CND Shellac vs Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emsint

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a bit confused.

Is there a difference between SHELLAC & GELISH?

Which one is better?

Also I can get Gelish at my local suppliers but where can you get CND? Is it only at Sweet Squared?

Thanks so much. I am new at this and its a bit confusing!
M x

Last edited:
First of all welcome to Geek :) Secondly, all of these questions have been asked numerous times on here. Being the 2 most popular uv colour coats, there have been many people in a similar dilemma when they are new to it.

If you have a search on the site and type in your title into the search bar, tons of threads will come up that might help you. You may need to grab a cuppa and get comfy :wink2: (if on the SalonGeek app the search function is under the "more" tab)

It really comes down to personal preference and the type of clientele you have aswell. My clients want no damage whatsoever, so Shellac suits my business as I understand there is some buffing to do with Gelish and my clients just don't want this. Perhaps you should get each system done on yourself first to experiment and see which you prefer?

Sweet Squared are the main distributors for CND products but there are a few sub distributors as well.

Hope this helps a little but a search to bring up the countless threads on this might help you more :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

There are a few more steps with Gelish but I personally prefer it. Nicer colour selection and I feel it lasts longer than Shellac does.

You will get a mix of opinions on here because there are alot of Shellac fans on here as well as Gelish.

I offer both as a few of my clients prefer a few of the Shellac colours.

I suggest you get some gel polish training if you are unsure how they work.

I'm pretty sure S2 is the only UK distributor of Shellac, Gelish is easier to get hold of

There are a few more steps with Gelish but I personally prefer it. Nicer colour selection and I feel it lasts longer than Shellac does.

You will get a mix of opinions on here because there are alot of Shellac fans on here as well as Gelish.

I offer both as a few of my clients prefer a few of the Shellac colours.

I suggest you get some gel polish training if you are unsure how they work.

I'm pretty sure S2 is the only UK distributor of Shellac, Gelish is easier to get hold of

Thank you, that is the thing after trawling through comments on the forums I became more confused! I was about to enroll on a UV Gel Polish Course BUT now I am not sure that would be suitable for me to do Shellac as it seems to be somewhat different by what I read on the forums!

That is how I became more confused!

Thanks for your opinion & advice. Mx

I can't comment on Gelish as I have no experience with it, but I have been using Shellac for a while and had very good success with it and love working with the product.

It works very well for clients with nails in good condition but is not ideal for nails proned to chipping and pealing. It soaks off easily, it really does, and although the colour range is not as wide as some brands, it is constantly expanding and offers even more colour choices through the layering technique i.e. you can layer different colours to achieve a completely different shade.

As already mentioned, perhaps sample the two to help you make a more informed decision.

First of all welcome to Geek :) Secondly, all of these questions have been asked numerous times on here. Being the 2 most popular uv colour coats, there have been many people in a similar dilemma when they are new to it.

If you have a search on the site and type in your title into the search bar, tons of threads will come up that might help you. You may need to grab a cuppa and get comfy :wink2: (if on the SalonGeek app the search function is under the "more" tab)

It really comes down to personal preference and the type of clientele you have aswell. My clients want no damage whatsoever, so Shellac suits my business as I understand there is some buffing to do with Gelish and my clients just don't want this. Perhaps you should get each system done on yourself first to experiment and see which you prefer?

Sweet Squared are the main distributors for CND products but there are a few sub distributors as well.

Hope this helps a little but a search to bring up the countless threads on this might help you more :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi and thank you :) I feel welcome x

I am very proud of my own natural nails so I know exactly what you mean about the buffing!

I am hearing lots of good things about Shellac but is this still a UV Gel Polish? Is it still the same process?

I am wanting to enroll on a UV Gel Polish Course but unsure if with that I will know how to do Shellac?

I did look on the search and that is how I became confused! I thought Shellac was just another UV Gel Polish but with all the comments I read I am now all over the place!

Thank you for your advice

M x

Hi guys,

I am a bit confused.

Is there a difference between SHELLAC & GELISH?

Which one is better?

Also I can get Gelish at my local suppliers but where can you get CND? Is it only at Sweet Squared?

Thanks so much. I am new at this and its a bit confusing!
M x

CND shellac is the only power polish, gel polishes are pure gel whereas shellac is only a percentage. Gelish is a fabulous product, a gentle shine removal before application is not damaging if done correctly and once only. This is fairly common practise in nail enhancement treatments. The only area to have this at repeat treatments is the regrowth. the formula of the foundation is why Gelish seems to suit more clients and seems harder wearing, and it is less porous than shellac. Having said that shellac has less steps, longer cure time and is immensely well known and well renowned. And is super pretty!

They are different, both have strengths and weaknesses, try them out 😃 You would be best to train in whichever system you choose, I personally don't think you cAn replace that with generic training, they won't have been certified to educate about all the systems in the market (if any)

Have to agree with all the above posts, but felt I had to just put my opinion across as I was where you are now, a year ago! In fact I didn't even know what Gelish/shellac was! (And I am a level 3 beauty therapist and l & p technician 😮). Basically I searched all the forums, took everyone's opinions on board, had the different nail treatments, so I knew the difference and then chose Shellac. Why? To me it was simple, I wanted to have 1 brand that I felt would represent me and my business ethics ( my personal opinion). i wanted to be known to offer a top of the range system. I love Gelish, especially their colour range, in fact I personally think they have a better choice in colours, and they are very professional.
And so are Cnd and many other companies. But something just shouted at me "CND" and I went with my instinct. I have had amazing training and support, I only have 16 bottles of colours, but you should see the amount of colour pops I have made through using layering techniques and the additives! And I still haven't explored all the colour options!
I am now a CND girl and love it. Just remember do your research, try all the treatments, then make up your own mind.
Whatever you do decide, don't do a generic "gel" course, it really won't help you whatsoever. My course with cnd was actually cheaper than the general courses.

Oh and just to to add, the 8 minute removal time with no buffing also swayed me 😉. Hth xx

I tried both Shellac and Gelish before training and took the opportunity to ask the nail techs lots of questions ;). Pay attention to the application and removal process.

I chose Gelish as it lasted longer and also I can wear it without fear of my nails being ruined when working on clients (the Gelish Top It Off top coat is acetone resistant until surface shine is removed). I would have to wear gloves if I used Shellac on my own nails, which I would rather not do. Plus you can use Artistic Colour Gloss with Gelish for an even better range of colours (they are sister companies and compatible to be used with each system), whereas with CND Shellac you have to stick with one system.

These reasons swayed my decision, and I am glad I chose Gelish. You may find Shellac suits you better. Try them both out and then make your decision, it is a good excuse to be pampered by having your nails done by someone else! Hope that helps :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

I did a post the other day you may want to read that xx

Have to agree with all the above posts, but felt I had to just put my opinion across as I was where you are now, a year ago! In fact I didn't even know what Gelish/shellac was! (And I am a level 3 beauty therapist and l & p technician 😮). Basically I searched all the forums, took everyone's opinions on board, had the different nail treatments, so I knew the difference and then chose Shellac. Why? To me it was simple, I wanted to have 1 brand that I felt would represent me and my business ethics ( my personal opinion). i wanted to be known to offer a top of the range system. I love Gelish, especially their colour range, in fact I personally think they have a better choice in colours, and they are very professional.
And so are Cnd and many other companies. But something just shouted at me "CND" and I went with my instinct. I have had amazing training and support, I only have 16 bottles of colours, but you should see the amount of colour pops I have made through using layering techniques and the additives! And I still haven't explored all the colour options!
I am now a CND girl and love it. Just remember do your research, try all the treatments, then make up your own mind.
Whatever you do decide, don't do a generic "gel" course, it really won't help you whatsoever. My course with cnd was actually cheaper than the general courses.

Oh and just to to add, the 8 minute removal time with no buffing also swayed me 😉. Hth xx

I must say process wise I do go towards Shellac to be honest.

The buffing does turn me off a bit with Gelish. Also to be honest Shellac is so well known and has a very good reputation. I knew about Shellac ages ago but only heard of Gelish recently.

If I am not wrong Shellac is also quicker to apply than Gelish?

I will continue researching and see what will work best for me.

Thanks for your advice. M x

CND shellac is the only power polish, gel polishes are pure gel whereas shellac is only a percentage.

Before I took on Shellac in my salon, I asked for confirmation on Salon Geek that Shellac is not a gel polish and have very recently had this re confirmed by asking one of the experts in the nail industry.

Whilst Shellac performs similarly to a gel and is cured under a UV light, it contains no gel, not even a percentage.

Before I took on Shellac in my salon, I asked for confirmation on Salon Geek that Shellac is not a gel polish and have very recently had this re confirmed by asking one of the experts in the nail industry.

Whilst Shellac performs similarly to a gel and is cured under a UV light, it contains no gel, not even a percentage.

Oh really do excuse me, what is it then?

Oh really do excuse me, what is it then?

It is a long wearing power polish with photo-initiators which retains it's shine and gloss and is thicker than traditional nail polish but not as thick as gel.

Unlike gel products, It requires absolutely no buffing in the preparation of the nails, which my clients have found very beneficial, not because they don't want to try other products, but because they are nervous from having been over buffed before and hence come to the conclusion that all gels ruin nails.

Of course we as competent, trained therapists know that this is incorrect, but it is lovely to be able to offer clients a long lasting, nail strengthening product which requires no pre buffing.

This is an educational site, so I am just trying to help by sharing information which is important for both old and new therapists. I am learning all the time. No offence intended, just trying to share what I have learnt and had clarified by people I trust in the industry.

I am sorry, but that is just not accurate. Shellac from the very beginning was called a hybrid polish and it absolutely has the same ingredients that define a gel. The MSDS also clearly states that it is a "gel lacquer." It may not be "just a gel" or 100% gel, but it is definitely in the category of gel polish/lacquer.

It is a long wearing power polish with photo-initiators which retains it's shine and gloss and is thicker than traditional nail polish but not as thick as gel.

Unlike gel products, It requires absolutely no buffing in the preparation of the nails, which my clients have found very beneficial, not because they don't want to try other products, but because they are nervous from having been over buffed before and hence come to the conclusion that all gels ruin nails.

Of course we as competent, trained therapists know that this is incorrect, but it is lovely to be able to offer clients a long lasting, nail strengthening product which requires no pre buffing.

This is an educational site, so I am just trying to help by sharing information which is important for both old and new therapists. I am learning all the time. No offence intended, just trying to share what I have learnt and had clarified by people I trust in the industry.

Again, not accurate. For example, OPI is a gel and it requires no buffing in prep, but even other gels don't require it. Again, not to disparage CND Shellac, which is a wonderful product, but it is definitely a gel polish.

None taken, pretty positive it does contain the same components as other gel polishes- in some measure and form- shame s2 don't have the msds on the site as I would like to know the facts myself in black and white- may call Monday and ask for one :)

Latest posts

Back