Client with a lot of warmth

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly123

Reaction score
Hi all
I have a client who is around base 4 who likes a half head of very light blonde.
I used to achieve this with 12.89 and bleach foils alternated. However due to the condition of her hair we decided a couple of months ago to do a half head of just 12.89. I put some packets throughout with 9.04 and an extra dash of gold in and it matched up fine and she was happy.

However she's recently been saying it's too golden. The last time I done her hair I toned the roots but she came back and I had to over the roots again with 10.1 to lift it more.
I redone the regrowth again on thurs and she said it was ok but I got a message on Sunday saying she is not happy and wants the second tint on the roots again like the last time.
I'm not happy about having to redo the roots a second time (for free) every time to get her the colour she wants.

Please does anyone have any suggestions on what do do? I work on my own and don't have any workmates to ask for advice!

She would be happy with a 10 with a little gold.
Also she doesn't like ash. She is a very fussy and difficult client!

Last edited:
I don't get it so she's a nautral level 4 but has a tint of 10.1 and what vol on her roots with foils of 10.89 alternating with 9.04 is that correct?

No sorry if I've not made it clear

1st tint was 12.81 on roots, lifted to a 9 but with a lot of warmth
She came back to complain about the warmth and I put 10.1 over the golden area and it was fine.

Last thurs she came back to get the regrowth touched up and I done 12.89 on the roots and then wove some packets through the ends with 9.04 and a dash of gold to tone down and add some warmth into the ends. This was fine any she appeared happy.

But I got the message on Sunday slating my work and saying she wants me to redo the roots again like I did the first tint (as above)

Is there any product that will lift a 4/5 base to a clean neutral 9/10 that's not too golden.

I'm happy to do the 2 tints but she always said she's happy then complains a few dabs later and wants the second tint done ASAP. She lives 3 doors away from me and her and the hubby are making my life hell!

Last edited:
What peroxide are you using both times?
What level is acheived with the 12.89 and what is acheived with the 10.1

Why don't u just do the roots then tone them with a 10.1 on the same day?

Gosh that's incredible to achieve a level 9 from a 4 without bleach, even if there's warmth left that's still an incredible lift from a tint! Majiblonde 901s is a nice high lift tint - use it with 9% to get better toning and a cleaner blonde - make sure you leave it the full 50 minute development time. There is just enough ash in to counteract some yellow without actually giving an ashy result. X

Gosh that's incredible to achieve a level 9 from a 4 without bleach, even if there's warmth left that's still an incredible lift from a tint! Majiblonde 901s is a nice high lift tint - use it with 9% to get better toning and a cleaner blonde - make sure you leave it the full 50 minute development time. There is just enough ash in to counteract some yellow without actually giving an ashy result. X

Yes I would suggest trying the same! 901s is brilliant

I think it sounds as if she's a bleach and tone client. No hi lift tint is designed to lift on a level 4, or even a 5.

Have you looked at ColorGraphics by Matrix? This might be a good solution for her, otherwise you need to start charging for double process colour.

I had saw matrix colour graphics the other day but it was quite pricey. I normally charge her £45 for the half head.
I accept that it is a double process to get her to where she wants (the oubel prices being 12.89 40v first process and 10.1 20v second process).

She sees the second tint going on as my mistake and doesn't want to pay exra for it. I have explained everything thoroughly to her but she thinks there must be "something" that can give her hat she wants! I feel I've done all I can do for her and a feeling very demotivated by her :-(

I had saw matrix colour graphics the other day but it was quite pricey. I normally charge her £45 for the half head.
I accept that it is a double process to get her to where she wants (the oubel prices being 12.89 40v first process and 10.1 20v second process).

She sees the second tint going on as my mistake and doesn't want to pay exra for it. I have explained everything thoroughly to her but she thinks there must be "something" that can give her hat she wants! I feel I've done all I can do for her and a feeling very demotivated by her :-(

12/89 with 40 vol and then 10.1 with 20 vol isn't the way forward though and you know it.

You need to simply explain that there is one product you know of (graphics) that might help her achieve her dreams in one step but it will cost X amount extra. Failing that, you will need to pre-lighten and then tone which costs Y amount. You cannot achieve the look she desires on her current budget. It's that simple. She either sticks with the warmth and spends £45 or finds an extra £15 or so and is happy. Ask her what she'd like to do before her next appointment. ;)

Thanks classixuk, starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel with her. She is due shortly to have the second colour (10.1) to say I'm peed off would be an understatement!
Doing a second colour flight for nothing, when I told her when she was here on thurs that I thought it was still too warm and offered to fix it then has massively annoyed me. (And the fact of the Sunday morning doorbell ringing and telephone calls) don't think my patience can stand her going on and on (yes and on some more) about her hair tonight! :-(

Would matrix lightmaster be ok on this client? I've not used matrix before
What's the diff ends between the lightmaster and colourgraphix?

Would matrix lightmaster be ok on this client? I've not used matrix before
What's the diff ends between the lightmaster and colourgraphix?

Lightmaster is a regular bleach Kelly.

ColorGraphics is a special lightener that you can add pigments to (red, yellow, green, blue, violet etc.) - think of it like a highlift tint that lifts upto 7 levels (but cannot be used on the scalp). It's like bleaching and toning in one step. Affinage also make a similar product but I've never used it so can't comment on it. ColorGraphics is quite good though!

Colourgraphix sounds good but I'd have to use foils and she wants it straight onto the scalp. :-/
I was using bleach and 20v with 12.81 in foils alternated and it was lovely. But the bleach was very drying on her hair and she wanted away from it totally and now loves the colour all over.
I think my only option with her is to pre lighten then do the 12.89 which will be the correct colour that's she is after.

I think I will think I'll get some colourgraphix though and have a try. Does it lift out colour as I have a 2 clients who are quite dark and want to go a bit lighter. (That's why I was reading about the lightmaster recently, it apparently strips colour well?) or would colour graphix in foils be ok?

I think you need to take control of the situation, and assert yourself as a professional.

You know that the more a colouring product lifts, the less tone it will deposit, therefore she has two options- either a single process darker colour, or a double process lighter colour which will be at a higher cost.

I think you need to make it black and white with these people, explain it is either option A or B. There is no middle ground.

A little story:

We used to have a lady come in, and we tried so hard to make her happy. Every colour was wrong - either too light, too dark, too warm, too ash, too red, too flat... You get the picture. I remember that she kept a little index card with her, that had every colour formula every hairdresser had used on her for the last 10 years, with little notes next to each one of how it turned out.

We pretty much went through every colour in the shade chart we could possibly use on her. We had lost control of the situation. She would be too involved with the consultation in terms of saying "what about if you add a bit of this, and a bit of that etc.."

Although she was a nice person, eventually we would dread doing her her hair, because it was never right. And to make things worse, every time she had a colour done she would be in the following week to get it redone free of charge so we weren't making any money from doing her hair.

In the end we had to say good bye to her. But the moral of the story is remember you are the professional. If she doesn't agree with the professional opinion she is welcome to go elsewhere, but there is no way she should be having colour done for free just because she is making it out to be your mistake.

As I am typing this I remember the lady once saying "It would be great if you could make the colours up, adding in the exact amount of each tone to create the colour." If I ever see hair again, I will let her know my friend Classix in liverpool can help her ;)

Lol. Thanks Adam, but I'd rather you didn't! ;)

Great advice above though, as always!

We cannot break the laws of hair colour just because our clients wish it was so!

:)

Another idea might be wella magma in the /89 with 20 vol! This is also a bleach with an inbuilt toner - often used to get a vibrant red or a soft blonde in a single process on dark hair x

Another idea might be wella magma in the /89 with 20 vol! This is also a bleach with an inbuilt toner - often used to get a vibrant red or a soft blonde in a single process on dark hair x

I would love to see pictures of this! I have been thinking about trying magma recently and only considered getting the reds, but this makes sense since they don't fade like a toner would, right?

But it's off the scalp only, isn't it?

I would love to see pictures of this! I have been thinking about trying magma recently and only considered getting the reds, but this makes sense since they don't fade like a toner would, right?

But it's off the scalp only, isn't it?

Ahh yes that's very true, magma is strictly for off scalp use only x I love magma on dark hair - at college I had a couple of Asian clients naturally level 3 at least, maybe darker - got them creamy blonde with a full head of magma foils ;) x

Thank you everyone for your very valued opinions!

I was losing confidence I myself and was beginning to think that as I work I my own I was getting out of touch with products and there must be something else I maybe didn't know about.

Xx

Latest posts

Back