite thorough with my approach and take test cuttings, skin test and ask them if they take medication as well as delve into the past.
Knowing clients lie often I re question in a different way. After the usual "are you on any medication?" Question I later ask "is there anything you are taking at the moment?" It usually catches them out if they are. X

Hahaha, I like that approach, I can see how this would work, almost a double bluff situation, but I still wonder how many clients are "TRUE" with professionals. I think clients who are embarrassed about their situation and don't realise the effects of not disclosing information, may still possibly with hold. I know its down to us the professionals to try to get them to understand. Just been thinking of all the issues that could be contraindications and whether we all really know all of them.

Hahaha, I like that approach, I can see how this would work, almost a double bluff situation, but I still wonder how many clients are "TRUE" with professionals. I think clients who are embarrassed about their situation and don't realise the effects of not disclosing information, may still possibly with hold. I know its down to us the professionals to try to get them to understand. Just been thinking of all the issues that could be contraindications and whether we all really know all of them.

We can only know what the clients divulge - hence the need for thorough consultation and signed consent form. I once had a client who was moving out of the area and only then did she tell me she was type 1 diabetic, insulin dependent! When I asked her why she had not told me this before, she replied "well, you wouldn't have waxed me, would you!".

These type of clients are only doing themselves a disservice by not being honest with you.

For example the lady who's client was moving and admitted she was diabetic - if anything had gone wrong she would not have had a leg to stand on in making a claim as she had not disclosed her condition.

Yes you may have felt bad or even wondered how the heck xy or z incident had happened. That is when we get the queries on here - my client keeps coming back with chips in her nail polish, is it me or what else could it be?

Someone will suggest it may be medication or pregnancy hormones and the tech will ask the client straight out. If they fail to disclose your not going to get to the bottom of it and they will either continue to have the service as is and get chips or they may change service for a gel polish or something else.

We can't force them to tell us things if they don't want to but I do explain that the questions I'm asking are important as I wouldn't want to hurt them or cause them discomfort by doing a treatment I shouldn't.

Last edited:
I think, maybe, we need to show the client that anything they disclose is protected information.

The time when we do our most thorough consultation is on first meeting the client (although, of course, we should at least ask if anything has changed on subsequent appointments.) Clients are basically being asked to trust us, and that can be a hard ask when they don't know us and, let's be honest, it's a largely unregulated industry.

What to do? Maybe go through an information sheet on contra-indications, to de-personalise it first? I ask the question as I don't know the answer.

If I said I have a microprolactinoma and take cabergoline, would that make you any wiser? How do you know which medication may be a problem? Just wondering. :)

If I said I have a microprolactinoma and take cabergoline, would that make you any wiser? How do you know which medication may be a problem? Just wondering. :)
If I don't know then & there (& I wouldn't know about what you just wrote above) I would ask you to explain a little more about your medical issue and then if I was still unsure I would go off and research if it might be a problem to perform the treatment (usually only need a quick google for some facts about the medical issue and a possible call to insurance company), as I am mobile I would excuse myself & pop to my car to make these enquiries in private and then go back to inform the client if there were any issues and we needed to change things or do a different treatment or if I could go ahead with what was booked in.

We are taught that some things are a definate no - if what you have isn't one of those I would want to check it out and ensure I am not putting you in danger.

After a quick google I would determine your condition or medication would not cause any issues with most of the treatments I do, but it could cause issues with tans.
I would not ring my insurance company but I would explain that there are possible issues of the tan not taking correctly or patches of lighter/darker tan & see if you wanted to go ahead knowing the risk of unpredictable colour.

How did I do?

After a quick google I would determine your condition or medication would not cause any issues with most of the treatments I do, but it could cause issues with tans.
I would not ring my insurance company but I would explain that there are possible issues of the tan not taking correctly or patches of lighter/darker tan & see if you wanted to go ahead knowing the risk of unpredictable colour.

How did I do?

Thanks Baggybear, I was just testing :)
I do have the condition but don't take the medication any more due to the side effects out weighing the benefits, why would it cause issues with tans I wonder?.

With that condition there is a POSSIBILITY that it might affect the colour of a spray tan in the same way as being pregnant can, the time of the month can and HRT can - it's all hormones & how they can affect our skin.

If you have previously had a spray tan and were fine then there is probably nothing to worry about but I would always prefer to say it MIGHT turn out this way so that your at least prepared for the possibility. :D

That is one of the points that I was trying to make Penners (although probably no quite affectively), however we all know our trade and we are all professionals and can indeed take follow up courses to gain a better understanding, but having illnesses myself and take medications it makes me wonder whether we could all advise. Baggybear explained wonderfully what should happen, so thank you Baggybear very much.

It is a very very interesting subject, and would anything actually make our insurance void? I know we get signatures for clients to give us their permission for services to be carried out, however there are many views that disclaimers are invalid, so if unfortunately adverse reactions occurred would that mean that the original agreement was also invalid as we as the professional should know and look into all aspects?

I do apologise if my way of wording is not easy to understand, it made sense in my head when I was talking it through to myself lol. :D

Latest posts

Back