Clients stealing from the salon, what would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrysalis

Reaction score
Hi,
This has happened a couple of times to myself, stealing complimentary perfume out of the toilet, (Lidls best!) a bottle of shellac, waiting room magazines, one lady came, no appointment with a tartan trolley filled her trolley and left, I was gobsmacked! She came back a week later, I watched her like a hawk and told her that I bought the magazines for clients to read while they were waiting and the library was down the road if she wanted to go there as she could not take this weeks magazines, never saw her again!

Now without being able to prove which client did it, only strong suspicions, what would you do?

Regarding the cheap perfume in loo, I laughed that one off, the shellac I started locking away, I have CCTV too! But it didn't cover that area. I now work alone so I know it's not staff, that would be dismissal.

I've had dead locks put on my other room and have a no children policy etc, anyone have any other stories or management ideas?

Oh and my retail cabinets have locks on them now.

We had perfume stolen from our toilet also! Cheek! We didn't notice for a few days but were taken by surprise didn't think anyone would do that! How wrong we were!

One of my clients stole a Gelish, then brought it back when she realised it wouldn't dry by itself lol! I think you're taking all reasonable precautions. You don't want your clients to feel under suspicion the minute they walk through the door. Unfortunately not everyone is trustworthy these days.

She brought it back??? Did she apologise? The cheek of some people! Hope she didn't ask for an exchange??

That's so sad; such a shame. It does sound like you're doing everything to avoid future instances. Like Sam81 says, you can't make it too obvious.

I work alone also so rely quite a lot on trust & honesty and like to think I have a close rapport with clients and it is upsetting when you realise you can't trust them all.

Someone recently took my brand new (= full = very expensive) bottle of facial massage oil from my trolley recently. I didn't realise until a day later and I was dumbstruck.

Like you say, what can you do? All I could think of was to make a note of all people who'd been into the room between me using the oil and noticing it wasn't there and I now make an excuse to pop into the room as they come out and do a quick check to make sure my trolley is in order.

Terrible that you have to watch people like that, although it's only the one incident in seven years that I'm aware of so I guess I can't complain.

Mind, my biggest bugbear is when they open brand new bottles off the shelves when you're not looking. Why do people have to open a bottle and have a sniff even when they're not remotely interested in the product?

Kx

I had a brand new 250ml bottle of masque taken off the trolley once. We know exactly who it was but couldn't prove it as such. She still comes to the salon and I almost want to refuse her but she actually spends a lot of money we just never leave her side. I wheel the trolley out of the room as I'm leaving now as if I'm clearing it all away.

Jemima :)

She brought it back??? Did she apologise? The cheek of some people! Hope she didn't ask for an exchange??

We knew who it was, she came for some Gelish toes after it went missing and started asking questions about needing the lamp etc. to 'dry' it, then her little girl piped up 'oh that's why it didn't go dry then mummy'. I think she realised we were on to her then and was quite rightly embarrassed! She made up some excuse about one of the kids having hidden it in her handbag. I'm glad I didn't rush to replace it!

I had a lady come for a set of lash extensions - said she was another therapist who had just started lashing and would love some hints and tips. She lived far enough away not to be competition.

I did her a lovely set, I shared my knowledge and tips ( enough for a beginner ) which I'm more than happy to do.

I left the room to grab my diary to book her back in.

Next day I noticed that 2 of my lash trays were missing!!!!!
I thought I was going mad as id only ordered a few days back.

Funnily enough she cancelled the two apps she had booked cos she was far too busy to be able to get to me again.

Too bloody busy using my lash trays probably!!!

However I actually found this quite funny and sad at same time ( I've not lost too much sleep over it lol)

I only get things out of my desk drawers or cupboards as I need them. When I finish using items I place them back in the drawer.

I had a girl at my desk, doing her nails and her friend was all over the place, looking at this, looking at that. The next thing she was in my polish case taking them all out. She must have thought I was blind! I actually saw her put one in her handbag!!! After she put the others back into my polish case I just reminded her about the one which had "fallen" into her handbag. She blushed, as did her friend at my desk. She made her excuses and said she would meet her friend in Morrisons later.

The girl at my desk apologised for her and said that she was so ditsy she is going to get herself in trouble one day. Don't they know I have eyes in the back of my head too!

It's shocking how bad they can be. My husband is a police officer and said if enough suspicion was on a client they would do a house search even for gel polish.

I get so annoyed, business is difficult enough without clients stealing.

Does anyone put it through thier books as a loss?

I only get things out of my desk drawers or cupboards as I need them. When I finish using items I place them back in the drawer.

I had a girl at my desk, doing her nails and her friend was all over the place, looking at this, looking at that. The next thing she was in my polish case taking them all out. She must have thought I was blind! I actually saw her put one in her handbag!!! After she put the others back into my polish case I just reminded her about the one which had "fallen" into her handbag. She blushed, as did her friend at my desk. She made her excuses and said she would meet her friend in Morrisons later.

The girl at my desk apologised for her and said that she was so ditsy she is going to get herself in trouble one day. Don't they know I have eyes in the back of my head too!

Just unbelievable!

One of my clients stole a Gelish, then brought it back when she realised it wouldn't dry by itself lol! I think you're taking all reasonable precautions. You don't want your clients to feel under suspicion the minute they walk through the door. Unfortunately not everyone is trustworthy these days.

I would of asked her to pay for it regardless wether she returned it or not theft is theft which ever way you look at it.

On her returning it I would of said to her ' as its been take out of the premises there is now a risk of it maybe being used and possible contamination may of accrued, I hope you understand I can now not reuse it on other clients for hygiene reasons'

I hope you understand this and that I will have to charge you £xx amount for the bottle, and which you are now more than welcome to keep it once you've paid:)

in a salon that i used to work in we had cctv and a locked display cabinet however we had one of our Espa Christmas gift boxes on display at reception, i had a regular client in for waxing etc she kept asking where the best place was to get scented candles i told her about a little shop down the road who sold Yankee etc so after treatment went to reception she gave me a cheque then left, 20mins later whilst cleaning reception i noticed a candle missing from the Espa gift set, i watched the cctv back and saw the waxing client slip in into her bag, when my boss came in i showed her to which she then rang this girls parents (client was about late teens early 20s) mother appologised gave the candle back and blamed her daughters anorexia and bulimia as the reason why she stole......:eek:

in a salon that i used to work in we had cctv and a locked display cabinet however we had one of our Espa Christmas gift boxes on display at reception, i had a regular client in for waxing etc she kept asking where the best place was to get scented candles i told her about a little shop down the road who sold Yankee etc so after treatment went to reception she gave me a cheque then left, 20mins later whilst cleaning reception i noticed a candle missing from the Espa gift set, i watched the cctv back and saw the waxing client slip in into her bag, when my boss came in i showed her to which she then rang this girls parents (client was about late teens early 20s) mother appologised gave the candle back and blamed her daughters anorexia and bulimia as the reason why she stole......:eek:

CCTV is a necessity these days. I wouldn't be without it.

It's shocking how bad they can be. My husband is a police officer and said if enough suspicion was on a client they would do a house search even for gel polish.

I get so annoyed, business is difficult enough without clients stealing.

Does anyone put it through thier books as a loss?

Oh i didn't think about that and i had a few things go walkies.
Ive had someone before kept sending me through to my kitchen to fetch things for her like water, (i have only hot drinks beside me) when i came back something was always missing, but what could i say? no, the taps not working, i just had to get it. then i started having a jug nearby,which ive never even had to use since
having said that im sure more than one person sent me for water, im sure they weren't all up to something

Last edited:
I have bottled water and a fresh tea pot for each client when they come to me so nothing goes walkies

It's so frustrating when someone who is a client comes into your place of business and steals!

This morning a client came in for a wax, as soon as she left we noticed our music cd from the beauty room is missing!

The cheek of some people! Of course there's no way for us to prove it's her except she's the first client to walk in the room since we put the music on this morning!

I cannot believe people have the nerve to steal from salons who are doing them a service! We have had a few people call/visit and say they bought a product from us but left it on the front desk after they paid. It's especially older ladies it seems, so whether they just have terrible memory I don't know. Maybe they actually think that they have bought it. The thing is, that if we say no you didn't buy it, we're accusing them of lying and risking losing custom in the future (which could cost us more than the product they're trying to get free!).

It's a really tricky one.

If it's a recurring thing I would definitely report it or let them know you know...

You shouldn't have to make sure every product is away every time you turn your back!! Honestly, who are these people??!

Latest posts

Back