CND & successful stories?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolag20

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am new to the forum. I have been having my nails done for 4 years now and I love the girl who does my nails. She uses CND Shellac & sometimes Gellish.

I have decided I want to go down this route as I love having my nails done and I love reading Scratch Magazine and browsing the web looking at nails..

I don't have any experience at all in beauty back ground. I work in an office and tbh I am fed up and really want a career change. I have been reading up on the CND course for beginners and have decided to go ahead and book on it I am excited.

I just wondered if there was anyone on here who has had no beauty back ground but decided this is what they fancy and taken a step forward to achieving a new career? Would love to hear other peoples stories.

Thats what i decided to do ten years ago and like you no beauty background just worked in an office, liked getting mi nails done so signed up to S2 lol and just taken from there and added on as ive got the bug 😀😀

Hi, yes I started last year, had no beauty experience, no qualifications and I trained with CND. I think it's like anything, you have to work hard and practice, practice, practice. I've still got a lot of training to do, but I love it am am so glad I started. Can be very scary when you literally no nothing but on my shellac course we were all new so everyone was in the same boat! Good luck x

Hi there

I did exactly the same thing as u r doing - I loved getting my nails done but as a stay at home mom I could not do it as regularly as I wanted! So I decided that if I became a nail tech I could work at home, around my family schedule and have my nails look great all the time! So last year I did the cnd shellac beginners course, converted a room in my house to a nail room and have had so much fun! I don't feel like I'm working when I do nails - im having too much fun laughing and chatting with my lovely clients. All the ladies I have had so far are lovely and all say how relaxing it is getting their nails done. Best thing I have ever done! It's a bit quiet at the moment but hopefully will pick up in the next few months.

Well good luck with your new venture!! Hope everything goes well xx

Thats what i decided to do ten years ago and like you no beauty background just worked in an office, liked getting mi nails done so signed up to S2 lol and just taken from there and added on as ive got the bug 😀😀

This :D
12 years ago, still here, still loving it :D

I believe my CND training to have been the best around, I've been on Salon Geek as long I have been a Tech and no-one ever posts that their CND training was lacking, however, plenty of other colleges/courses/companies have received some negative press at some point.

It's expensive, but never has the motto 'buy cheap, buy twice' been more relevant than with nail services training

Good luck with your new adventure

Up until I had my son in 2012, my career was in Merchant Banking so couldn't be much different.

I got a decent bonus before I went on maternity leave and I swore to invest it in a new career as I wanted to work for myself and dictate my own hours once my son was old enough for me to send him to nursery a couple of days a week.

I did the CND beginners course last year followed by the manicure and pedicure course. Now booked in for art and style and thinking of doing the Brisa Lite sculpting course. My CND trainer is bloody amazing. She's so personable, yet professional, the courses have been much more in depth than I expected but I've learned so much and feel confident talking to clients about their nails.

I highly recommend them. As has been said, it's quite an investment but it's money well spent in my opinion.

I've also dipped a toe into Gel II and will be doing the conversion course next month so I'm covered by my insurance to offer it to clients.

I often feel like a bit of a fraud listening to these lovely ladies who have spent years at college training but they give great advice and have been very welcoming.

As for my business, it's been slow to start but it's a saturated market so you need to keep plugging at it. I advertise on all my local FB groups regularly. I have my own FB page, a webite and have delivered more leaflets than you can shake a stick at.

However, the clients I've had have rebooked a few times now and seem to be enjoying my work. I have two new clients on Friday and slowly, but surely, my little business is coming together.

It takes a while but I absolutely love what I'm doing now. :D

Thank you ladies for all your replies. Its lovely to read all these positive stories it makes me so positive and determined to make it work for myself.

I'm hoping one day I can make a living out of it even if its only a few clients I have to start off somewhere and eventually go onto acrylics, tan :) I would love to decorate a little room in my house and have friends and family come round for their nails :) lets just hope I am good at it. cant wait to get started on the 16th of Feb.

have any of you done the cnd acrylics course? if so how did you find it?

I do the Shellac course tomorrow and after reading different stories I didn't know if to do the Brisa Lite course.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using SalonGeek mobile app

There are better courses to do first to be honest. The spa manicure and spa pedicure are excellent.

In my case I needed to practice the basics before going into sculpting but see what your trainer says 😀

Well I already can do heated mitts manicure and was going to do shellac course for a bit before doing Brisa Lite one anyway.

It's great to hear your success stories......but I find it hard to imagine how you are able to earn a living comparable to a salaried job.
I have been self employed for many years now, and when I 'tot' up the hours spent working on client's, further training, cleaning/washing towels, marketing, book work, buying stock etc....it's ALOT of work, for little financial reward.
I love my profession, that is why I do it. However, given my time again....would I......:|

I am doing all this alongside my full time job.

Admittedly, for me it's currently not even started to pay its way but I love it and I'm willing to work any times I reasonably can between being a mum and sleeping.

My husband has been a hero and looks after our son so I can work in the evenings and next year he goes to school (my son, not my husband :D) so I'm hoping I'll have got through any rookie mistakes by then and be really competent so I can hammer it. I want to be the best, the most adventurous, highly skilled tech in my area. Nothing else will do and I'm willing to work very hard for it. Its a saturated market and only the best will do.

I don't believe I'm even 10% of the way there yet but im going to try my very best.

Apologies, that went a bit Martin Luther King didn't it :)

I'm the same as OP. No previous experience, but it's something I love having done myself and I can be a bit of a perfectionist so I know I'll strive for the best. I start the course on 14th February :)

All the best with your course & new career, Nicola! I was the same nearly 10 years ago - doing an office job & envied the beautician that I regularly visited. So glad I changed direction. I dived in & did as many beauty courses that I could. 2 years ago, I added the CND Shellac 'string' to my 'bow' & not looked back! Business is constantly building & I love it. And being mobile too, I have a very varied day & love being my own boss!

Loving all these posts. Thank you guys. I do imagine it takes time to build up success. I wouldn't quit my job any time soon. I am only starting out and looking forward to practising on my family and friends.

I am worried about this online quiz that you need to pass before hand. My text book should arrive today so ill be studying as much as I can. Exciting times ahead.

What should I expect on the training? Can anyone actually fail? Lol theres me doubting myself already :eek:

What should I expect on the training? Can anyone actually fail? Lol theres me doubting myself already :eek:

The training will be hard, nothing worth doing is easy :lol: You will be given plenty of support, everything you need to succeed except for passion and determination, those you have to bring with you. Relax, you're in great hands

Thank you :) cant wait

There's a lot to learn, but you can re-take the test if you don't pass it. You also have a test after your first day where your pass rate is higher. There is a lot to take in but you learn so much and the knowledge is invaluable. You re-do some theory the morning of your first day, do PEP in the afternoon then learn the application and removal of shellac on your second day with some more theory. A great course... U will be pleased you chose to take it. Hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back