Clients asking for discount after price increase!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should inform all regulars of price increase.

I don't agree with this - no other business in the world does it.

When I get into my car and drive to the garage for petrol and then the supermarket for bread and milk I am not informed by any of them that they will be having price increases next week or next month etc.

I think having an annual price review is accepted by most sane people, but when you do your price review make it thorough - you might find that the prices of some services can be reduced or at least ought to be due to market changes, as well as others going up for the same reasons.

A couple of months ago I increased my prices.
One of my clients cancelled an appointment then I get a call from her today asking how much my Hollywood waxing was, it has gone up £5 from the price she used to pay.
It's a mum and daughter I do and she kept saying well what discount are you going to give us as your coming to our house to do it and it is both of us having the waxing.

I said that this time round as an offer I will do it at the old price but I don't want them to think they don't have to pay my new prices, they go up for a reason.

What do you think I should say to them when I go to their appointment, should I tell them it's a one off.
I know they prefer my waxing to other times when they have been to local salons so they do prefer me but if they do then that's my price and that's that.

Am I right?

If you are traveling to their home it should be more expensive, not discounted!

With being self employed or having a group of regulars that trust you and come back to you, informing them of change shows you think of them and appreciate them. Same with giving deals for loyal clients, which is why I said 'inform your regulars'
That's what sets us apart from the different job industries, more personal and caring towards our customers

Before increasing my prices I sent out an email about the price increase with a 2 month notice period.

Anyway I went to the clients house yesterday and she got another bit of waxing as well as hollywoods so I was a winner rather than lose the clients for the sake of a bit extra, and they rebooked but to all new clients my price will be as as advertised.

I went from home salon to salon day I opened prices went up on one treatment by $20 I added a lot of new treatments too. I'm the most expensive for waxing, spray tans and massage but I have to be as my products are more expensive I buy the best. I told a few client in at their first booking prices had increased and they had a choice of going with reg massage or SRT which they usually had but had risen in price. All chose to pay extra $20. If your treatments are worth the cost clients will pay. I'm busier now I'm in salon and loving it. Best advice I'd ever had was price yourself higher than competion and never assume what someone can afford.

I went from home salon to salon day I opened prices went up on one treatment by $20 I added a lot of new treatments too. I'm the most expensive for waxing, spray tans and massage but I have to be as my products are more expensive I buy the best. I told a few client in at their first booking prices had increased and they had a choice of going with reg massage or SRT which they usually had but had risen in price. All chose to pay extra $20. If your treatments are worth the cost clients will pay. I'm busier now I'm in salon and loving it. Best advice I'd ever had was price yourself higher than competion and never assume what someone can afford.

Agreed to some point. I'm thinking of reviewing my price as I have a client that made me take double the price because it was what she was expecting to have to pay. Recently she had a few things done in the salon by myself as a colleague and massively over paid because she was expecting to pay more than we charged.
Obviously when she does silly things like that I use some to get her a gift or send her products for free. But at the same time we get clients in more often for smaller things like a blowdry because its affordable, if we charged much higher they wouldn't come in for it done "because they couldn't be bothered to dry their hair" and it would lose us regular bread and butter type business xoxo

Depends on market you target. I'm on a island with 4000 people I target workers & business owners. I have some treatments that are affordable to the masses like gel polish for $35 but I can't affordf to be busy without making profit so I'm steady and happy. When it's a quiet week I still know I can make enough to pay bills. Last winter some weeks I had 3 massages all week just about broke but if I'd charged less I wouldn't have been busier just made less. Next week I have 5 booked in already which is great as last few weeks I've had no advance bookings even though on the day it's been busy with walk ins.

Latest posts

Back