Client's Shellac lifting on nails-please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailcandymk

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I did a clients nails last night. In the past her shellac hasn't lasted very long before they all lifted off. I did lots of research on lifting and decided it must be a prob with my pep. But she does have very soft nails and they have been damaged by gel removal in the past. Anyway, this time I made sure that my pep was very thorough. Used cuticle away, used a curette, de activated the cuticle away with a small pump of scentsations mixed with water in a spray bottle. I scrub freshed thoroughly. I used nail fresh, then scrub freshed again. And then I applied the brisa lite smoothing gel base coat, 1 thin layer of brisa lite smoothing gel, 2 colour coats of shellac. She wanted additives and glitter so I applied those, and then used the shellac top coat. And this is the pic she sent me this morning ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1422184577.810324.jpg

She said her other nails seem ok for now, but I just know she's going to contact me later on saying they have all lifted off as well.

I honestly cannot see what I am doing wrong! I only have one other client like this but she has even weaker nails and creams her hands constantly throughout the day and washes dishes without using gloves, so I think the lifting in that case is down to her lack of after care.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hello :)

It could be certainly be down to how she uses her hands and nails; but it could also be her soft nails that you mentioned.... One, the other, or a bit of both!

Have you tried IBX before? If not have a research (there's a mass of a thread on it on here!) and try it! I couldn't recommend it highly enough! It penetrates the nail plate reinforcing the strength of the nail from within.

My nails were very similar to what you described your clients are like. I would use both CND Brisa Smoothing Gel and Shellac and still had a problem with lifting! :-/ Admittedly, I use my hands a LOT and can tend to be heavy handed, but I started using the IBX and it really has transformed the strength of my nails! I seriously didn't think I could ever have natural nails as strong and healthy looking as they are! I started with a two week cycle for around six weeks, now I just top up with it once a month....

It's well worth adding to your treatment list!!!

Also, using a good cuticle oil regularly on the nails instead of hand cream will minimise lifting... Hand cream is for hands! Not nails! :)

Hope this helps
Nat x

I have the same problem with one of my customer. But her nails are fine for first 10 days and than they start lifting. I spoke to CND ambassador and that's what she texted me :

Winter is a very dry and dehydrating month and sometimes nails that are hydrated can cause this. But you said she uses solar oil all the time..? if you are quite sure that you are not doing anything different than what you usually do, then it must be something that she is doing herself. A lot of times, medication can cause problems - is she taking any new medication? Or maybe diet..? Has she changed her diet...? Most of the times when you ask clients, they usually tell you no straight away, but then a lot of times, they do it without even thinking about it.

I have tried gel ll on my customer last time she had an appointment and now waiting for her to let me know how she gets on.
And I also tried CND gel overlay with gel ll on customer who can't keep her shellac on for more than 3 days due to work ( she wears gloves and constantly uses water) And she texted me last night saying they were all fine ! Xx

Thank u so much lovely ladies! I have spoken to her and she said another one has come off. She did tell me that she has been diagnosed as severely deficient in vitamin d which could be why her nails are weak and split quite easily. Hopefully they will improve with the boosters she will be getting. I will look into IBX as well but thanks for Ur advice and for taking the time to reply

It will be her nails. My nails are really flexible & my Shellac lifts within 24 hours

Latest posts

Back