Close salon on Tuesdays, your thoughts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

souz

Reaction score
Ok so my salon has been open 7 months or so now and tuesdays are dead whereas the rest of the week is manic!! I could fill weds to sat twice over but struggle with tuesdays so im wondering whether to close on a tuesday and extend opening hours the other days? Im not on a high street so dont get walk ins, everyone is pre booked or walk in to book for another day....ive offered to clients to open mondays and close tuesdays and there response was they were happy with days open.

By september i am hoping to have extra staff weds to sat so wont be turning people away on those days

Yes close Tuesdays and work longer hours the rest of the week xx

Jacqui x

Thanks jacuileanna,

What sort of hours is everyone else open and do you find you have dead days too?? I cant believe that i can literally fill weds to sat over and over but tuesdays are so dead

Where I work we could fill fri & sat over and over, months in advance, but Sundays are absolutely dead! So now the salon will be closed on a Sunday.
(Yey, more family time for me and other staff)

You can always open again if you start getting bookings

Laura xx

Im thinking i could advertise that tuesdays are closed but availabke for appt only?

It just seems mad that im only open a few hours on a tues 10-2 and that im finding things to do to fill my time! The ocassional tues is ok but in general its dead....

Makes sense to close it that day & use the day recharging your own batteries ;)

Thanks sleeping beauty x

Ok so my salon has been open 7 months or so now and tuesdays are dead whereas the rest of the week is manic!! I could fill weds to sat twice over but struggle with tuesdays so im wondering whether to close on a tuesday and extend opening hours the other days? Im not on a high street so dont get walk ins, everyone is pre booked or walk in to book for another day....ive offered to clients to open mondays and close tuesdays and there response was they were happy with days open.

By september i am hoping to have extra staff weds to sat so wont be turning people away on those days

I'm closed Tuesdays and I find its perfect. I couldn't fill them up if I wanted too so it gives me extra time at home etc.

Thanks jen.....im going to give it a go x

About two months ago one of my therapists had child care problems so I took the opportunity to stop working on a Tuesday in order to allow my therapist to work that day instead.

It had been on of my few ambitions to work four days a week since I first started out in business. I would never have actually done it had this child care situation not come about.

My therapist is nice and busy on her Tuesdays and I work from 8-8 Wednesday Thursday and Friday and 9-5 on a Saturday.

Sometimes I even start at 7.00am - I have always worked long hours but now it doesn't bother me so much as I have three days off :cool:

My first Tuesday off I honestly did not know what to do with myself :rolleyes:

Do it and take some time for yourself while you can. xxx

I close on a Wednesday and work longer hours the other days! Tuesday and Wednesdays are my quiet days!

About two months ago one of my therapists had child care problems so I took the opportunity to stop working on a Tuesday in order to allow my therapist to work that day instead.

It had been on of my few ambitions to work four days a week since I first started out in business. I would never have actually done it had this child care situation not come about.

My therapist is nice and busy on her Tuesdays and I work from 8-8 Wednesday Thursday and Friday and 9-5 on a Saturday.

Sometimes I even start at 7.00am - I have always worked long hours but now it doesn't bother me so much as I have three days off :cool:

My first Tuesday off I honestly did not know what to do with myself :rolleyes:

Do it and take some time for yourself while you can. xxx

Thank you, i appreciate you taking the time to reply like that.....wow you do work long hours....i couldnt start that early, im really not good in the mornings!!especially at that time......

Im looking forward to having tuesdays off in so many ways, dont know why i didnt think of it sooner...x

I've played around with my hours as well recently and have now seemed to found the ideal working week:
Wednesday 10am-8pm
Thursday 10am-8pm
Friday 10-6pm
Saturday 9.30-1.30

I love finishing at lunchtime on Saturdays knowing I don't have to work until Wednesday! It hasn't made any difference to my income at all!

I've played around with my hours as well recently and have now seemed to found the ideal working week:
Wednesday 10am-8pm
Thursday 10am-8pm
Friday 10-6pm
Saturday 9.30-1.30

I love finishing at lunchtime on Saturdays knowing I don't have to work until Wednesday! It hasn't made any difference to my income at all!

Sounds fab, i definitely think there needs to be a balance it has to work for us a well as clients within reason.x

I could also fill weds to sat several times over. Monday and Tuesday are quieter so I open one Monday, one Tuesday, 3 Saturdays and every weds, thurs and Friday each month. Usual working hours are 9 till 7 or 10 till 8. So glad you're doing so well xx

Thanks redduck

Thats interesting you say you do one monday one tuesday, never thought about that!!

Im going to go with weds to sat for now opening slightly longer hours and in a few weeks there should be two of us at any time doing those hours too....will just see how it goes!!x

My daughter does Monday alone, I do Tuesday alone, both 9 to 6. We both start at 9 on Wednesday but I finish at 1.30 and she goes through till 8. On a Thursday she finishes at 4 and I do til 8 and Friday we both do til 8 and Saturday we both do 10 to 6. Her Mondays are generally busy, my Tuesdays are busy. Wednesday morning is busy but her Wednesday afternoon is only just picking up. Thursday, Friday and Saturday are usually pretty full for us both.
The only advantage to having the odd quiet day is being able to offer clients an alternative. We have just done quite a lot of advertising and have got really busy so we can fill Wednesday afternoons and odd gaps. When a client tries to book I always start with the beginning of the week, so try and get them in on Mondays, then Tuesdays and so on. This obviously then means as the week progresses the end of the week can get booked - if that makes sense.
If we are shut for the weekend because we would rather have a knees up than work, I regularly check the phone or redirect calls and check the online booking system as clients want to know if they can get an appointment or not and I deal with them regardless of the day so will reply to texts, emails etc when I get them but not at 3 in the morning!
I rang a salon for a hair appointment for my daughter for a Wednesday. Rang on the Monday morning and they were shut so left a message. They called me about 2.00 on the Tuesday afternoon which I felt was cutting it a bit fine. I think bookings need to be dealt with quickly.

We were visiting Leeds uni for my daughter when I got an email on a Sunday for a voucher. I replied immediately from my hotel bed and arranged for it to be collected on the Thursday. The lady who came wasn't a client, she goes elsewhere for treatments but said her therapist can be quite hard to get hold of. Says it all really!

Vic x

My daughter does Monday alone, I do Tuesday alone, both 9 to 6. We both start at 9 on Wednesday but I finish at 1.30 and she goes through till 8. On a Thursday she finishes at 4 and I do til 8 and Friday we both do til 8 and Saturday we both do 10 to 6. Her Mondays are generally busy, my Tuesdays are busy. Wednesday morning is busy but her Wednesday afternoon is only just picking up. Thursday, Friday and Saturday are usually pretty full for us both.
The only advantage to having the odd quiet day is being able to offer clients an alternative. We have just done quite a lot of advertising and have got really busy so we can fill Wednesday afternoons and odd gaps. When a client tries to book I always start with the beginning of the week, so try and get them in on Mondays, then Tuesdays and so on. This obviously then means as the week progresses the end of the week can get booked - if that makes sense.
If we are shut for the weekend because we would rather have a knees up than work, I regularly check the phone or redirect calls and check the online booking system as clients want to know if they can get an appointment or not and I deal with them regardless of the day so will reply to texts, emails etc when I get them but not at 3 in the morning!
I rang a salon for a hair appointment for my daughter for a Wednesday. Rang on the Monday morning and they were shut so left a message. They called me about 2.00 on the Tuesday afternoon which I felt was cutting it a bit fine. I think bookings need to be dealt with quickly.

We were visiting Leeds uni for my daughter when I got an email on a Sunday for a voucher. I replied immediately from my hotel bed and arranged for it to be collected on the Thursday. The lady who came wasn't a client, she goes elsewhere for treatments but said her therapist can be quite hard to get hold of. Says it all really!

Vic x

Thanks vicky,

Im always available on facebook to make bookings all hours of the day and night!! Ive tried to get people to book on tuesdays and even offered mondays but no one wants it, they all want weds to sat!! Maybe as time goes on ill get busier and open on a tuesday but for now think weds to sat will be enough....i had a client in earlier wanting an eb wax and ive struggled to fit her in this week, there are literally no gaps even for that!!! Ive constantly got two clients here at a time snd phone is ringing like its xmas! And yet cant fill tues for love nor money!

Xx

Latest posts

Back