Clients stories affecting your life

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabby

Reaction score
Hi

I've been doing my job years and years, I'm slightly fed up of hearing negative stories.

Does anyone agree with the title?- I find that most of my clients lives end up the same way- mainly to do with their relationships. I find that everyone talks about so many bad stories thats happened to them and just feel my life will end up the same way.

I no what I said isn't true but I can't help relating what I do to everything I hear.

Does anyone feel the same?

No I actually enjoy the drama!
There's nothing to say your life will end up the same way. You are incharge of your own destiny and if anything you can learn from their mistakes!
Chin up xx

I always tell my clients I don't bother watching the soaps because their dramas beat anything on telly hands down lol

Seriously though, I find clients fall into two camps, the ones who are complete drama queens and have something new and traumatic every appointment to tell me, and the ones who are so busy going on holiday/seeing shows & films/having parties/jetting round the world with their jobs that when they ask me what I've been doing lately I actually am tempted to make things up sometimes because my stable mundane little life cannot hold a candle to theirs! But I know whose life I would choose. :D

I hate hearing the health problems. Sounds harsh but some clients have been moaning for years about their health and it has now become rather boring. I'm not talking serious health issues, as that would be cruel but the moany ones that go on and on about minor ailments. I couldn't give a hoot about a lump on their elbow or mouth ulcers.

So many times I feel like saying "there's a lot worse off than you". But I think I'd end up losing clients. :o

Lol love this!! Mine is the health problems almost every client!

I have do many clients that make up completely outrageous stories... You think they can't be true!!!

Health problems is a big one and so is relationships. Do they just wait till they see you to tell you every single thing wrong in their relationships. Your husband was a cheating ass this week too? Grr makes me annoyed just dump him already!

I always tell my clients I don't bother watching the soaps because their dramas beat anything on telly hands down lol

Seriously though, I find clients fall into two camps, the ones who are complete drama queens and have something new and traumatic every appointment to tell me, and the ones who are so busy going on holiday/seeing shows & films/having parties/jetting round the world with their jobs that when they ask me what I've been doing lately I actually am tempted to make things up sometimes because my stable mundane little life cannot hold a candle to theirs! But I know whose life I would choose. :D

Love the first line lol

You shouldn't let it get you down, they are the only ones who can change it, most people just like to moan about it x

This reminds me of my friend (works mobile) she actually had alot of this, hearing peoples deaths in the family, abuse, money troubles and health problems. She used to help them out and really get involved with every one of them as she knew them for years. In the end she was doing deeds for people left right and centre and she ran herself ragged. Emotionally she was a wreck, so she ended up having to detatch herself from them abit and just change the subject to happier things in the end. It worked, i think some of them used her for a good old moan lol!

to be honest.. lol anyones health problems give me anxiety lol.. sounds bad but the worse it is.. the less i wana hear about it ... it scares me lol

I think its part of the job,
Some of the stories ive heard over the past couple of years have had me in stitches, tears, and angry.. its sometimes a little weird how deep their stories get and how much they are willing to actually tell you, a complete stranger that basically just does their treatments/hair etc every other week.

I have to say though, If it want for these stories, how boring would days be?
it would be full of typical 'how are you, hows your day been, been busy, going on holiday this year, doing anything at the weekend'
I couldnt handle these same questions from every body i see, every single day :( haha x

Oh I get told all sorts, sometimes I really don't want to know and other times it's interesting lol. The phrase you learn something new everyday certainly does apply in this job.

I don't give advice, I don't talk politics, religion or about local businesses (apart from local nss haha) as i don't want to offend anyone or be seen as bitchy. Sometimes I get bites of same old stories or bull**** but I just smile and carry on.

Oh bless, yes I belive we are the cheap alternative to Psychotherapy. LOL I saw a girl the other day for the very first time and after doing her nails and a spray tan I knew that she had been a glamour model, didn't get on with her family, had health issues(too many to mention) had been declared bankrupt, had moved to Norwich recently, what work her partner does, where her kids go to school, she had done a nail course tried to go mobile, couldn't make it work and sold her kit to a friend who was starting out, was trying get info out of me about spray tanning training and cost of kit,how old she is, lost her licence, etc etc etc.

Too much info my lovely but she was a bit depressed and stuck at home as a housewife and new to the area so I think she really just needed to offload on someone.

Put on your happy face, nod and smile and count your blessings.

In the old days hairdressers were the unofficial emotional outlet but now I think it is all of us, especially if we are doing a few treatments or a treatment that takes a while.

Feel grateful that they trust you enough to bare their souls to you.

well i have a lovely heart warming story for you all.
today i had a lady in for shellac haven't had her in since november 2011.
lovely lady . she was widowed suddenly 4 years ago and had been struggling with depression, feeling lost and a whole mixed bag of emotions.
so she was in with me today to have her nails done because she's getting married!!
she met her best friends brother at a party last year, he was recently widowed too. they chatted , kept in touch and fell in love.
such a lovely story and she is such a lovely person . i am delighted for her.
for the both of them...
made me feel all warm and fuzzy all day .

I think you have to accept its all part of the job.We have to be counsellors too.I do get fed up with some people who just continually moan about every aspect of their lives when they have no real troubles but the people that do have genuine problems if it helps to talk about things and I can help by listening then I'm happy I can do that.
As for thinking you may end up the same then you may if you make too many wrong choices in life but you can also learn from their mistakes.Its a waste of your life to worry too much about a future you can't control.

I find hearing other people's woes makes me feel better. That sounds awful but it isn't really. I feel better because my issues don't seem so bad compared to theirs, I've let them unload and get it out. Sometimes there is no one else they can talk too.

Talking about clients telling you too much!!! - omg I sometimes hear way way too much of people's bedroom life!- I cringe! I could never tell people or someone that I've never met before personal stuff. Yes u are right tho- it can be funny at times tho

well i have a lovely heart warming story for you all.
today i had a lady in for shellac haven't had her in since november 2011.
lovely lady . she was widowed suddenly 4 years ago and had been struggling with depression, feeling lost and a whole mixed bag of emotions.
so she was in with me today to have her nails done because she's getting married!!
she met her best friends brother at a party last year, he was recently widowed too. they chatted , kept in touch and fell in love.
such a lovely story and she is such a lovely person . i am delighted for her.
for the both of them...
made me feel all warm and fuzzy all day .
Aww bless that's lovely!

Hehe this is why i love my job - im only massage and people tend to hush up during a treatment whether its deep tissue or just a swedish relaxing treatment! i get the odd one who will talk all the way through which i think can be nice because most of the time my sessions are queit! in my previous job i was a social care worker with homeless people and you get sick of hearing the stories of woe so i can definately empathise you feel like telling them to stop complaining and do something about it! but you can't obv as a professional.

Totally agree with the other geeks, this is the bit I love the most about my job, I have met so many interesting people, with amazing stories and really how blessed are we that they feel comfortable enough with us to tell us things that I know that they sometimes havent even told their friends and family. I have a client who comes in for waxing and generally moans and gripes about her life the whole way through...I always get her laughing and generally send her away happier than when she came in, this last time she said to me "oh I am so sorry I always come in and moan but I really dont have any friends in the area...actually go on its your turn to have a moan now!" when I pointed out that I really didnt have anything to moan about she said "wow lucky you" I have lots of clients that have lost partners/dont speak to family/are lonely, and to be honest the ones that moan are few and far between. I think that I am basically incredibly nosey!!!!!!! But I never tire of hearing my clients stories..good and bad.
xxxx

Latest posts

Back