Clients refusing to complete consultation cards

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MummyCat

Reaction score
What do you do when a client point blank refuses to complete a consultation card?

Do you carry on with the treatment at both of your own risks?

There was a client in the salon getting her hair done yesterday and she told her stylist that she'd like her nails done, so I went over and gave her a consultation card to complete and she just simply refused to do it, but kept the card in front of her as she was going to have her nails done after her hair was finished.

So I'd set up ready to do her nails and then she was paying for her hair and she said to me that she didn't have time to have her nails done. I really don't know how offensive it is to complete a consultation card! :irked:

But anyway, other members of staff said to me that she can be quite rude and obnoxious, but it just makes me wonder how on earth she gets through life being like that, how does she possibly have any treatments done anywhere?

No consultation card, no treatment, it's part and parcel of my insurance conditions

Never really understood why people have to be difficult for the sake of it :irked:

ETA - So do the hairdressers not have a consultation/record card for her?

If you don't have a clients details on a consultation card your insurance will not cover you. If your clients don't fill one out don't treat them. You don't want to be held responsible for compensations if anything bad happens during treatment.

I had this scary monobrow looking lady in last week. She was about 6ft tall had a proper biker jacket- with all the cool badges and well looked like she could beat my ass! :Scared:
Oh well indimatation was the word.
But when she spoke.. so lovely....still had a moan about why do i need to fill this out! ive never had to do it before.
I buckled up! I simply asked a series of questions, are you allergic to this? you see we are so busy, each client has different reactions, and we can keep up to if your sensitive or not and customise our treatments accordingly. :) My Work mode kicked in and well im glad i sorted my stuff out!:Grope: xoxo

I have to have cards because I need to get it out every time they get waxed as it's dated and detailed with what they've had done. I ask them verbally on their first visit too about health and in particular use of Accutane.

However, in all of my lifetime of going to hairdressers and beauty salons, I don't ever re-call completing a card. I don't actually care because their business is not my business but makes you wonder doesn't it. It had no reflection on their treatment though as I've never had any disasters and I would always tell them if their tools weren't in Barbicide. I'm not rude; I just say 'Sorry but can you clean your tools before you use them on me, is that ok?' I don't make them feel awkward.

I fill my clients consultation cards out, then go through it with them and they sign and date. Much easier some people cannot be bothered to fill one out!

I've had a few clients question why they should need a consultation, but when I've explained why they've always been fine.

Only once have I had someone still refuse to fill one in, which was about 7 or 8 years ago, and I'll never forget it because she was a very posh lady and in her very haughty voice she declared "I have been having treatments since before you were born and I've never had to fill in a card", to which I said "well, I'm not going to comment on the professionalism of the types of places you must have been to before, but if you don't fill in the form I'm not carrying out the treatment". She went very quiet, filled in the form and ended up being a good regular client for a few years!

I have only had one lady who said " why should I fill it in ?" But when I told her I need to know if you have allergies, or weird things, she laughed and filled it in.

But I had a lady in this week who filled the form in, but didn't sign the declaration, and she is a lawyer :eek: so I didn't know what to say, so I left it, as it was a gel overlay she was having, not extensions, but she was lovely, and she's 're booked, so maybe I will bet her to sign it when she returns.

I have only had one lady who said " why should I fill it in ?" But when I told her I need to know if you have allergies, or weird things, she laughed and filled it in.

But I had a lady in this week who filled the form in, but didn't sign the declaration, and she is a lawyer :eek: so I didn't know what to say, so I left it, as it was a gel overlay she was having, not extensions, but she was lovely, and she's 're booked, so maybe I will bet her to sign it when she returns.

ha ha W1inne......made me think of something you said recently "being the Vicar's wife"..you better pray to God nothing goes wrong ha ha

Aside from the fact she may sometimes be "obnoxious", did you consider that she may be illiterate?

I know it seems very weird for those of us that can read/write, but I believe it is something that should always be considered when asking clients to complete records. For that reason, I would never just leave a consultation/record card with a client, I go through it with them and complete it on their behalf, asking for their signature at the bottom.

Social standing/appearance/wealth/accent/attitude etc.... is irrelevant - my ex hubby managed to run 5 very successful businesses, but struggled to even complete a chequebook or read a menu!

This post is NOT meant to offend anyone,but just to bring awareness xxx

No consultation card, no treatment, it's part and parcel of my insurance conditions

Never really understood why people have to be difficult for the sake of it :irked:

ETA - So do the hairdressers not have a consultation/record card for her?

I think she just enjoys being difficult...she's so rude to the receptionist too, it's unreal.

I really have no idea if they do for this particular client, she's very pally with her stylist and I know that she's been coming to the salon for years and is registered on their salon system, so they must've done one at some point.

I fill my clients consultation cards out, then go through it with them and they sign and date. Much easier some people cannot be bothered to fill one out!

I usually do this too, but I was between clients and she was waiting for her colour to develop, so I thought this might save time etc.

I always do mine face to face, filling it in myself, and then get them to read and sign. That way I'm always sure everything gets answered!

Probably not relevant but when I used to work for h&m I served a soap star and because she returned something I asked her to fill out her details on the return slip but she refused! I told her why we required it and told her we only needed her postcode so she wrote that. She wasn't that famous!!

Probably not relevant but when I used to work for h&m I served a soap star and because she returned something I asked her to fill out her details on the return slip but she refused! I told her why we required it and told her we only needed her postcode so she wrote that. She wasn't that famous!!

Funny you should say that, as this particular client is a singer too! I've never heard of her!

Even my well known ladies have the courtesy to fill out my consultation cards though.

Being dyslexic I struggle to fill out forms, or anything that requires the writing to be legible and spelt properly. However I am honest with people and they normally will do it for me and are understanding.

When I was growing I was so embarrassed about my dyslexia I would refuse to fill out forms etc or ask for help

Thank god for laptops and spell check otherwise I'd never got my degree!

Last edited:
Being dyslexic I struggle to fill out forms, or anything that requires the writing to be legible and spelt properly. However I am honest with people and they normally will do it for me and are understanding.

When I was growing I was so embarrassed about my dyslexia I would refuse to fill out forms etc or ask for help

Thank god for laptops and spell check otherwise I'd never got my degree!

Snap I'm dyslexic too. I would explain this but unfortunately I have never ever been asked to fill in a consultation card before any service I have had. And I used to regularly got told in my salon "no one else makes me fill these in" xx It makes you wonder x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've had the same problem before now where a client point blank refused and after I said well I'm afraid I won't be able to carry out the treatment she huffed and it actually turned out that the client had some serious illnesses but she didn't want to write it all down due to embarrassment however now she's a regular and lovely. Weird how some people react thank goodness I did stick to my guns imagine if I hadn't a can of whoooo ass could've erupted :(

The only reason I can think that someone wouldn't do one is if they cant trad or write. I would of just verbally asked the questions and filled it in or refused to do the treatment

Defiantly wouldn't do the treatment too many risks! Would fill it out myself and ask her the questions, build a relationship with them! X

Latest posts

Back