Clipper adjustments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukas K

Reaction score
Okay so I want to up my game with some of my men's cuts. Fades in particular. And I'm just wondering if I was taught how to use them properly in the first place.
I use Wahl clippers and I was told that if you open or close the adjustment on the side that it makes it a 1/2 size longer. For example a #1 guard with the clipper adjuster thing down would be a #1.5?
Is this even right?
I watch tutorials and its getting confusing cause the different clipper companies have like different attachments like 000 etc. And I have a barber friend who explained that the opening and closing of the clippers is something different entirely.
I usually "get" things pretty quick but I am getting confused cause I've been doing it one way for 11 years and I can't wrap my head around it.
Most of my men's cuts are pretty standard but I want to expand my knowledge with fading as well as this wasn't covered in school or asked for much in the past and its gotten pretty popular.
If anyone has some knowledge how to properly explain the clipper adjustments and using them for fades that would be awesome!

Yes open blades is basically a 0.5 so you add the 0.5 to whatever guard you have on when the blades are open.
I tend to blend a 0 on open blade first then take it right down to a skin fade with a 0.

That's the same as I was taught

Thanks for the replies!
Yeah that's what I was taught!
I usually start with higher guards and work lower.
But what's confusing is like some clipper companies have detachable blades and even 000 clippers and I noticed on YT tutorials and when my barber friend cut my hair she would start at the shortest part, the bald 0 part, and put in all the guides, and then go in between them and erase all the lines. But like osters and Andis clippers are different and I'm getting confused the more things i watch. There's day classes about fades so I might take that one of these days to upgrade my skill cause I noticed the way I was doing it before doesn't look as good as some of the YT tutorials

Latest posts

Back