Client wanting refund or redo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

line28

Reaction score
I've been a nail tech for 6 months and I've never had anyone complain about the way I do nails or my process. I have lots of repeat customers and everyone goes away happy. I've had nails last on clients for weeks with no problems. About 2 weeks ago I did a woman's nails and she texted me a week and a half after to say that all of her nails had come off...ALL OF THEM. I've literally never had this happen, ever. She wants to come in and have them redone for free or she wants a refund. I fear this might be my fault because when she got them done she asked how long they should last, I said, off hand, "two weeks or more" because that's normally the minimum with my other clients, and that's only if their nails grow really fast. I'm not sure what to do, any help would be appreciated!!!

I don't believe all of her nails fell off I think she could be lying! You could have another consultation with her and see for sure before you do any work for free.

Ask her to come in asap so you can see her nails and you'll be able to tell straight away if there's any damage to the nail plate.
Don't give a refund! If there's no damage then I'd offer a new set as a gesture of goodwill but make it clear it's not anything to do with application.

Last edited:
Until you see the nails and talk to the client you don't know what happened. You need to check the surface of the nail plate for damage, if present this would suggest force of some sort was involved in their removal. You also need to ask about aftercare. What had she been doing prior to the nails coming off etc. Only once you have all relevant information can you make a decision and make sure that decision is based on good business sense and not emotion.

I don't believe all of her nails fell off I think she could be lying! You could have another consultation with her and see for sure before you do any work for free.
Yes, I think that she may have taken them off in efforts to get a free set of nails because people have always been happy with the fact that my nails don't come off! They always have to come to me if they want them removed!

Ask her to come in asap so you can see her nails and you'll be able to tell straight away if there's any damage to the nail plate.
Don't give a refund! If there's no damage then I'd offer a new set as a gesture of goodwill but make it clear it's not anything to do with application.
I saw her nails briefly the other day, she came by on the way somewhere else, it did look like the nail plate had been damaged/roughed up. I'm not keen to give her a free set because I'd have to deal with her annoying child again. Her child managed to steal a nail polish by putting it in her stroller and smash a bottle of one of my brand new nail treatments!!

Until you see the nails and talk to the client you don't know what happened. You need to check the surface of the nail plate for damage, if present this would suggest force of some sort was involved in their removal. You also need to ask about aftercare. What had she been doing prior to the nails coming off etc. Only once you have all relevant information can you make a decision and make sure that decision is based on good business sense and not emotion.
I saw her nails the other day and they did look damaged/rough. She said that she took great care of them, but who knows? She said that she was just sitting down on he sofa and they all started lifting... I don't want her to bad mouth me and stop me getting business, but at the same time, I don't appreciate being taken for a fool or having the off hand comment of "two weeks" being thrown in my face. What would you do in this situation?

I would wait and see the condition of the nail plate when she comes back like the other girls have said and then make your judgement. I wouldn't offer a set for free but possibly at half price, that way you're giving her a decent discount and she's less likely to bad mouth you. A week and a half for some people's nails is standard depending on their job and home life, not everyone will get the full 2 weeks and some people are lucky to get much longer!

In our salon if nails break/lift within a week we usually repair for free. Anything over and above we charge per nail to fix. Some salons will only repair for free up to 48 hours so don't feel bad about knowing your worth!

I wouldn't be doing her nails for free.

I'd be telling her that due to the nails no longer being on and her not letting you know at the time of them lifting, you can't assess to see what the problem is.

Nails don't just lift and drop off whilst sat on a sofa, they lift over a period of time - time which she should've used to message you & sent some pictures.

Why would she want you to do them again if they were so bad?

She clearly thinks you work for fun.

I saw her nails the other day and they did look damaged/rough. She said that she took great care of them, but who knows? She said that she was just sitting down on he sofa and they all started lifting... I don't want her to bad mouth me and stop me getting business, but at the same time, I don't appreciate being taken for a fool or having the off hand comment of "two weeks" being thrown in my face. What would you do in this situation?

Clients will say what they want to who ever will listen good or bad... sometimes no matter the discount you offer they will still have a bad attitude...

'Nails fell off whilst sitting on the sofa' a week and a half after having them done. If you'd made a mistake, they would have come off a lot sooner.

Do you really want her as a long term client?

If not, don't refund or offer any discount. You don't want her back, after all.
Tell her that maybe you're not the tech for her and wish her well.

Latest posts

Back