CND vs Bio Sculpture

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikki201

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I'm planning on sending my therapist on a gel course. I feel most clients love shellac but some need something that wee bit stronger. Can anyone give me any advice? One of my clients raves about Bio Sculpture saying it's healthy for the nails and her nails do look better whereas with shellac they were dry. I thought it was the acetone and wondered what you remove bio sculpture with?

Thanks,
Nicola

I love Bio Sculpture. You can use it to sculpt, over a tip extension or as an overlay. There are different strength finishing gels so you can tailor the treatment to the client. They have a mani & pedi range too, varnishes to match to the gel and I have found the customer service I receive is excellent. In answer to your question you use their gel remover to remove the product. I have used it for 8 years and won't stop anytime soon.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think Brisa Lite to Bio Sculpture be a better comparison. Shellac isn't designed for strength or support.

I have shellac and bio in my salon....lots love shellac but lots love bio too as they can guarantee how long they get from bio no matter what they are doing snd nails still look healthy. It soaks off with acetone also, i think its just shellac that makes nails on older clients dry. I m guessing this is something to do with the tiny tunnels and water being abke to penetrate (im just guessing this)

I would also add that bio sculpture for me would sit inbetween shellac and brisa lite with shellac not as strong as and brisa lite stronger than bio.

Logical guess, but the dehydration effect you are seeing is more likely to be down to frequency of removal. Any coating (even polish) will prevent daily detergent and solvent use from stripping oils from the nail plate (which exist to lock moisture in the nail). So Shellac (and really any coating) will actually help protect the nails from dehydration up to the point you soak and saturate the nails in Acetone/Remover (especially if you are soaking). My guess is you aren't fully removing your Bio from your clients every couple of weeks?

Thats interesting but i have clients who have had both shellac and bio both done every three weeks and yet there nails were dryer from wearing shellac than it is was from wearing bio.

Sure. And there may even be people who have had the reverse, but correlation doesn't imply causation. The dehydration isn't caused from wearing a coating, it comes from the frequency of removal, the length of time in solvent for removal and other influencing factors like general nail plate condition and what efforts each use to keep their nails in good condition between appointments.

The nail plate is very porous to allow moisture to move freely from the bed to the surface. Oils "block" moisture in and thus "moisturize" by preventing the moisture from evaporating or being removed from hand washing (and other dehydrating effects). All nail products from polish to hard gels are less porous than the nail plate. While wearing a coating, the nail plate can increase in moisture content more than 17% depending on the porosity and frequency of removal (and dehydration).

It suppose you could theorize that Bio may be less porous than Shellac (I really have no idea) which could lead to a larger build up of moisture between soak offs, but I think that is splitting hairs. The real culprit to dry nails from any Gel Colour service is directly attributed to the frequency of removal, the amount of removals the client has experienced, how gung ho the tech(s) have been in the past in removing and the overall health of the clients nails.

I suspect if you were to take the same "virgin" customer (if you could get them to do this) and do one hand Shellac every 2 weeks for 4 months and one hand Bio every week for 2 months (and don't damage the nail in either application and remove both fully) that both hands would be pretty much exactly the same.

HTHs

I have started using a hot water bottle over the clients hands whilst they soak off and this REALLY shortens the time.
I use the Bio remover to soak off all gel polishes and that is less drying also.
After removal immediately put the Bio hydrating products to soak in also.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi Geek I would like to stick with CND as I have spent so much money on it. I gave all the shellac colours. I am thinking of sending my therapist on an extra course as I feel done clients need something stronger would Brisa lite be the answer? Could u apply shellac over this?

Thanks for all your replies ladies they have been very helpful
Nicola

I disagree that all dehydration comes from removal. I have had dehydration with customers using vinylux polish which is removed with acetone free polish remover. I also have read that the gel polish shrinks as it hardens could this not be causing dehydration to nail plate? Each gel polish brand is a different ratio of gel to polish. I have found some brands more dehydrating than others all are 2 week wear time and same soak off.

Hi Geek I would like to stick with CND as I have spent so much money on it. I gave all the shellac colours. I am thinking of sending my therapist on an extra course as I feel done clients need something stronger would Brisa lite be the answer? Could u apply shellac over this?

Nicola

Hi,

Shellac can be used over enhancements xx

I disagree that all dehydration comes from removal. I have had dehydration with customers using vinylux polish which is removed with acetone free polish remover. I also have read that the gel polish shrinks as it hardens could this not be causing dehydration to nail plate? Each gel polish brand is a different ratio of gel to polish. I have found some brands more dehydrating than others all are 2 week wear time and same soak off.
I understand why you may think that, but I would disagree.

Acetone Free polish remover is still a solvent and dehydrating. And all products shrink when cured, gel overlays even more than most.

Wearing coatings actually hydrates the nail. This is because it is harder for oil and moisture to escape the nail while wearing a coating. A coating also keeps day to day solvents and detergents from stripping away surface oils (which work to lock moisture in the nail). This is why the nail plate will increase in moisture content up to 17% while wearing a coating.

So knowing that, the only left over culprit is removal. The good news is that the dehydration is only temporary. This is why the skin turns white when acetone is applied, but then shortly after returns to its natural colour; temporary dehydration.

Finally, prep and removal methods can influence the dehydration effect dramatically. A damaged nail will lose moisture much faster than a healthy nail.

HTHs

Nicola
I know this is an old post, but only just saw this so thought I would answer for prosperity!

If the nail plate needs a stronger foundation, Brisa Lite is a perfect solution. The only caveat is that it is designed to remove easily so if you were applying Shellac over the surface, you may want to file it off rather than soak. If a more permanent, solvent resistant solution is needed, try original Brisa as it is far more solvent resistant.

Saying that, if you put an enhancement over the natural nail, I would simply use Vinylux instead of Shellac as you will get pretty much the same wearability and other benefits, but it will cost you much less to apply and be even faster to remove.

Hi,

Shellac can be used over enhancements xx
Tinkerbell is correct. But as per my post above, I would personally encourage Vinylux as over enhancements, the benefits of Shellac over an enhancement vs Vinylux don't really outweigh the cost to the professional.

Latest posts

Back