CND weakens nails? Any other product recommend without buffing, like London Ink

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmumzoe

Reaction score
I've had a few clients who have now got weak nails due to the CND . I'm a bit concerned about this .
Can anyone recommend any other products which are good and don't use buffing or cause weak nails ??
Thanks X

Can you go into more detail? How has CND weakened nails?

It isn't generally products which damage nails but technicians.

Well I do everything as I should on my clients but I've had a few ladies saying they feel the CND has weakened there nails .
They may have naturally weak nails anyway but this is what they are saying ! Not sure what to think !

I've had a few clients who have now got weak nails due to the CND . I'm a bit concerned about this .
Can anyone recommend any other products which are good and don't use buffing or cause weak nails ??
Thanks X
Are you referring to CND Shellac? I've been using this for 20 months now and have never found it weakens the natural nail if the nail is prepped correctly and removed correctly.
I have had clients pick their shellac off which has caused damage and clients that don't use cuticle oil their nails can become dry over time but that's their choice not to use it as much as I tell them!!
What do you mean by the nails becoming weak? I've also used ink london and their application and removal process is exactly the same as shellac. X

Yes sorry CND shellac , oh ok that's reassuring . I prepare correctly and remove correctly . I was thinking of offering a gel aswell so clients have a choice and not just shellac . X

The client is saying her nail feels weak that's all she has told me . I haven't seen her to know for my self yet just thought I would ask incase anyone has had a situation like this

Maybe your buffing a little too much. I use ibd, and my mum has quite weak nails (due to menopause) without the gel polish on they are very weak. I have found she has less breakages etc when I keep on top of them for her. Maybe you are over buffing a little? Be careful to only remove the shine. But it could be that there is an external factor that has changed I.e medications and she hasn't connected the two. I do find meds and hormones effect ppls nails more than they realise. You could also look to introduce ibx. It's a really great treatment x

There shouldn't be any buffing at all before applying cnd shellac.
If you buff every fortnight then yes the nail will get thinner!

I don't buff with CND shellac there is no need

You are correct that buffing is something to be avoided. That was always one of CND Shellac's selling points - no buffing. OPI says that it is optional. But many people use other brands of gel polish without buffing to no ill effect.

Yes sorry CND shellac , oh ok that's reassuring . I prepare correctly and remove correctly . I was thinking of offering a gel aswell so clients have a choice and not just shellac . X
If your prep and removal is correct and youre not buffing the natural nail then it's nothing you are doing and certainly I've never heard or experienced shellac weakening the nails.
Also how would she know her nails are weak unless she has removed it herself as shellac always makes the nails feel stronger.... or is she telling you this at her appointment when you have removed it? Maybe she's just got used to how strong they feel with shellac on so when you remove it, they feel weak to her??
I got ink london to run alongside shellac as i thought it was a gel and would be good for clients who needed something stronger but it's a hybrid so very similar to shellac in terms of how long it lasts (well that's what I found anyway) hope that helps xx

Maybe try a pure gel product rather than a hybrid. Think you need to get to bottom of why she thinks that though! Maybe like pp says its during removal, her nails will be softer from the soaking too. And we all know they don't look to pretty after being in acetone! X

The nourishing remover will solve any problems with the nails looking bad after removal. I use shellac and gelish and I use the nourishing remover and there is no dryness at all xx

I use shellac at work as my boss likes it, a lot of clients find they have to have a break from it every few months as it weakens nails but there's a great retail opportunity here as cnd do a rescue polish. We get clients to use this between shellac breaks!

For my mobile business I use IBD. My clients don't need breaks from this unless they have picked it off. I prefer IBD personally.

Hope that all helps X

Is she oiling daily while wearing her shellac? That will keep her nails well nourished and in good condition.

Does she ever peel her shellac off? Taking a layer of nail plate with it?

Genuine CND Shellac does not weaken nails when proper procedures are adhered to and oil used daily. I would suggest anyone finding that they think it does should examine their application & removal techniques, product (ie supplier - is it from an authorised distributor) or look at client home care.

Can you go into more detail? How has CND weakened nails?

It isn't generally products which damage nails but technicians.

Also clients who bite or take off the products themselves. I have a client who loves peeling shellac off or cracking acrylic off with her teeth.

Also clients who bite or take off the products themselves. I have a client who loves peeling shellac off or cracking acrylic off with her teeth.
At least she admits it. Some just lie but you can tell by the trauma marks

At least she admits it. Some just lie but you can tell by the trauma marks

It's so disheartening. You think all that effort [emoji17][emoji17] but what can u do? She peeled the shellac off her toes too! And if you saw her nails after the urge you would think it was all product or application but no it's all her doing.

Latest posts

Back