Client with lip filler issues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosieR

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a client that had lip fillers early in December from a tech that visited her house. I do not do anything aesthetic and thought nothing more about it. It's her choice.
She came today and her lips look so sore, almost like the surface skin around the lips is breaking down. Her lip margin is almost invisible and she says they are very sore and dry.
Obviously I am curious as to what could be going on. What potential problems can cause it?
I quizzed her and she "thought" the tech used a pen, it was very ,very painful and bruised.
She went to Tenerife for 3 weeks at Christmas and sunbathed- so is the uv a factor in breakdown?
She was given no information on what was used/aftercare and is very much in the dark.
Attached photo ....to me they look a real mess.
Beryl fillers (2).JPG

Any thoughts please?

There are numerous things I can think of. But first of all I would refer this lady back to the treating practitioner, and if not possible - to her GP. Being sore is not normal 2 months post filler. Looks like she might had herpes outbreak after the procedure. She also might had local reaction, as the points of entry are still erythematous, which indicates inflammation. In the wrong hands hyaluron pen as dangerous as a needle, if not more. Also, sun bathing is a big "no-no" post filler for a reason. Saying that, without face to face consultation it is difficult to determine exactly what's wrong with the area. Need to know her medical history as well.

Your right her lip border seems to of disappeared what was they like before? Tbh id personally advise her to go to the drs to be on the safe side x

There are numerous things I can think of. But first of all I would refer this lady back to the treating practitioner, and if not possible - to her GP. Being sore is not normal 2 months post filler. Looks like she might had herpes outbreak after the procedure. She also might had local reaction, as the points of entry are still erythematous, which indicates inflammation. In the wrong hands hyaluron pen as dangerous as a needle, if not more. Also, sun bathing is a big "no-no" post filler for a reason. Saying that, without face to face consultation it is difficult to determine exactly what's wrong with the area. Need to know her medical history as well.

Thankyou Marina_B or your prompt reply,

Yes those were my thoughts too, and I had urged her to get in touch with the practitioner and check her aftercare leaflet really carefully.
She said she had thrown the leaflet away so no luck there and she didn't want to complain to the provider because she was a friend of her sister in law.
This procedure was a birthday present too from that same person, so she's not wanting to do that.
She's on bp medication and more recently statins.
She does get cold sores, so she had been using zovirax as she thought it could be a bad outbreak to add to the problem.
I will get back to her today and urge her to visit the GP if she won't contact the practitioner.
I have also suggested she has no more "gifts " from the relative as she maybe more prone to allergic reactions than the relative.
Thankyou RosieR

Your right her lip border seems to of disappeared what was they like before? Tbh id personally advise her to go to the drs to be on the safe side x

Thankyou Keeleysimo for your prompt reply,

Her lip border is normally clearly defined , but has quite pale lips. Naturally they are slim lips but they do seem to have sunk into her mouth because of the filler. Unfortunately she has no leaflet giving me a clue to know what products were used, and as she doesn't want to complain because of the "gift" from her relative, I can only support and ask you guys what do you think.
Certainly I will suggest a trip to the Gp today.

Thankyou RosieR

It could be down to a lot of factors, I got a lip enhancement by a practitioner called Dr Hennessy and he gave me a full breakdown of all the things to do and not to do. It's hard to know if it was bad job done or a reaction to something. You said she was sunbathing, this is a big no after getting your lips done, the heat especially can cause reactions. I would 100% seek a professional in the cosmetic industry such as Dr Hennessy or seek a Dr although I think the professional Dr's in the industry will have more knowledge if it's due to a poor lip job so maybe try both

Hi Lola44,

Too late for your advice unfortunately as it was a post from 2 years ago. Thankyou for being so courteous with a response. The client has not returned since covid so I aren't sure how things went after that.
Thanks anyway.

Latest posts

Back