CND Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemma brookes

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am newly qualified in cnd shellac and having a problem. In training I was told to apply one layer of base coat, 2 colour coats and then one top coat.
The problem is, when applying some of the lighter shades like the pastels I can still see my actual nail shape through the shellac. As in the line on your nail where it goes to white. I am pretty sure I am not applying too thin but really need to fix this before I start working on clients. Any ideas? Could it be due to the colours all being brand new and it being the first time of them being open and used?

With the lighter shades and pastels, I sometimes use 3 coats of colour. x

Sometimes with wishy washy colours as I put it aka pastels you can put a thin layer of white on first and then the two pastels and then top etc
It looks better this way, as your still keeping it thin and the white underneath really shows the pastels

Oh thank you so much both of you! This really helps! I did wonder about applying 3 coats but didn't know if that could affect the lasting time. I do have a white in stock so shall try both ways on myself and see which I prefer

Thank you again xx

First coat should be 'wishy washy' second coat should give full coverage, unless it's a sheer colour (check the website to find out which is which)

If your bottles are brand new make sure you have given them a really, really thorough shake to ensure all the pigments are mixed in properly. Sometimes if it still isn't giving full coverage by the second coat use a cocktail stick, right to the bottom of the bottle and give it a good stir.

Thank you so much I shall take all these tips into consideration xx

Latest posts

Back