Clients moaning about cost for threading

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie_w_

Reaction score
Hi
I'm mobile in a number of beauty treatment; the only one I don't need a lot of product is threading as it's literally just thread. I've quite a few ladies who have a bit of a dig at me for my prices for threading when it's just a piece of thread. I've checked my local area and my prices are quite reasonable I think £20 full face, £10 eyebrows or £5 lip/chin.
I don't want to tell them "well I've come out to your house and used my petrol and your lying on my beauty bed" as I feel this would be unprofessional. I just say that that's the local cost of the treatment. do you ladies have any clients who don't like paying for something that doesn't use a lot of product? X

Sadly I think it happens at times and some clients will try it on where they can...
Sometimes when I have clients for waxing and I do the treatment really quickly you get the odd one that comments how quick it was and how little hair they had and is it the same price!! ..

At the end of the day they are paying for your expertise and also as a mobile therapist the fact that you have travelled to their home to make it more convenient for them generally should come at an additional cost!

I've said it in here before.

Eating in a restaurant - it's just a bit of chicken. Cooked at home it may cost you a pound or two, cooked by Jamie Oliver it would cost a lot more, but it's still just a bit of chicken!

They are paying for your time and expertise, none if which comes cheap. The piece of thread is almost incidental!

Like Jack, I feel it the other way. I almost feel is criminal to charge what I do. But only almost.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

In a nice way, I would explain to them the time and effort it took for you to become competent at this treatment.

Yes you don't need anything other than thread (...or your couch, means of travel, insurance, beauty case, marketing materials, time, uniform, booking system etc etc etc!!) but from what I hear, threading is a very difficult treatment to master and you should be charging appropriately to match that!

If you believe you're charging the correct price then stand by it xx

Your both so right; I know if it was someone else with this thread I'd be saying what your both saying to me. Just when your caught off guard and made to feel like I'm ripping someone off is just a horrible feeling. Little do these lady's know the blood, sweat and tears training and practicing to become so thorough in threading.
The joys of working with the public hey 😖xx

The fact is, these clients moan, but yet still come back to you time & time again speaks volumes!! Stand by your prices! people are very narrow minded sometimes when in their head "it's just a bit of thread!" What they are actually paying for is your time,skill,expertise,knowledge & professionalism these things combined are actually priceless! & sometimes clients would do well to remember that!!

There is a very good reason lots of people don't tweeze, wax or thread their own eyebrows :rolleyes:

They are paying for your expertise, training, products, equipment and time. But they shouldn't moan because if you go to any department store in London they charge about £15 just for eyebrows!

Oh, I can't stand it. What about massage, just oil? What about a haircut, just scissors? Reflexology, reiki, etc.
I would be tempted to give them the thread and say in that case do it yourself. Oh yes, that's right you can't, because you haven't paid thousands for training, spent hours getting your skills perfected, hundreds of pounds and hundreds of hours advertising and getting clients not to mention the petrol money and wear and tear on my car. I tell your what, just pay me 2p for the thread I use!!

I really wish the industry was regulated as it would put a stop to so many people offering their services so cheaply.

I have a lady who I spray tan and asked me to do her eyebrows as well. When I told her my price she said "Oh don't worry, I have a girl who comes to me and only charges £3." Seriously how can you even begin to explain?!

I really wish the industry was regulated as it would put a stop to so many people offering their services so cheaply.

I have a lady who I spray tan and asked me to do her eyebrows as well. When I told her my price she said "Oh don't worry, I have a girl who comes to me and only charges £3." Seriously how can you even begin to explain?!

There's a salon by me who charge £2 for eyebrow waxing, £7 for Shellac and £5 for a spray tan! They are looking for a self employed therapist to rent space but how can anyone make a living off those prices? I'm sure £2 waxing barely covers cost. I'm mobile and they are in a big shopping centre with excellent footfall, how is anyone supposed to compete with that?
It's no surprise clients get confused or feel like they are being ripped off when prices vary like that. Especially when they won't sit down and factor in things like seeing a return on the cost of courses, uniform, travel, delivery charges (if you buy over the Internet) as well as labour costs, you wouldn't go to a car garage and expect to pay £50 for a part n not pay the £60+ an hour for labour costs, so why they don't think this about therapists is beyond me.

£2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shame on them!

I think its about education though to be fair-they wont have thought about the fact youhave paid for training and practised. And once you point out youpay tax, Ni, insurance, travel, kit, admin etc they will more often than not go oh yeah!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

There's a salon by me who charge £2 for eyebrow waxing, £7 for Shellac and £5 for a spray tan! They are looking for a self employed therapist to rent space but how can anyone make a living off those prices? I'm sure £2 waxing barely covers cost. I'm mobile and they are in a big shopping centre with excellent footfall, how is anyone supposed to compete with that?
It's no surprise clients get confused or feel like they are being ripped off when prices vary like that. Especially when they won't sit down and factor in things like seeing a return on the cost of courses, uniform, travel, delivery charges (if you buy over the Internet) as well as labour costs, you wouldn't go to a car garage and expect to pay £50 for a part n not pay the £60+ an hour for labour costs, so why they don't think this about therapists is beyond me.

If you charge these prices, you will attract clients who will pay these prices!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you charge these prices, you will attract clients who will pay these prices!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes that is true, my concern is you would need a high volume of clients to cover all running costs, and where I live there are so many salons, some a few metres away from each other, that are well established so they will have a good following.
Perhaps marketing towards people on a tight budget is a good idea but there are only so many hours in a day, which could make turning a profit difficult.

Highly doubt they will last long!!!!

Oh, I can't stand it. What about massage, just oil? What about a haircut, just scissors? Reflexology, reiki, etc.
I would be tempted to give them the thread and say in that case do it yourself. Oh yes, that's right you can't, because you haven't paid thousands for training, spent hours getting your skills perfected, hundreds of pounds and hundreds of hours advertising and getting clients not to mention the petrol money and wear and tear on my car. I tell your what, just pay me 2p for the thread I use!!

What a great rant....love it and spot on. if only the clients would read these posts.

It really is disheartening. It's bad enough when there are so many salons around competing with one another for business, but when they charge prices like this, they're doing the industry no favours at all.

I worked in a salon for 3 days....yes that was all I could suffer. The prices were ridiculous and I was working on a commission basis. I was making something like £6 a day. :eek:

Next time just hand them the thread and tell them to have a go. They'll soon realise why you charge! Lol x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next time just hand them the thread and tell them to have a go. They'll soon realise why you charge! Lol x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, can you imagine the look on their face?

£6 a day :eek: that is disappointing, the treatments we do are something we feel passionate about and enjoy. But we still want to be able to live afterwards. You can't do that on £6 a day!

Latest posts

Back