Clients with short nail plates and enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonU

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've done a search but nothing has really come up with what I am looking for...

I did a client's nails yesterday and the nail plates were very short and her nails were quite square. So. She wanted l&p, so I did them and they were nice and thin and looked good but then when I painted them with gelish they ended up looking very short and boxy. She wanted squoval which I did do, but I think looking back I should have recommended a more rounded shape. What do you, yourself, do in these instances? She didn't want them long so that wasn't an option. Should I have rounded them more?

I'm not happy with the job done and almost want to call her and ask whether or not she wants maybe a repaint with a darker colour or if she wants me to file them into a rounded shape but I also don't want to say anything in case she in fact is happy with them. I just hate when my work doesn't look as good as it should.

I think if you did an almond shaped nail..it appears to elongate the nail..an illusion type thing.

You can't do it now but there is a enhancement technique CND has that involves putting a thin line of product vertically down the centre of the nail that also is an elongating illusion. (Illusion sculpting).

Not sure what else to suggest to be honest =/

I think if you did an almond shaped nail..it appears to elongate the nail..an illusion type thing.

You can't do it now but there is a enhancement technique CND has that involves putting a thin line of product vertically down the centre of the nail that also is an elongating illusion. (Illusion sculpting).

Not sure what else to suggest to be honest =/

I agree with this. The funny thing is this time last year (could have literally been today) was my first year as a nail tech and I had a new client in who had never had enhancements before.

I applied everything and filed them for her. She asked me to paint them for her and that was when I realised they looked like stubby cubes on her nails. I am literally not joking you I charged her less and could have cried when she left. I considered contacting her to get her to come back for me to redo but decided I'd probably lost her. I nearly fell off my chair when a few weeks later she texted to book in again!!

After a long time thinking about it her nails beds are probably as wide as they are long and when she came back they'd grown out enough for me to infill and shape them into a more pointed almond shape. They look so much better now - she's a regular and I was with her yesterday!!

I have no doubt that her nails will look far better than when she came into you. Do what I did and log it as experience of what to do in future :)

x

I agree that a rounded shape would be better but she doesn't want it. I contacted her and she loves them and is booked in for 2 weeks so I guess I worried for nothing. Lol. But thank you for the advice.

I agree that a rounded shape would be better but she doesn't want it. I contacted her and she loves them and is booked in for 2 weeks so I guess I worried for nothing. Lol. But thank you for the advice.

Ha! It's a relief that you've worried for nothing isn't it? Maybe when she next comes to you that will look better with the growth and even themselves out (if you get what I mean)

The only problem I have is my clients nails look better longer but if I let them get too long they ping off too easily so I have to keep an eye on the length at each appointment

x

I totally know what you mean! I have quite long nail plates so I can keep my enhancements fairly short but have them look long still and I love that. So I have to always remember that everyone's nails are different. She was happy and loved her longer nails so I have to just accept that they're not going to look super slim and long. I think they were cute though. She has very cute fingers. Lol.

Latest posts

Back