CND Brisa Tip & O/Lay - "pinged off" !! WHY ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jex

Reaction score
Hi
I'm really very frustrated:mad: !
I only completed my Brisa conversion in September, but am baffled as 2 friends I have done a tip & overlay on have told me that the nails "just pinged off"
Now i find this strange as I have applied the same to myself, in the same way and mine have been on for 2 weeks, I have some lifting in zone 3 on a few but apart from that they are very secure and look lovely.
The first lady had short but not bitten nails, so sufficient free edge. I used CND Performance tips, blended very slightly at sidewalls as shown in my tranining, clear gel and white paint for tips, the gel gloss topcaoat . I admit that i may not have built enough apex with this one and fear this may be the problem ?
The second lady had very short nails - a biter. Also very tiny nail bed. I used CND velocity, and had to cut the ears on even the smallest size tip, blend slightly, clear and white sculpting gel, i made sure i built enough apex, then top coat gel.
Both tell me the gel stays in place - its just the tips that "fell off"

My prep is as follows:
Wash, Cool Blue
Cuticle Remover - (then removed with soapy water)
Scrubfresh
Buff nail plate gently to remove shine
Apply Brisa Gel Bond
Apply tip - glue on tip and f/e as shown intraining
Clear gel - working into nail plate - 2 mins cure
Clear - building in zone 2 - swipe to mark for smile line - 2 mins cure
white sculpting gel - 2 mins cure
Scrubfresh - Buff to perfect and smooth
Gel Gloss topcoat capping FE
Solar oil to finish

Where am I going wrong ?:rolleyes:
Thanks
Jen

Thanks
Jen

Believing your friends when they say they just fell off.

I pinged a nail tip off today - just the tip mind, not the rest of it, but boy did it hurt when I flicked it on the car door - nothing my nail technician (me) did wrong, just me being careless when opening the car LOL.

It takes time for people to get used to wearing nails, when they are not used to them.

If you are used to wearing flat shoes all the time and then decide to wear heels, is there not a bit of a learning curve and wobble to start off with.

Same goes for nails.

I used to worry when I was told that they had just pinged off. What had I done wrong? If you are confident in what you do, and you have most clients lasting 2-3 weeks, then these clients nails probably havent just pinged off.

The best thing to do in my experience is to have a good look at them.
If they lifted (poor prep) then the nail underneath will look lovely with no damage.
If the free edge has snapped off then look at the thickness of the gel left on the nail, this will tell you if your apex wasnt good enough.
If the natural nail looks damaged (white lines where layers of nail plate have come away) this is usually an indictaion of them being picked off, or a major accident when it has been ripped off.

Whatever you do, dont let it put you off. Learn from it. I have had clients where I didnt do a strong enough apex, and so I repaired the nail for free, others when they see you may confess to an accident or nibbling !!!

Nail biters with tiny nail beds can be devils for nibbling and picking and you can usually see the damage on the nails.

You said you have used the performance tips. Did you buff them all over before applying gel? I have found that the gel doesnt adhere to these tips if they arent buffed lightly.

nails don't just ping off on their own....they have to have been knocked first....however, saying that it might help if you built the stress area up a little more so that the nails can withhold a little knock.

I had a client the other day who came in with 6 missing nails - I do L&P. Asked her a few questions. What are you taking your nail varnish off with. Oh the stuff another salon sold me to soak my nails off!!!!!!!! Panic over for me. I am constantly knocking my own nails just due to not being careful.

Keep plugging away, you will build the confidence to not worry about it.

Good luck Mrs T.

Did you charge your friends for their nails,if they get free sets of nails, their likely to be more careless with them.:confused:

Hi
I'm really very frustrated:mad: !
I only completed my Brisa conversion in September, but am baffled as 2 friends I have done a tip & overlay on have told me that the nails "just pinged off"
Now i find this strange as I have applied the same to myself, in the same way and mine have been on for 2 weeks, I have some lifting in zone 3 on a few but apart from that they are very secure and look lovely.
The first lady had short but not bitten nails, so sufficient free edge. I used CND Performance tips, blended very slightly at sidewalls as shown in my tranining, clear gel and white paint for tips, the gel gloss topcaoat . I admit that i may not have built enough apex with this one and fear this may be the problem ?
The second lady had very short nails - a biter. Also very tiny nail bed. I used CND velocity, and had to cut the ears on even the smallest size tip, blend slightly, clear and white sculpting gel, i made sure i built enough apex, then top coat gel.
Both tell me the gel stays in place - its just the tips that "fell off"

My prep is as follows:
Wash, Cool Blue
Cuticle Remover - (then removed with soapy water)
Scrubfresh
Buff nail plate gently to remove shine
Apply Brisa Gel Bond
Apply tip - glue on tip and f/e as shown intraining
Clear gel - working into nail plate - 2 mins cure
Clear - building in zone 2 - swipe to mark for smile line - 2 mins cure
white sculpting gel - 2 mins cure
Scrubfresh - Buff to perfect and smooth
Gel Gloss topcoat capping FE
Solar oil to finish

Thanks
Jen

Hi Jen

I'm not Brisa trained just yet I use Creative L&P, I'm just looking at your Prep routine & thought I'd point out that if you are applying tips, then you should not scrubfresh before the tips are applied as it can reduce adhesion.

When you apply your tips you should scrubfresh after but making sure not to touch the tips with the scrubfresh as this can cause the tips to curl/melt.

I may be wrong so if someone more experienced than me could back me up (or not as the case maybe!).

It might not have anything to do with your clients tips 'pinging off' but it might be a possibility.

Hth's

Andrea x

I also thought you applied the tip and then applied the Brisa bond, making sure not to get it on the tip?

I also thought you applied the tip and then applied the Brisa bond, making sure not to get it on the tip?

yes your right min, brisa bond should be applied prior to base layer, and after tip application and scrub fresh, on 2-3 nails at a time and should be left to air dry (not touching skin or tip)

I tend to think that in this thread starter's situation as the clients have just lost the tips, it maybe that the clients enhancements were too long for them or/and she hasn't built enough apex to give strength xx

Two of my Brisa enhancements have "pinged" off at the tip. I know my nails aren't a good shape for gel, and confirmed this with Amanda Fontanarosa at the Event. However, I wanted to try a little experiment by putting some on myself to see what the longevity was.

I did my right hand (I'm right handed) I found it difficult not to file them too thinly. Being used to L+P, I find the gel like butter when I file! Looking at the two which "pinged" I also haven't built up the apex enough (or probably have actually filed most of it off) I also like to wear my nails quite long, which also doesn't help.

I'm very hard on my nails. I use them as tools, not jewels. I open boxes, slit packing tape with them, and punch through plastic to open bags. I carry lots of bags throughout the day and have to rummage around in the boot of my car for equipment I need for working with the children I teach. I didn't change the way I use my hands to take any account of the gel instead of L+P.

Now, I'm not surprised that 2 "pinged" off. I'm more surprised that I still have 3 others securely attached after more than a week. LOL

I hope you are understanding the way I am using the word "pinged". It is partly because of my mistakes in application (too thin, too long and little apex), partly because of my nail shape, but mostly down to the way I use my nails. Even without the mistakes I made I think I would probably have lost a couple of nails due to the demends placed on them by my use of them. In other words, it is down to the client's (me!) fault.

Thanks Guys. Hhm yes you're right Andrea about the Brisa Bond AFTER tips, my mistake there. I'll not be doing that again ! :)
I think my first clients nails were too long and i do indeed need to build a stronger apex at times.

Thinking about it though, both ladies said they "pinged off" when "puttin the hoover away" or "putting the baby in the carseat" "opening my wardrobe door i bashed it" so all in all and after your comments i perhaps don't feel so bad. Obviuosly I still need plenty of "perfect practise" as Geeg says, but at least i'm not too disheartened:lol:

Jen

Latest posts

Back